CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hickory Alpine Club

Benny Profane
Ahem

"There is no formal relationship in place with Gore yet, but the club will be a major driver of business to Gore and Gore directly benefits the club so we’re hopeful that there’s an opportunity for collaboration."
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
I really don't see that happening but I wish them luck.

How much is a membership?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Just what Warrensburg needs, a ski club. Sounds like another exclusive bunch. I expect they will have valet parking and ski porters in the parking lot. Multi million dollar condos won't be far behind. Within a year or two some marketing person will be contacting Harv about doing articles and offering a free all expense paid vacation to Warrensburg for him.
What's the world coming to?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
PeeTex wrote
Just what Warrensburg needs, a ski club. Sounds like another exclusive bunch. I expect they will have valet parking and ski porters in the parking lot. Multi million dollar condos won't be far behind. Within a year or two some marketing person will be contacting Harv about doing articles and offering a free all expense paid vacation to Warrensburg for him.

Calm down. If you read the interview, the ski club has been there for a very long time. This is the first time I've learned that, although the mountain closed in '05, it's still owned by the old co-op members. So, it's basically a ski club that is trying to raise capital to put snowmaking in by selling more memberships at 2014 prices.  And they ain't selling no condos at any price. Hell, they can barely sell condos right at the bottom of Gore. Why would someone buy there?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
How much is a membership?
Was wondering that myself. Anyone know??
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Benny Profane wrote
PeeTex wrote

Calm down. If you read the interview, the ski club has been there for a very long time. This is the first time I've learned that, although the mountain closed in '05, it's still owned by the old co-op members. So, it's basically a ski club that is trying to raise capital to put snowmaking in by selling more memberships at 2014 prices.  And they ain't selling no condos at any price. Hell, they can barely sell condos right at the bottom of Gore. Why would someone buy there?
Damn Benny, you can't seem to get it when I am joking. Can you imagine, Hickory - the Deer Valley or Stratton of the Southern Adirondacks. Next thing you know Hickory will be staging a bid for the 2016 world cup (was that outrageous enough for you).
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Coach and Camp, membership details are on the club's website, which is linked in the interview as well as in Harv's blog post, but essentially it's a $1,000 initiation fee (that's for a family, singles are $500) plus $525 annual dues ($375 single).  The primary benefits of membership are access to the club's clubhouse (planned for Dec 2016) and discounted passes/lift tickets to Hickory.  There is also a more expensive membership level that gives access to overnight accomodations.

*Edit - the above membership info isn't available on the club's website, you have to email the club for a membership information packet.  Anyone who's at all interested in this venture should at least request the information packet.  Maybe David Cronheim, who is the club's membership director and is a Forum member, will chime in to answer questions.

PeeTex, yeah, I agree:  the marketing information all has a ring of exclusivity to it, which is not my cup of tea.  I might be wrong, but I would think it's not the average Hickory skier's cup of tea either.  The other side of that coin, however, is that if the club is successful and snowmaking is installed on some terrain, it could go a long way towards ensuring Hickory's long-term viability.

Benny Profane wrote
If you read the interview, the ski club has been there for a very long time.
Benny, just to clarify, the Hickory Alpine Club is brand new.  In fact it's still in the founding stage.  Hickory Ski Center is still owned by the same shareholders that have owned it all along - the Hickory Alpine Club doesn't change that ownership structure. I don't know if the Club receives some form of ownership in the ski center in exchange for its contribution of capital towards the snowmaking equipment installation.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Benny Profane wrote
PeeTex wrote

Damn Benny, you can't seem to get it when I am joking. Can you imagine, Hickory - the Deer Valley or Stratton of the Southern Adirondacks. Next thing you know Hickory will be staging a bid for the 2016 world cup (was that outrageous enough for you).

Sorry, my damn irony app has been flaky lately. (bang, bang,.......bang!) There, I think it's working now.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Coach and Camp, membership details are on the club's website, which is linked in the interview as well as in Harv's blog post, but essentially it's a $1,000 initiation fee (that's for a family, singles are $500) plus $525 annual dues ($375 single).  The primary benefits of membership are access to the club's clubhouse (planned for Dec 2016) and discounted passes/lift tickets to Hickory.  There is also a more expensive membership level that gives access to overnight accomodations.
If Hickory can get to the point where they are open more, these numbers don't seem outrageous at all. If they continue to only be open on the weekends, well, imo it would be silly to get involved unless one lived near by and truly loved the place.

I certainly wish them all the best of luck.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
campgottagopee wrote
If Hickory can get to the point where they are open more, these numbers don't seem outrageous at all.
I agree, Camp.  The initiation fee and annual dues are less than what I had expected.  However, keep in mind that you're not done once your $1000 initiation fee and $525 annual dues are paid.  You still have to buy a season pass or day-by-day lift tickets.  According to Hickory's website, daily lift tickets are currently $45.  I don't know what kind of discount club members will get off that rate (it's not in the membership info packet).  Also, season passes are not currently available, so I don't know what the rates will be on those and what kind of discount will be offered to members. So in the end, it won't exactly be cheap to ski Hickory as a club member.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Benny Profane wrote

Sorry, my damn irony app has been flaky lately. (bang, bang,.......bang!) There, I think it's working now.
therein lies the problem...  I believe you may need to download sarcasm C.3PO
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Adk Jeff wrote
campgottagopee wrote
If Hickory can get to the point where they are open more, these numbers don't seem outrageous at all.
I agree, Camp.  The initiation fee and annual dues are less than what I had expected.  However, keep in mind that you're not done once your $1000 initiation fee and $525 annual dues are paid.  You still have to buy a season pass or day-by-day lift tickets.  According to Hickory's website, daily lift tickets are currently $45.  I don't know what kind of discount club members will get off that rate (it's not in the membership info packet).  Also, season passes are not currently available, so I don't know what the rates will be on those and what kind of discount will be offered to members. So in the end, it won't exactly be cheap to ski Hickory as a club member.
Ahhhh, I forgot about the pass, my bad. It's getting pricey at this point. With Gore right there I think they'll have trouble fulfilling their dream unless the shareholders have very deep pockets. I know for my $$$ I'd go with a Gore/WF pass.....they already have a lodge  
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Adk Jeff wrote
Coach and Camp, membership details are on the club's website, which is linked in the interview as well as in Harv's blog post, but essentially it's a $1,000 initiation fee (that's for a family, singles are $500) plus $525 annual dues ($375 single).  The primary benefits of membership are access to the club's clubhouse (planned for Dec 2016) and discounted passes/lift tickets to Hickory.
So I can either:

1) Go to Hickory and pay the cost of day pass, ski, take off my boots in the parking lot, and go home or

2) Go to  Hickory and pay the cost of a day pass less a few $, plus $1,000, plus $525 per year, ski, take off my boots in the club building, and go home.

It is a tough decision, but since I graduated from high school, and do work involving difficult maths and numericals, I'm going with option 1.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Ahhhh, I forgot about the pass, my bad. It's getting pricey at this point. With Gore right there I think they'll have trouble fulfilling their dream unless the shareholders have very deep pockets. I know for my $$$ I'd go with a Gore/WF pass.....they already have a lodge

And, like, skiing.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Isn't the allure of Hickory the powder days on good terrain? Which seems to be less as the years go by. How many are really interested in going for a few man made groomers?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
skimore wrote
Isn't the allure of Hickory the powder days on good terrain? Which seems to be less as the years go by. How many are really interested in going for a few man made groomers?
I think it is.  I'm wondering if a sheet of ice (ie manmade) laid down on the bottom would increase the amount of ski days you'd get though, and maybe reduce your core shots.  I know that the shareholders really value the lack of grooming.

JackRabbit seems to be the black trail that requires the least snow to ski, so I'd love to see that left au natch. Maybe put a plumbing loop that goes up Top Notch/Hare and down Ridge Run.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I can see it now, cars on the Northway with bumper stickers reading "Mad River Glenn, ski it if you can't ski Hickory" right beside the sticker "Hickory Alpine ski club, join it because you can hardly ever ski Hickory"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I would think they should raise the fees and then make it totally private so you have to join to ski there.  That might work better and the hook is having the pow to yourself.  There would be more takers for that I would think and it would raise more cash.

Some private golf courses that the approach to only let you play a few rounds at a higher rate before you have to join.  

I'm probably going to get some haters on this but I figure that they are down to desperation tactics now and its either this or become one if those lost ski areas.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Coach Z wrote
I would think they should raise the fees and then make it totally private so you have to join to ski there.  That might work better and the hook is having the pow to yourself.  There would be more takers for that I would think and it would raise more cash.

Some private golf courses that the approach to only let you play a few rounds at a higher rate before you have to join.  

I'm probably going to get some haters on this but I figure that they are down to desperation tactics now and its either this or become one if those lost ski areas.
No hate.......
Going totally private requires deep pockets from the members and those with deep pockets are usually not interested in buying into a place that needs so much help to open (zero snowmaking), surface lifts and no slope side private housing. The Warrensburg area is not a snow belt or a luxury resort either.  

They have a huge dilemma  - they need to get people to pony up money hoping that they get some snowmaking installed. The risk is the snowmaking never happens.

If the snowmaking does happen, the question becomes will they have enough cash flow to use it. Next week's xmas weather forecast is pretty common for the northeast. One good gully washer flushes a lot of dollars down the drain.