skimore
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hunter Conditions

snoloco
In reply to this post by SalSal
SalSal wrote
Sno, let me ask you... Is the trip to VT nowadays (this-next weekend) worth all the sacrifice (driving from NYC, lodging, full price passes)?
Sorry, I thought that you were asking if I thought it was really worth it for me to go to VT, not if it was worth it for you to go.  

It's all about how much you're into skiing.  If you are dying to get out for the first time, then I'd say go and make the most of whatever conditions there are.  I skied Killington last weekend and while terrain was limited, it was still fun.  However, it was pretty crowded the day I was there, although I didn't wait more than 5 minutes for any lift.  The other areas should be less crowded.  It looks like Okemo has the most open now with Killington in second.  Stratton has very little open with 2 runs off the summit and one closed for racing...  LAME.  Another trail splits off the open run off the top, but is also closed for racing.  All funnel down to a single WROD runout.  Mount Snow is doing better with Cascade to Canyon as well as Long John, plus Little John/Deer Run.  The also have a terrain park on The Gulch, and are possibly opening the North Face soon.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
So . . .  a few weeks ago, I set up a boot fitting appointment near Hunter, specifically for the bootfitter.   Since I am going to be there Friday, I plan to ski this.  Hopefully, it will be ok.  
Reply | Threaded
|

nyctravis
DomB wrote
So . . .  a few weeks ago, I set up a boot fitting appointment near Hunter, specifically for the bootfitter.   Since I am going to be there Friday, I plan to ski this.  Hopefully, it will be ok.
Please post a report and pics.  I might go saturday since I'm Jones'ing
Reply | Threaded
|

SalSal
In reply to this post by snoloco
Thanks a lot for the reply! I'm pretty much "dying" without skiing, I mean I love it to death, as I think majority here, but unfortunately usually have no possibility to ski during weekdays. So, yes, Im willing to go anywhere where the snow is.

I have to say that with all the respect to the efforts of Belle snowmaking team, charging 48$ for a WROD like Onteora was not cool, but at the same time I understand the "price discrimination" technique that you were talking about.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by DomB
You'll be rockin your new boots Dom how can you go wrong?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Harvey wrote
You'll be rockin your new boots Dom how can you go wrong?
Thanks, Harvey!  It works out funny - I had originally planned to go up Friday, ski on the old gear, do the boot fitting in the afternoon, then on Saturday demo the Dynastar I was looking at.  Turns out the demo day got moved, so I'll ski on my old gear and then stick to the appointment.  Probably better anyway considering it will be a WROD - at least I am totally familiar with my old school stuff.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by nyctravis
nyctravis wrote
DomB wrote
Please post a report and pics.  I might go saturday since I'm Jones'ing
Sure - no problem.  At least I'll try.  I haven't posted pics before.  I don't know nearly as much about snowmaking/maintenance as other folks, but I wonder what the warm up (even from Friday to Saturday) will do.  I guess it will make it more like spring conditions, but I don't think Friday night gets close to freezing.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
4 trails, possibly 6 ain't a WROD.  Don't let the best be the enemy of the good.  You're not getting powder every day, so make the most of the days you don't have it rather than writing them off.
Of course it is. You're talking about two ways down a hill at best. With many people. White Ribbon of Death might be singular, but the concept is limited terrain and early season conditions / crowds. It isn't really skiing. Seeing brown woods while you're on the trail isn't real skiing. Where do you think the white ribbons come from?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
raisingarizona wrote
We have 80% open right now and I haven't been up in two weeks. I'll just wait until it snows. The riding sure is good right now.
You're a west coast elitist snow snob.  

If I were back East... I'd be dreaming of getting the first chair this weekend at Hunta  ... it was only a 2.5 hr drive for me when I lived in Scranhattan.
Ya it's true, I have spent so much of my life messing around in the hills I'm a little jaded and take a lot for granted often. I don't want to piss in anyones bowl of cheerios and if I lived out east I would be chomping at the bit too. If you live in a city or suburb and make big $ why the heck not treat yourself and escape for a day or two even if the skiing sucks. My opinions stem from being a broke ski bum for over 20 years now so I should check myself.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
raisingarizona wrote
 If you live in a city or suburb and make big $ why the heck not treat yourself and escape for a day or two even if the skiing sucks.
Because it's not a treat!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
snoloco wrote
4 trails, possibly 6 ain't a WROD.  Don't let the best be the enemy of the good.  You're not getting powder every day, so make the most of the days you don't have it rather than writing them off.
Of course it is. You're talking about two ways down a hill at best. With many people. White Ribbon of Death might be singular, but the concept is limited terrain and early season conditions / crowds. It isn't really skiing. Seeing brown woods while you're on the trail isn't real skiing. Where do you think the white ribbons come from?
If you thought I was talking about trail count, then you're wrong.  Mount Snow's trail count is higher than 4 and they have 3 runs off the top currently, with one on Carinthia.  If they open the North Face, they'll have two additional runs open, that means 6 possible ways down.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
 Seeing brown woods while you're on the trail isn't real skiing
oh shit here we go again!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
ml242 wrote
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
ml242 wrote
Unless you've got a great season like last year, you are going to be seeing brown woods at most mountains in the east.  Are you saying that in a low snow year where Hunter has the opportunity to make a lot of snow, that they are WROD all season?  11-12 was a horrible year, but Hunter made the most of it and provided a great experience with their man-made snow.  Gore didn't do very well and the Ski Bowl was left to rot the entire season, and North and BR didn't open till late January.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
gorgonzola wrote
ml242 wrote
Unless you've got a great season like last year, you are going to be seeing brown woods at most mountains in the east.  Are you saying that in a low snow year where Hunter has the opportunity to make a lot of snow, that they are WROD all season?  11-12 was a horrible year, but Hunter made the most of it and provided a great experience with their man-made snow.  Gore didn't do very well and the Ski Bowl was left to rot the entire season, and North and BR didn't open till late January.
No, he is saying that we might want to do other things than ski on man made strips all season. Adulting does that, we have to pick and choose things in an order of importance and truthfully for a lot of us skiing on east coast man made or anywhere sits a little low on that list.

I'm getting crusty and old!

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Was that ^^ an advertorial?

Not sure the standard inflation rate is a good measure. Doesn't it leave out energy and health insurance?

I have no idea what fair ticket prices are, but riding a chair lift and skiing on "snow" when there is none seems like it could be expensive.

Obviously Hunter was/is hugely (22%) profitable.   I wonder what "average" is?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
And could it be that liftopia (probably not a factor in 01) is causing sticker price to go up (window rates) or the rise of mountains doing similar web specials directly.   So that day ticket rates are higher than hey would be.   Side note - thread drift. . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Consider the source.  That report is from a page that sells discounted tickets, so they want everyone who is paying list price to feel ripped off and buy discounted tickets from them.

I am a dual passholder at Hunter and Mountain Creek, with a Killington Express card, and similar discounts at Mount Snow, Attitash, Wildcat, Crotched, and JFBB because of my Hunter pass.  I really have little need to pay for full price tickets anywhere.
1 ... 3456789 ... 15