323 messages Options
123456 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
  hope the forecast for Friday and Saturday shifts to colder temps.
I hope so too!

Sundown on the 18th and my trails open up
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Oh, no!!! There was a strange voice on the snow phone tonight! But, at least this time they mentioned the conditions. The last faux-Wes failed to do so. For those of us who tend to skip loose granular days after crappy weather, this was annoying. Nothing like guessing about conditions and showing up to find that you will be skiing on ice cubes. :P
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It will be good skiing this weekend
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
You're not kidding!!!! Today was great!  They opened Illiad. I wasn't sure how it would be, but it was really nice!!

I lucked out and rode up with some off duty instructors a couple of times. On the first ride up, we talked about skis. They happened to be at the bottom when I came off of Illiad, and one of them gave me some pointers on my technique. How nice is that????
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

Glad you had a good day WP

Greek is now open for the season and guns fire back up tonight
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
How cool!!!

Dinner in a bubble, cold temps be damned!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Did anyone go today? If so, how was it? I would really like to support the food drive, but "loose granular" makes me run in the opposite direction. :P
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
I went and skied for a couple hours. It was fine considering the rain this week. Firm and crunchy and fast, some compressions to watch for, an occasional spot of groomer tread boilerplate. It wasn’t great and it wasn’t  terrible. Very light crowd. If it’s packed tomorrow I’d avoid.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
With the couple o inches we got last night today should be good skiing. It will be crowded given it's 5 dolla day.

I hear the new groomer is doing good things??
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
The good news is that GP put stickers on the gates of the quad, that say "Lean on me".

The bad news is the conditions today. I wanted to work on my turns, and work on the pointers I was given last time I went. So, I started on Karyatis, because it should be easy and forgiving as I figure things out. Wrong. It was pretty much as bad as I have seen. The lower part of it was good, but I wanted to stay upright, so I headed over to the Bunny slope. I have a theory that they keep the Bunny slope in better shape than the rest of the mountain.

Wrong. I got caught up in some shrapnel, ended up backards, and called it a day after two runs. It was not worth getting hurt on the Bunny slope, just to say I skied.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
Good job on the report for the bunny slope and Karyatis WP👍.  Everything else was firm, but edgeable today.  There was shrapnel elsewhere, but the worst was on karyatis.  Crowds were minimal today with little if any wait for the quad.  Thanks Santa for bringing GP management the nice new signs for the gates at the lift
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Glad I found the worst shrapnel!
But, I am glad to hear that the trails I didn't ski were in better shape. I'll try again tomorrow. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
A TOTALLY different mountain today!  Not only, could I ski, but I could ski forwards, which was a big change from yesterday!  Iliad was really nice, so I stayed there, except for one run down Fields and Stoic, which weren't as good. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't get much rain!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My fingers are crossed!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Well, I haven't skied Greek Peak yet this season, as the rain has been forcing me to make the drive to Killington. Anyway, this weekend looks like the Arctic, and I see they are making snow.

How has the skiing been?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yes, the guns are up and running again.

I hit Trax for a couple beers with the crew on Sunday. They said it was better than they had expected so take that for whatever it's worth. As you said the cold is setting back in so hopefully Ma-Natch will shake her money maker soon!
Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
Conditions Saturday morning into afternoon were great, all things considered with what they've had to work with.  The rain stopped early, the sun came out, and the snow softened up nicely.  Not much open, but what was open was in good shape.

Sunday morning into early afternoon was OK, a mixture of snow, wind, and overcast with a few periods of sunshine.  As the afternoon went on, the wind picked up and the temp dropped, so some of the loose snow got blown off, and there was a fair amount of ice and hardpack left.  

But, the good news is they had guns running all over as of Sunday closing.  The hill guys are certainly busting their butts getting stuff back out and operating.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Thanks for the updates. They are much appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reports are in --- it was darn right full on POW today
123456 ... 17