classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
122 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: High Peaks replacement?

tirolski
If ya can ski top to bottom at Gore ya ain't in the high risk group for covid, just sayin.
Skiers are well aware of "risks".
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
Love that idea!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by tirolski
If it’s all bumps then I’d agree!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If you build raised raised platforms over the loading and unloading areas in the terminals I’m thinking you could run standard hsq chairs
Not sure if the grips are the same but with some engineering it could be overcome and I’m sure the lift c9mpanies would be highly motivated to sell thousands of grips.

The problem with a Gondi is it is like a cafeteria table that gets used every 10 mins by another group without being cleaned in between.  If you had a battery powered uv light that got loaded at the top to clean it between rides that would be great.  Anyone see that happening anywhere even Vail?

Gondis are like the cruise ships of the ski industry.  An idea that’s time has come and gone. Maybe it comes back in 22.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
I'm pretty sure that gondy cables have a larger diameter than the chair cables from what I've noticed. Maybe some six or eight packs have the same diameter? In any case I think a new grip would need to be designed.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Makes sense that the haul rope would bi a larger diameter with a Gondi compared to a hsq
So put an 8 pack grip on a hsq chair and build up platforms in the terminals
Or put 6 pack chairs on it
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Lift Blog
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Not happening this year. No major projects at Gore.
Are you sure about that?  The webcam showed chairs being removed and taken away from Sunway last week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Just fucking with people, sorry. But yes, the chairs are being taken off and Leitner Poma will be arriving later this month to begin the 6 month project. I have not heard if the "plan" will take the chair farther up the mt to about where the Sunway work road turns downhill from the old gondola line. or roughly a couple hundred yards farther from where the terminus is now. The idea behind this "plan" was to eliminate the clusterfuck at the terminus now, with Sunway, 3B, and OtterSlide. I'll let you all know as soon as I hear.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Liftblog is saying High Peaks will be replaced this summer as well. https://liftblog.com/2020-new-lifts/  Earlier liftblog said that HP was on the schedule for summer of 2021. Maybe ORDA moved it up because it will be needed to back up the gondola next year? If they can borrow the money, this is definitely the time to build everything.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Milo Maltbie wrote
Liftblog is saying High Peaks will be replaced this summer as well. https://liftblog.com/2020-new-lifts/  Earlier liftblog said that HP was on the schedule for summer of 2021. Maybe ORDA moved it up because it will be needed to back up the gondola next year? If they can borrow the money, this is definitely the time to build everything.

mm
Exactly on the gondola. You cannot operate Gore with a shaky HP double if there are issues using the Gondola.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Ok here's the scoop:
Both lift 3 and lift 6 are being replaced this summer, and they will both go up higher from where they are now. Lift 3 to where I mentioned in my earlier post, and lift 6 back close to where it was before, but looking uphill more to the right on top of the knoll where the ski patrol sled shack is. They will both be fixed grip quads from Leitner Poma.

This. Is. Happening.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Darkside Shaman wrote
. They will both be fixed grip quads from Leitner Poma..
Wow! Uphill capacity of Gore will be enormous. Quads everywhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Makes sense to me. Do it now, gives folks jobs working outside with good views, just gotta put up with the local black flies but that's nothing new.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
. They will both be fixed grip quads from Leitner Poma..
Wow! Uphill capacity of Gore will be enormous. Quads everywhere.
Fixed grip quads have double the nominal capacity of a double, but IRL they load fewer chairs, leave more empty seats and have more frequent stoppages due to loading and unloading problems. Fixed grip quads end up with way less capacity than a detachable, which is why detachables were developed in the first place. Quads also have a slower rope speed than doubles. I would have been happy if they just made the old double reliable, maximized the rope speed and got rid of the safety bars, but that was never gonna happen.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks Shaman.

I like the fixed grips. Gore is a good place to ski in a storm, in part because those summit chairs are protected and pretty wind proof.

I don't see a (longterm) need for more uphill capacity on either chair.

They could put more chairs on the Dark Side while the gondi is down. Won't be the same during that period.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
One of the odd things about Gore is that the Northridge chair seems windier than the summit. I hope extending HP doesn't leave it as wind exposed as Topridge. That's why I'd like the replacement lift to end at the same spot as the double.

There's no real way to increase the capacity to the summit without using detachables or second lifts parallel to the existing ones, which would disrupt some of the best terrain.  I think if the gondola becomes unusable for more than next year they will modify the cabins for more ventilation. I bet when they replace the cabins they will have large openable windows. OTOH if the gondola is unusable it's likely that total attendance will be limited enough that uphill capacity is adequate even without the gondola.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Milo Maltbie wrote
One of the odd things about Gore is that the Northridge chair seems windier than the summit. I hope extending HP doesn't leave it as wind exposed as Topridge.

There's no real way to increase the capacity to the summit without using detachables or second lifts parallel to the existing ones, which would disrupt some of the best terrain.  I think if the gondola becomes unusable for more than next year they will modify the cabins for more ventilation. I bet when they replace the cabins they will have large openable windows. OTOH if the gondola is unusable it's likely that total attendance will be limited enough that uphill capacity is adequate even without the gondola.

mm
Dude if you're tryin to be the new snoloco, you are doing an amazing job
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Darkside Shaman wrote
Dude if you're tryin to be the new snoloco, you are doing an amazing job
I'm not trying to replace anyone. I've just been smacked in the head by the High Peaks safety bar too often.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This is what kills me regarding our NYS run ski hills. How much has this pandemic cost the state and yet we  put in new lifts? Nobody in their right mind would be making a move like this right now. At least none of the business owners I know would be. They don't even know if they can open, and if they can at what capacity.

Just seems like a bad move on the part of NYS imo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
campgottagopee wrote
This is what kills me regarding our NYS run ski hills. How much has this pandemic cost the state and yet we  put in new lifts? Nobody in their right mind would be making a move like this right now. At least none of the business owners I know would be. They don't even know if they can open, and if they can at what capacity.

Just seems like a bad move on the part of NYS imo.
I have to agree with you. Gore could be literally the only ski area in the country upgrading lifts this year
Gotta go to know
12345 ... 7