classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
122 messages Options
1 ... 34567
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: High Peaks replacement?

Milo Maltbie
I got an email from Gore today with a survey to answer, with questions like "favorite trail" and "best soup" (sausage tortellini).  The list of favorite lifts didn't include the High Peaks. What's that about? Has it been removed? Is it possible that it would be removed without a replacement? Usually Gore would post stuff about all next year's improvements, but they are silent about Sunway and other possible lift replacements.  Maybe they don't want to talk about spending when state revenue is in the tank?

Has anyone been up to North Creek to see any actual progress on lift replacements.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Milo Maltbie wrote
I got an email from Gore today with a survey to answer, with questions like "favorite trail" and "best soup" (sausage tortellini).  The list of favorite lifts didn't include the High Peaks. What's that about? Has it been removed? Is it possible that it would be removed without a replacement? Usually Gore would post stuff about all next year's improvements, but they are silent about Sunway and other possible lift replacements.  Maybe they don't want to talk about spending when state revenue is in the tank?

Has anyone been up to North Creek to see any actual progress on lift replacements.

mm
It is happening.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Taken May 23 by a crony of mine. Clearing the trees between Cloud and Lies shortcut/mistake trail

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote

mm
It is happening.
This is orda we are talking about
just because they start a project this year it by no means suggests it will get finished
thier track record says everything takes 2 or sometimes 3 years
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Z wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote

mm
It is happening.
just because they start a project this year it by no means suggests it will get finished
thier track record says everything takes 2 or sometimes 3 years
I'll bet you a dollar that both lifts are completed this year
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote

Who is doing the actual work?   Probably not Orda employees?
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I'm hoping this isn't the project ORDA doesn't finish for opening day.  It's like November catches them by surprise every year.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
No but ORDA is writing the checks.  That is usually where they hit a snag.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'll add a dollar too. I think it will get done.

Maybe Milo could add a poll to the first post.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
I'm hoping this isn't the project ORDA doesn't finish for opening day.  It's like November catches them by surprise every year.

mm
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Milo Maltbie wrote
I'm hoping this isn't the project ORDA doesn't finish for opening day.
I'd think that if it was ready to spin by Christmas that would be fine.  That lift hasn't run on opening day in a long time, if ever.  Sunway Chair obviously a different story.

I wonder what the average opening date is, for lift 6.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Harvey wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote
I'd think that if it was ready to spin by Christmas that would be fine.  That lift hasn't run on opening day in a long time, if ever.  Sunway Chair obviously a different story.

I think Gore would do better to open AE2 > HP before the gondola.  That's gotta be easier opening than the gondola and Straightbrook/Topridge.  Early season gondola-only terrain isn't really good for anyone. There's nothing steep, and if Ruby is your comfort level you have the long flat skate to the saddle.

I think the same thing is true on quiet weekdays when they typically don't run the AE2 and North chairs, and sometimes the HP as well. The AE2 and HP should run every day, and the gondola only run when they need the capacity, especially since it's become the least reliable lift I ever ride.  

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Milo Maltbie wrote
Harvey wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote

I think Gore would do better to open AE2 > HP before the gondola.  That's gotta be easier opening than the gondola and Straightbrook/Topridge.  Early season gondola-only terrain isn't really good for anyone. There's nothing steep, and if Ruby is your comfort level you have the long flat skate to the saddle.

I think the same thing is true on quiet weekdays when they typically don't run the AE2 and North chairs, and sometimes the HP as well. The AE2 and HP should run every day, and the gondola only run when they need the capacity, especially since it's become the least reliable lift I ever ride.  

mm
Dude, you really do a great job of replacing sno loco
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I’m snoloco’s grandfather.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
Have you even skied Gore? 'Early season gondola-only terrain' serves 90% of Gore type skiing.

Milo Maltbie wrote

mm
You reference the flat at the bottom of Ruby Run, yet think Wood In should be everybody's regular route to the top? Wood In to the HP is a pita at best and a nightmare for borders and little kids. It is way worse than Ruby to the Saddle.

We should all be happy that Milo is not the GM at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Early onset alzheimer’s is setting in.....I can’t remember, do snowmaking lines on Wood In even extend past Pete Gay?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Based on the snow the last few years, I believe they do now?

Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Have you even skied Gore? 'Early season gondola-only terrain' serves 90% of Gore type skiing
Really? Ruby or Foxlair to Sunway or Quicksiver is 90%? What is "Gore type skiing"? I think you need more than one flat trail with only a few short uphills to make 90%.
x10003q wrote
You reference the flat at the bottom of Ruby Run, yet think Wood In should be everybody's regular route to the top? Wood In to the HP is a pita at best and a nightmare for borders and little kids. It is way worse than Ruby to the Saddle.
Wood is a more difficult route to the top, but a little re-grading and snowmaking would ease the pain.  There are a lot of early season days when there is no route to the top, and a lot of mid-season weekdays when High Peaks doesn't run. AE2 + HP has Gore type skiing for everyone, including some of the best trees, and is mostly on the north side so it holds snow better. It would also allow earlier upper mountain opening with far less snowmaking than the gondola route.

The gondola is also the least reliable lift, and when it breaks down it leaves no route anywhere until they start up AE2 and then HP. You haven't ski Gore much if you haven't been around for a gondola stoppage.

Just about all of Gore is a nightmare for boarders. That's one of the things we like about it.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by witch hobble
I got it from the boss, full length of Wood In has had snowmaking since the mid 80s.

"The Wood In pipes go all the way from the Valve House next to the top of the North Chair to the top of Wood Out (maybe 16 sets of hydrants)."
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Makes sense. In the pre-Bear era Gore it would have been an even more important Gondi work around.
1 ... 34567