80 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hunter Expansion is a Go!!!

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The image really makes the north side look as big as the front.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
What's the over  under for completion by mic December, inquiring minds want to know.
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Someone used to say “It must be open by Christmas”
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"It will be done and opened by Christmas. Take. It. To. The. Bank"
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
He will be creamin his jeans!
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Open late November..
Still very impressed watching the day to day construction from my yard..
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Harvey
I wonder how much James Niehues makes per map and if he works off the existing one when adding a new sector like at Hunter? That said; is the 2017-18 map from Niehues?
https://www.huntermtn.com/uploaded/misc/HunterMountainTrailGuide_17-18_Page_1.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
We had one made for Tuckerman Ravine - I could find out..
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
I wonder how much James Niehues makes per map and if he works off the existing one when adding a new sector like at Hunter?
From reading interviews and looking at his FB Page, when just adding a section he usually just covers over the old stuff on his original painting and adds the new area.  He's been pretty enthusiastic in recent years when he's had the opportunity to completely start over.  Like he did for Alta and Park City.

I was surprised when I realized that the Massanutten trail map is by Niehues.  So is Cataloochee, which has 25 acres.  I assume he was asked to do them a while back when he was taking on more commissions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think in this case though he moved his angle a little more around to kind of get a better shot a North didn't he? does anyone have the copy of the old one?
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
I think in this case though he moved his angle a little more around to kind of get a better shot a North didn't he? does anyone have the copy of the old one?
Jamesdeluxe wrote

Harvey: Or did you mean an even older one?
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Might be more crowded at Hunter in 2018-19 for another reason besides the expansion.

Peak Resorts just announced they are purchasing Snowtime, which means Roundtop, Liberty, Whitetail.  People who buy Snowtime season passes are from the DC/Baltimore area.  So driving to Hunter is quite doable.  Irv Naylor sold Windham to local investors back in 2005 to focus on the central PA market.  Roundtop was the first place he developed.  A lot of money has gone into upgrades at Whitetail in recent years, which is the only Snowtime ski area that is a true 4-season resort.  Roundtop and Liberty are day areas.

In comparison to the Snowtime ski areas, Hunter feels much bigger.  For that matter, Plattekill runs are twice as long as the trails at Roundtop and Whitetail.

http://ir.peakresorts.com/File/Index?KeyFile=395108862

“PEAK RESORTS TO ACQUIRE SNOW TIME FOR $76 MILLION
ACCRETIVE TRANSACTION EXPANDS PEAK’S NORTHEAST PORTFOLIO WITH THE ADDITION OF THREE HIGH-QUALITY RESORTS
Company Release - 9/24/2018 7:00 AM ET

WILDWOOD, Mo., Sept. 24, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Peak Resorts, Inc. (NASDAQ:SKIS) (“Peak” or the “Company”), a leading owner and operator of high-quality, individually branded U.S. ski resorts, announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately-held Snow Time, Inc. (“Snow Time”) for $76 million in total consideration.

Importantly, season pass holders at Liberty, Roundtop and Whitetail who have already made the decision to purchase or renew their season passes for the 2018/2019 ski season will have the ability to upgrade to the Peak Pass and enjoy all 10 of our Northeast resorts. We expect to provide these customers with more details, including pricing options, in the coming weeks.”

Irvin S. Naylor, Founder and Chairman of Snow Time, added, “I am extremely pleased to pass along the stewardship of Snow Time and our three mountain resorts to Peak Resorts. Having watched the progress they continue to make at the formerly family-owned Hunter Mountain, I view Peak Resorts as the perfect operators to take Liberty, Roundtop and Whitetail to the next level. For more than 50 years, my team and I have grown these three resorts into the magnificent properties they are today and we are delighted that Peak Resorts will continue to grow their appeal for the next generation and beyond.”
…”
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
  been skiing hunter for 40 yrs...You would need your head examined to drive up from DC to ski there..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
JasonWx wrote
been skiing hunter for 40 yrs...You would need your head examined to drive up from DC to ski there..
And yet - I know a bunch of people that do it all the time and have a blast!  :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
dmc_hunter wrote
JasonWx wrote
And yet - I know a bunch of people that do it all the time and have a blast!  :)
Ha! You’re both right. There’s a distance in everybody’s head where anything farther is hard to justify. If I were coming from DC, the Catskills might be just enough closer then S. VT to win out. As it is, I get to Gore, K & Pico a lot more often then I do to WF, Sugarbush and MRG. I guess I’m a 4 hour guy.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
The people who surprise me are the ones who drive 10 hours from FL to pay big bucks to stay at Snowshoe for a weekend, often a holiday weekend when the slopes are quite crowded.

Have you driven with 1-3 kids in the car for 4 hours one-way for a ski weekend?  Have you skied in northern VA or PA ski resort (not Plattekill) after driving for 2 hours for a day trip?  Different strokes for different folks.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
JasonWx wrote
Ha! You’re both right. There’s a distance in everybody’s head where anything farther is hard to justify. If I were coming from DC, the Catskills might be just enough closer then S. VT to win out. As it is, I get to Gore, K & Pico a lot more often then I do to WF, Sugarbush and MRG. I guess I’m a 4 hour guy.
I have friends who live in DC/Baltimore who make the drive to the Catskills a lot more often than they go to S. VT.  They'll go as far as Montage and Elk to avoid the weekend crowds at places like Camelback and Blue.  Other than that they plan to fly out west to big mountains one a season.

There is little chatter on DCSki about VT.  A lot more about WV than the Catskills but I bet someone with a Snowtime season pass will get curious about Peak resorts in New England sooner or later.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
This is a smart move by Peak.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Brownski
Whiteface drive is spot on with Kmart...and if you hit traffic in Rutland it is quicker.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
You know what? That’s completely correct. WF should have been on the other list. 4 hours almost on the dot
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller