Hunter Expansion is a Go!!!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
80 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hunter Expansion is a Go!!!

dmc_hunter
When I lived down in Jersey - it took us 5 hours to drive to Killington..  People still drive up there from places like Long Island as well.   Someone from DC will drive to a place like Hunter or Windham no problem too..
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
just pray for a cold winter, Hunter will be fantastic with these new trails as long as they can blow snow, Also Peaks if you're reading you have to go past President's day with Snowmaking, you have thousands of potential customers within a two hour drive, don't [disappoint them, Blow it and they will come
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
JamesP wrote
just pray for a cold winter, Hunter will be fantastic with these new trails as long as they can blow snow, Also Peaks if you're reading you have to go past President's day with Snowmaking, you have thousands of potential customers within a two hour drive, don't [disappoint them, Blow it and they will come
Occurs to me that Snowtime pass holders might well be more likely to make the drive to Hunter, or Mt Snow, for some late season turns.  Even when PA ski areas stay open into mid-March, the number of trails decrease pretty fast.  Perhaps not this first season, but if Hunter were to stay open until late March with decent coverage, could sell some Peak passes in the DC market for 2019-20.

Snowshoe managed to stay open into April last spring.  Definitely helped to sell Ikon passes since they were good for late season turns at Snowshoe for several weekends.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Hunter North opened today - the Overlook trail was the only trail.   It was a really nice event.  Coffee and cookies and stuff - free teeshirts for the first like 50 people...  There was maybe a 150 people there - many long time regulars.
At 8:30 they cut the ribbon to let everyone cross the bridge.   Management was standing there as we walked by - I thanked them..  The lift is a nice 6 pack - it takes you up to Beltparkway where they carved out some space in the mountain to allow for Belt traffic to pass with no issues.  I took the lift a bunch of times - it was empty by 9:30.   Hit the front side to see how the entry is from belt.   Overlook dropped in like Wayout does from the Belt.  In fact Overlook feels like a better designed Wayout to me.   And it's definitely a "Hunter Intermediate" trail.  There's a long Pocono style runout at the base.

The other trails look great!! Lot's of glades cut out.  The lift line looks amazing.

Great job Hunter..   Fuck the naysayers... really...

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree it was an awesome awesome day

As you may imagine I will have more to say
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Couldn't agree more. We got there at 7:45 this morning. My brother got a T shirt, unfortounately I did not. I didn't have my season pass so I just stayed to watch the ribbon cutting and then had to head back to the main lodge to pick up my pass at the customer service desk which didn't open until 8:30. I felt badly that I didn't get to actually ski through the freshly cut ribbon, but it was great to see anyhow.

It will be a great addition to the mountain, and was a big part of why I chose to pick up a Peak Pass this year.

The entire project and the fact that it was completed in less than a year is impressive to me. All the work completed looks very well thought out and professional. From the parking lot to the lift itself.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
Skied Hunter today..
I agree too about North. They did a great job!!
Only criticism i have is calling the open trail Intermediate. That was one steep has hell intermediate trail. This might cause some people to get in over their heads.

It was a great day  
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
JasonWx wrote
Skied Hunter today..
Only criticism i have is calling the open trail Intermediate. That was one steep has hell intermediate trail. This might cause some people to get in over their heads.

It was a great day

If you go to Hunter - you need to expect things to be a little more on the high scale of challenge.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
dmc_hunter wrote
JasonWx wrote
Skied Hunter today..

It was a great day

If you go to Hunter - you need to expect things to be a little more on the high scale of challenge.
It is a "Hunter Blue".
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I loved the trail, but Belt Pkwy is blue. People might expect the same type of difficulty with this trail too..

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
dmc_hunter wrote
Hunter North opened today - the Overlook trail was the only trail.   It was a really nice event.  Coffee and cookies and stuff - free teeshirts for the first like 50 people...  There was maybe a 150 people there - many long time regulars.
At 8:30 they cut the ribbon to let everyone cross the bridge.   Management was standing there as we walked by - I thanked them..  The lift is a nice 6 pack - it takes you up to Beltparkway where they carved out some space in the mountain to allow for Belt traffic to pass with no issues.  I took the lift a bunch of times - it was empty by 9:30.   Hit the front side to see how the entry is from belt.   Overlook dropped in like Wayout does from the Belt.  In fact Overlook feels like a better designed Wayout to me.   And it's definitely a "Hunter Intermediate" trail.  There's a long Pocono style runout at the base.

The other trails look great!! Lot's of glades cut out.  The lift line looks amazing.

Great job Hunter..   Fuck the naysayers... really...

Right on DMC!!! Glad you're liking the expansion!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
I loved the trail, but Belt Pkwy is blue. People might expect the same type of difficulty with this trail too..

I guess they will learn hahaha...  :)
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
It's gonna look like the beach at Normandy.. I can't wait
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
That first run down Overlook was the only thing even close to crowded I saw all day. More accurately it was the only run I skied that wasn't mostly deserted.

I dropped down on skiers right, it seemed there was some extra lose snow there. I got most of the way down the "headwall" and was about to pull up to take that pic of Scott I posted on IG. I was pretty far over, just a few feet from the edge of the trail, basically as close to the edge as my skillz would allow. A young boarder goes past me on my right, cuts in front, making a really hard and loud left and then cuts back right. I guess he hadn't zipped up his pocket as a PBR comes flying out and bounces down the rest of the pitch, like some really high bounces.

If I'd had an ounce of class I'da popped that sucker open and proposed a toast, but I was just laughing too hard!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The beer God's were looking out for you Harv
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
If I'd had an ounce of class I'da popped that sucker open and proposed a toast, but I was just laughing too hard!
Youda gotten a face full of horse piss if you had.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
It is a "Hunter Blue".
 or a Hunter blue/black!

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
gorgonzola wrote
x10003q wrote
It is a "Hunter Blue".
 or a Hunter blue/black!

Big Kudos to Hunter for accurate trail rating. I wish more places did this type of rating.
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
The new trails are fantastic, Overlook ski's like a Western double blue, Rip's Return is a more traditional intermediate with a long run out, Wayout is a little tougher to get into , they need snow, one good dump , the mountain is going to be quite different ,  It reminds me of Pico or other single mountain Vermont ski areas.