classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hickory Alpine Club

Snowballs
Banned User
For the many people's money, Matt is correct. It seems only generous benefactors might take this arrangement.

The Hickory board seems to want to keep things as they are for the most part. That's an unsustainable model.

Hickory.....It's Hard !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
   There another higher level of membership with $2000 annual dues and a $10K initiation fee.  That level of membership includes access to club lodging.  
Geezus......that level of membership should come with hookers and blow

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
It seems only generous benefactors might take this arrangement.
Is Hickory a business, or a charity? Build a church at the base and claim not for profit status.

The only people who could get excited about what Hickory is proposing are those who want the "status' of having bought into something they want to be part of, because that's all they're getting. That's fine if that's what they want.

This sounds like an idea conceived after a powder day, over several beers, shots, and a few bottles of wine.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
billyymc wrote
This sounds like an idea conceived after a powder day, over several beers, shots, and a few bottles of wine.
Or one too many tokes.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
PeeTex wrote
billyymc wrote
Or one too many tokes.
Is that even possible?
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Here is the big question... did DEC ever give Hickory their Hudson water rights?  We always heard that the reason they don't have snow making is due to this.  If they still don't have final approval it could be a long time off before pumping can start (if at all!).  There are some crazy environmentalists out there that could put the brakes on this fast if everything is not signed by now.  

Also, is there any plans (or even a thought) to replace one of the Poma's?  I know this is a travesty to even say it but even an old fixed grip double (or single!) would bring around the mountains viability.  This would go a long way to get the mountain self supporting without needing to rely on the club only.  I've been trying to get my wife to ski hickory for a few years... every time I mention it she says I'm not going up the hill on a Poma... and the discussion ends.  I know, the Poma is the half the reason people like the hill... but... there is a reason no one has them anymore.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote

No, I'm pretty sure it was conceived after someone realized the annual loss on the balance sheets could not continue, and a new plan was conceived. Sink or swim. Well, maybe a bottle of scotch was cracked in the process.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
mattchuck2 wrote
It's just too much money.
billyymc wrote
The only people who could get excited about what Hickory is proposing are those who want the "status' of having bought into something they want to be part of, because that's all they're getting. That's fine if that's what they want.
I don’t think people are going to join the Hickory Alpine Club simply because of the economics of the lift tickets / passes.  What Hickory needs is a base of skiers/supporters who are willing to pay a premium in order to keep Hickory alive.  For all the love skiers claim to have for Hickory, I can’t see how that would be confused with “status.” It’s people getting behind something they feel is worth saving.

Footer wrote
Here is the big question... did DEC ever give Hickory their Hudson water rights?  
My understanding is that all of the necessary permits are in place.

Benny Profane wrote
I'm pretty sure it was conceived after someone realized the annual loss on the balance sheets could not continue, and a new plan was conceived. Sink or swim.
From what I know that’s pretty much spot on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Snowballs wrote
It seems only generous benefactors might take this arrangement.
Is Hickory a business, or a charity? Build a church at the base and claim not for profit status.
Right now, it's really neither. For some years, it's been more of a privately owned entity/club that is now trying to become a viable business. I hope they succeed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Supposedly there is an apres-ski Hickory Alpine Club info session at Hickory tomorrow (Jan 1).  Anybody going?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
It'd be nice to get an update on how this is going.  There hasn't been any activity on the HAC facebook page in over a month, since just after the announcement.

Personally I've decided the club doesn't make sense for my family.  I've asked a number of people who I thought might be interested, no takers.  Anybody here going to join?  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I have to earn a lot more money before I'm ready to be a benevolent benefactor.

Good luck to them, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
I won't be joining.  BTW, great view of West Mt trails from the Queensbury high school xc trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
WARRENSBURG, NY - Mark your après-ski calendars for next Sunday (2/15) at 4 pm. Hickory Ski Center will be hosting an information session about the Hickory Alpine Club and the role the club will play in making Hickory viable for generations to come. We’ll kick off the session at 4 pm and complimentary snacks and beverages (including the adult kind for those over 21) will be served.

Even if you're skiing Gore Mountain in the morning, stop by for a few turns and take advantage of our great afternoon lift ticket (only $25). Have some apres-ski snacks and learn about Hickory's future.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Megbeck10
I have to say that when I emailed for information about the club I was very shocked about the prices.  My father bought stock in Hickory back in the 80s and we still have our shares to this day.  My parents are local teachers and I have returned to the area to work in a local school also.  The price for membership to the club seems targeted to those with a larger disposable income than most locals from the area, myself included.  I think part of Hickory's charm is that it was always so local friendly (not saying that it won't continue to be this way, but...).  Even as a current shareholder we don't get a break on the club fee.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Megbeck10 wrote
I have to say that when I emailed for information about the club I was very shocked about the prices.  My father bought stock in Hickory back in the 80s and we still have our shares to this day.  My parents are local teachers and I have returned to the area to work in a local school also.  The price for membership to the club seems targeted to those with a larger disposable income than most locals from the area, myself included.  I think part of Hickory's charm is that it was always so local friendly (not saying that it won't continue to be this way, but...).  Even as a current shareholder we don't get a break on the club fee.
That seems like something they should consider fixing now, especially if they are trying to draw in some very separate groups that share the goal of saving the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Join the times Hickory......http://www.gofundme.com/ 

Let's get it done !

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, it was worth a try.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Is.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Megbeck10
I was under the impression that there was a separate rate structure for locals.  I'd reach out to HAC and see what they say.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp