classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
323 messages Options
1234567 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

pro2860
Yes lots of POW, lots of wind, and lots of snow guns blowing!
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I got five inches of lake effect at my house, half an hour away from GP. They were catching some bands that missed me. Should be a great weekend!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ANNND... WILL THERE BE ANY PICS, EVER, IN THIS THREAD?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Next time I end up backwards on the Bunny slope, amidst schrapnel, I will make sure to post a picture!
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
ANNND... WILL THERE BE ANY PICS, EVER, IN THIS THREAD?

I’ll be there on Sunday, Harv.  I’ll see what I can do👍
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Pics complements of Harv's good buddy.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I was lazy and didn't get there until 10. Bad move on my part. The parking lot was full because of the race. The top of Iliad was also skied off. Trojan was a bit rough. Fields was variable, but nice. Stoic was a dream! :) Lots of nice snow and perfect.

There were whales all over the place. Tomorrow should be even better!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
WP --- don't forget about Cristy's  Run ----- if you can hit it before they set up for NASTAR it typically has some of the best snow on the hill. Whenever I ski Fields I always will hit Cristy's instead of Stoic, for me it has less traffic and I almost always have that trail to myself.

Glad you had a good day --- I'm at work
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
Nice bluebird day today.  There were a few areas where it was skied off, but for the most part the the snow was fast, chalky, and edgeable.  Cover in the trees was very thin, but they were skiable as long as you were cautious.  

If favorable snowmaking conditions continue through this week, and the potential upcoming snowstorm materializes, next weekend could be pretty good
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Bring on the snow!!! We need some!  I got there are 9:30 this morning, and by that time there were patches on Iliad and Fields that had been skied off, but the skiing was ok.  They also had only had the quad running, and things were a bit slow loading  (There needs to be something on the waiver that says, "I will respect the fact that people are skiing, want to get on the lift, and will take my boring cell phone conversations away from the lift line. Junior and I will discuss pb&j vs. bananas at another location, as well.")  So, due to stupidity and rudeness in the lift line, I went over to chair 4.  Trojan skied really nice for four runs, and then started to get skied off, and it was time to adult.

Sadly, I think that my ski pants, which are only a few years old, are no longer waterproof in the posterior region.  :p  I left my skis for a tune up, and am hoping that the windchill won't be as bad as they say,so I can ski tomorrow!
Reply | Threaded
|

Scersk
Mrs. Scersk and I were there today too. Best snow was probably on skiers right of Elysian Fields and skiers left of Iliad—the bumpy spots. Mars Hill was nice; Trojan was indeed surprisingly scratchy underneath the cover.

Very happy that Mars Hill was open. That whole complex could hold a lot of skiers if fully open, methinks.

The fresh snow after 1 certainly helped.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
So is chair 2 out of commission?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Chair 2 didn't run over the weekend?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Nope. Pretty sure it hasn't run at all this year Camp.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Amazing

My fave run on the entire hill is off that chair

Glad I have sleds, saves the frustration
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Great skiing yesterday. They didn't have staff there to open lifts - not a huge deal as it allowed moving from area to area as they opened.

Apparently it's kosher to skin up, even on a powder day. Not an official policy, but clearly allowed so if you got skins go for it...people did yesterday.

Chair 4 seems to be having problems with minor rollbacks - kind of scary. Chair 2 is out of commission.

They left huge frozen snow piles on Alcemene and put up some orange fencing around them to create a 15 foot wide pinch point between a snow pile and a lift tower. That was beautiful. Apparently they forgot to take that new $1M groomer up it on Friday or Saturday.

And the parking is a f-cking free for all. There was a truck with NJ plates literally parked IN the f-cking entry road - not even slightly on the right side of the post marking the parking spots. Right at the end of row 2...left just a car width to get through. And they should have towed the asshole.

The local vibe is gone from Greek. They're becoming Mtn Creek North.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Rollbacks are no joke. They’re extremely dangerous. If that’s accurate, the chair shouldn’t be in service. May be a good time for GP Partner to chime in.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Brownski wrote
Rollbacks are no joke. They’re extremely dangerous. If that’s accurate, the chair shouldn’t be in service. May be a good time for GP Partner to chime in.
Then I want to be careful not to mischaracterize what happened. Twice when riding it the lift stopped and then rolled backward maybe 5 to 10 feet and jerked to a stop. In talking with my buddy who was there later than me yesterday he told me he heard there was a rollback of 30ish feet - so I wasn't there for that one, and I was removed from the source so can't verify the comment.

Maybe those incidents aren't serious - I don't know. They don't feel good when it happens.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
billyymc wrote
Brownski wrote
Then I want to be careful not to mischaracterize what happened. Twice when riding it the lift stopped and then rolled backward maybe 5 to 10 feet and jerked to a stop. In talking with my buddy who was there later than me yesterday he told me he heard there was a rollback of 30ish feet - so I wasn't there for that one.

Maybe those incidents aren't serious - I don't know. They don't feel good when it happens.
That’s a rollback all right. Do you know if the 30 footer was followed by a long stop? That might indicate the liftie had to hit the E-brake. A little bit of slack when they stop the lift might not be alarming I guess but five feet sounds like a lot of slack. Thirty feet of rollback is serious- that sounds like a ticking time bomb.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Brownski wrote
billyymc wrote
Brownski wrote
Then I want to be careful not to mischaracterize what happened. Twice when riding it the lift stopped and then rolled backward maybe 5 to 10 feet and jerked to a stop. In talking with my buddy who was there later than me yesterday he told me he heard there was a rollback of 30ish feet - so I wasn't there for that one.

That’s a rollback all right. Do you know if the 30 footer was followed by a long stop? That might indicate the liftie had to hit the E-brake. A little bit of slack when they stop the lift might not be alarming I guess but five feet sounds like a lot of slack. Thirty feet of rollback is serious- that sounds like a ticking time bomb.
I don't know how long it stopped and I can't verify if there was even a rollback of that magnitude. I think it's one of those things that probably feels longer than it actually is because they seem a bit alarming. So it wouldn't surprise me if what someone characterized as 30 feet was closer to 10 feet.

I believe that yesterday many people had trouble getting to work - and several of the lifties didn't look famiar to me so may have been filling in (not saying that they were not qualified to be doing their job).

There is a funny claim on GP's facebook page that they were trying to recruit customers to help with lift operations. I'd find that hard to believe.

1234567 ... 17