classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
323 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

scrundy
I cut my teeth at Greek, but 4 years ago I got tired of the bullshit, got a night pass at Elk now. Couldn’t be happier as they really know how to take care of the mountain. Really unfortunate because Greek skis better. Still hoping they get their shit together as I would return. IMHO that new lift was a mistake should of put the money into snow making, damb thing stops all the time. Don’t know where the problem is? Up top? If so they should plant a few snow guns up there and build up the exit ramp so it’s more easier for beginners to exit. I only wish them the best
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
scrundy wrote
I cut my teeth at Greek, but 4 years ago I got tired of the bullshit, got a night pass at Elk now. Couldn’t be happier as they really know how to take care of the mountain. Really unfortunate because Greek skis better. Still hoping they get their shit together as I would return. IMHO that new lift was a mistake should of put the money into snow making, damb thing stops all the time. Don’t know where the problem is? Up top? If so they should plant a few snow guns up there and build up the exit ramp so it’s more easier for beginners to exit. I only wish them the best
At least part of the issue is the conveyor, which serves no purpose. The reason for the conveyor is so they can run the lift at a higher speed, which they don't. So just get rid of the conveyor and all the problems associated with it, and let people load the traditional way. That would solve part of the problem with the quad.

For all their improvements, if they can't reliably get people up the mountain what's the point?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Cornhead wrote
Really, they own the place, I paid for a season's pass to Greek, they can't manage Greek properly. Too much to ask? Homer, and you don't even ski there anymore.
It's simple --- your pass is to Greek, not Tog. They sell a combined pass so if you want to ski both places buy the combined pass, right? So yeah, imo, looking for something for nothing is too much to ask for.

No we don't ski anymore. We ride sleds at still support out local hill with our money at Trax year round. Having that place right in our backyards is super fun.
Sweet, I'm glad Greek is committed to having a bar for snowmobilers. I think after 25yrs it may be time to pay up for Elk. Greek will probably have the balls to raise their season pass prices after the fiasco this year has been. Happy sledding!

Hey, isn't drinking and sledding illegal? Oh, you probably go there for the $10 hamburgers, or is it the $1.30 apiece wings?
Greek is committed to all people who want to go there and have fun. If you aren't having fun there then head to Elk. Maybe they'll give you something for nothing, that's just so bizarre.

yes, being intoxicated on a sled is the same as in a car. You drink a few beers then drive home, right?

Yep, the food is really good there -- didn't eat there yesterday as it was slammed busy in there and we didn't want to wait. had a beer then headed home to my venison chili that had been cooking all day.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by scrundy
scrundy wrote
I couldn't agree more with this ^^^^

Problem with the lift is the previous owners had promised a new lift for years and years without coming through. The new guys were almost forced into it. I would much rather have seen snowmaking upgrades vs that new lift.

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Cornhead wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Cornhead wrote
Really, they own the place, I paid for a season's pass to Greek, they can't manage Greek properly. Too much to ask? Homer, and you don't even ski there anymore.
It's simple --- your pass is to Greek, not Tog. They sell a combined pass so if you want to ski both places buy the combined pass, right? So yeah, imo, looking for something for nothing is too much to ask for.

No we don't ski anymore. We ride sleds at still support out local hill with our money at Trax year round. Having that place right in our backyards is super fun.
Sweet, I'm glad Greek is committed to having a bar for snowmobilers. I think after 25yrs it may be time to pay up for Elk. Greek will probably have the balls to raise their season pass prices after the fiasco this year has been. Happy sledding!

Hey, isn't drinking and sledding illegal? Oh, you probably go there for the $10 hamburgers, or is it the $1.30 apiece wings?
Greek is committed to all people who want to go there and have fun. If you aren't having fun there then head to Elk. Maybe they'll give you something for nothing, that's just so bizarre.

yes, being intoxicated on a sled is the same as in a car. You drink a few beers then drive home, right?

Yep, the food is really good there -- didn't eat there yesterday as it was slammed busy in there and we didn't want to wait. had a beer then headed home to my venison chili that had been cooking all day.
Something for nothing? I got a double chair with a 100yd long line for $540, sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Apparently the 1% have issues w/ chairs too.  150 folks evac from Stowe lift on Sunday.  Its not just Gore and GP.
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Agree they are all mechanical, but at some point you got to address the problem. Elk had some issues early season, I got stuck on lift for 25 min and even when it started up it crawled to top. Deference is they delt with it. Elks lifts are slow but gotta say rarely stop. I do top to bottom in 10 min average, 12 or so runs a night is plenty for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I skied Greek this weekend, and they had problems with chair 5 on Saturday and Sunday. However, Sunday was a complete Shitfest.  Chair 4 and 1A were both down at the same time. They opened 1, but the line was down to the deck stairs.

They could have started chair 2, but Ron said that they would not be doing so until 11:00.

Some of the difficulty IMO is that they do as little as possible in terms of preventive maintenance. They wait until things break, and then put a band-aid on them.

Next year, they will be installing Windham's old triple chair. I'm sure that will go well.

What also struck me this weekend were the Windham chairs they hung on lift 5. Some of them were Hall chairs (just like the one's they removed, but with footrests), some were a galvanized steel brand that I did not recognize. Instead of painting the Hall chairs before re-assembling them, they simply assembled and hung them--with some rust and all. They also didn't bother replacing any of the missing rubber on the footrests.

I'm also scratching my head over the chair 5 snow making upgrades. They did run air and water pipe on a portion of Upper Mars, but not all of it. They also installed about six tower guns (with compressors) on Mars, but not the entire trail. My guess is that they are upgrading the snow making in phases.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Hoser
Hoser wrote
Apparently the 1% have issues w/ chairs too.  150 folks evac from Stowe lift on Sunday.  Its not just Gore and GP.
QFT
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I would sue the motherfuckers and their families for everything they have and will have in the future..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Camp - the difference is there has been ongoing lift issues at GP all season. This isn't a one-time thing, it's an every damn day thing. You don't ski, so you don't get it.

I don't know what lift issues Stowe has - haven't skied there in a couple years but never really encountered lift problems when I have.

So I'll repeat what I said - GP has lift problems every F'ing day and they are a major pain in the ass. I can't speak to the cause - whether it's a maintenance issue, a staffing issue, or just the fact that some of their lifts are older than dirt, but they need to sort it out.

I've skied at Lab a few times this year and their lifts are old but I haven't seen any issues like Greek has. They want to be the premier central NY hill, fix the fucking lift problems.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
What are the problems? They stop too often?
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I think the major problems are staffing. They don't have enough people to start with, college kids that can't seem to make it in, people calling in sick, etc. Normally there are 3-4 people per lift. I skiied yesterday from noon til 2 and there were 2 people working each lift...1 on top and 1 on bottom. They ran the quad and chair 2. Chair 4 was spinning but not loading so apparently they were working on it...I know that Sunday was worse than normal with problems. The conveyor was jerking shortly before they shut it down to fix it. This may be related to the sign that asks people to not stomp their skis or boards on the conveyor...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yikes -- 1 on top and 1 on bottom??

That's not so good. That is a problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
What are the problems? They stop too often?
They've barely run Chair 2 this year.

The quad seems to break down and close on a regular basis. Plus people can't load properly. If you ride it on the weekend it may stop 3 or 4 times in a single ride. Oh did I mention it breaks down regularly? And the conveyor stutters? And when it does go down sometimes they have to call a guy named Ron who apparently has the magic key to restart the lift, but he may be off tending to other lift problems so it might take Ron a while to get there with the magic key.

Chair 1 runs faster than the express quad. Since the express quad doesn't run fast, and the conveyor is unnecessary, get rid of the conveyor.

The alpha slope lift screams like a banshee every time they stop it. I know because when the quad and 1 both closed last week we had to ride 3 to get anywhere.

The lifts open at vague unpredictable times, instead of you know...when the place opens.

Chair 4 seems to have issues with minor rollbacks. I've experienced a couple, and heard of others.

Besides those things the lifts are perfect and inspire total confidence.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I've never liked the new 1A  ----  chair 1 has always been the fastest.

I would always ski chair 4 when the snow was good cause you could lap the thing with zero issues. Sucks that is having issues now as well.

Glad I have sleds ---- Billy, stop by chair 5 party Sunday for a beer on me bro
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Hey, Camp!  Let's just say I wanted to go to your throwdown on Sunday.  What do I need to know?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It's at Chair 5 normally peeps start showing up around 11 or so. There's normally tons of food so no worries there but you may want to bring whatever you want to drink.
I'm no longer in charge, rather just an attendee. Last year my partner in crime retired and now winter's in Florida, so we passed the torch to BrandoTheSkiGod. This will be the 18th Annual #A18
Look for a tall dude in snowmobile gear and say hi. That will be me
1 ... 3456789 ... 17