Re: High Peaks replacement?

x10003q
Milo Maltbie wrote
Harvey wrote
x10003q wrote
Harvey wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Just seems like poor priorities to me. That's all.
ORDA can only do what it does. It can't bail out towns or fix roads and bridges. If ORDA leads the way of wasteful government spending to get the economy started again, I'm OK with that. OTOH if the gondola can't run next year, High Peaks replacement is a pretty high priority for Gore skiers. Of course Harvey would rather have an elegant double instead of a garish quad, but the masses don't share his unmatched sense of style.

mm
FIFY.
FIFY
FIFY
Actually, I'd rather have a double too because of faster rope speed without as much loss of capacity as you think. I even want it to unload where it does now, before it gets up into the wind.  

mm
Big laugh for the Harvey FIFY
and for MM:
Faster rope speed means more stops so even less capacity.
Quad chair is heavier and less wind effected.
FGQ to the top FTW
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brownski
In all seriousness, it seems like a fixed grip quad to the top is the right answer.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
There he goes again!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
The last few years there were a lot of weekdays when both the AE2 and High Peaks didn't run. I'm hoping they run use AE2>HP for summit access instead of the gondola. That opens all the Darkside and it's better for skiers who aren't comfortable with anything above the Saddle. Keepiing park rats off of Foxlair is probably a good thing too.  Obviously that's a low traffic day only plan.

Everyone is still overestimating the value of extending HP. Is easy access to Upper Steilhang that important? Do you think easier access to the Rumor headwall is a good idea? Maybe it will be better if they regrade Cloud to make it easier to go across from Straightbrook, but maybe traffic makes it worse.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Milo Maltbie wrote
 Is easy access to Upper Steilhang that important? Do you think easier access to the Rumor headwall is a good idea?
Yes & Yes & we get Hawkeye & Chatie & Straightbrook Glades & Double Barrel & Chatie Glades, too.

No brainer to extend it. Greatly improves the mountain flow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
The more I think about Gore and all the flat and uphill spots and long connecting trails the more I wonder why anyone though it would be a good spot for a ski area.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
This is great news.  Why was the current chair shortened in the first place?  Wind?
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
They shortened it when they replaced the Summit lift with the old Straightbrook double(1995?), which was shorter. I don't remember how windy it was back in the day, but I assume it will be as windy as the top of Topridge, which is the windiest spot on the mountain. I also heard rumors that patrol wanted HP shorter because of summit traffic, but probably that was just management deflecting blame.

mm

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
There were a couple things going on. One I believe was North Creek. It was reasonably well connected to population centers.

Also there were a few seasons before where snow totals were measured and Gore beat the other location.

I am a big fan of the flat spots. But they were never part of the original plan. Gore was much smaller and had no flat spots.

https://nyskiblog.com/gore-mountain-topography/
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Harvey wrote
I am a big fan of the flat spots. But they were never part of the original plan. Gore was much smaller and had no flat spots.

https://nyskiblog.com/gore-mountain-topography/
I like the flat spots too, but that's because it's the only exercise I get in the winter. That's a minority opinion.

Gore always had flats spots. Cloud across the top has been there since the Straighbrook chair was built, and Cloud out has been there since the beginning. Tannery below where the Topridge chair is now was long, flat and uphill in spots.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Milo Maltbie wrote
Gore always had flats spots. Cloud across the top has been there since the Straighbrook chair was built, and Cloud out has been there since the beginning. Tannery below where the Topridge chair is now was long, flat and uphill in spots.
Did you click on the link? The first image is the trail map from 1965. There are no flat spots.

I chuckle when our employees with gym memberships complain about not getting a parking spot in our lot because they have to walk a block to get to their desk.  Everyone needs exercise.

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Some ideas from the Way Back Machine on why the HP was shortened :

I have had this discussion with Milo before. I obviously was not able to convince him to change his mind.

Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
As someone who is old enough to remember the old summit chair you could easily access Hawkeye from it, much easier than going in the other direction from Straightbook to Cloud. I think as long as it goes to the top a quad is ok, and with the gondola likely being limited it is necessary. I have been there a couple of times when the gondola was down and the line at the double was massive.

Also with the new lift and limitations on the gondola perhaps they would open the High Peaks area before Topridge. It faces north and is higher up so it might make a good candidate for early season.

It is hard to tell from this thread has it been verified that the new lift will go to the top?  I think it would be nuts to not have it go to the top.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Lift Blog
xWeatherMan wrote
It is hard to tell from this thread has it been verified that the new lift will go to the top?  I think it would be nuts to not have it go to the top.
The RFP for the lift purchase did not show High Peaks going to the top.
https://skiliftblog.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/highpeaks2021.png
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Lift Blog wrote
xWeatherMan wrote
By "the top" Gore skiers generally mean to the top of Rumor, not the precise top of the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Lift Blog
Lift Blog wrote
xWeatherMan wrote
That placement is to the top.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
x10003q wrote
Lift Blog wrote
xWeatherMan wrote
The top is correct, my information came from Leitner Poma.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Lift Blog
Darkside Shaman wrote
x10003q wrote
Lift Blog wrote
xWeatherMan wrote
The top is correct, my information came from Leitner Poma.
Heard one of Gore's new lifts will be Leitner-Poma and the other Skytrac, you know which is which?
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
The flat spots at Gore make it more than challenging for the boarders. Nothing against those folks who like to snow board but it does focus the trails they use.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
My info says this deal is not done yet.  Soon.