1 ... 345678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ikon Pass

marznc
MC2 5678F589 wrote
marznc wrote
  Going back for another Taos Ski Week.  Got a Midweek Alta pass to cover two trips to SLC.  Might even add a third in March if the snow warrants flying again.  Will ski at Deer Valley a day or two with friends for sure..
Pretty nice life.
Yep, totally spoiled.  Especially considering that my husband is non-skier.  Helps to be married for over 25 years since I travel a lot without him both for ski trips and during the "green seasons."  My parents were married for over 60 years.  More than once my mother took a vacation without my father or he went to teach in Asia for 3+ months without her.

However, having to fly to ski at big mountains isn't ideal.  First world problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Colo/AZ/NM/Tahoe had close to record snow falls last season.. Snowfall has become feast or famine..
I would wait til mid January before committing to any  trips..
Well, while I love to be lucky enough to catch a powder storm, my approach to ski trips out west is quite different from powder chasers who travel solo.  I've only been an advanced skier for 7-8 years.

Warning . . . the stories got long.

These days my trips out west always involve a few friends.  Although I and my primary ski buddy, Bill from Albuquerque (another native New Yorker graduate of North Country School in Lake Placid), are retirees over 60, my other travel mates are still working.  Most are over 55 and willing to pay for better lodging than a Days Inn motel room.  They have to plan vacation time well in advance.

Best recent example of not caring about snow conditions was Feb 2018.  A few friends and I planned a trip for a Taos Ski Week (6 consecutive morning lessons, same L3 instructor, about $300).  We made lodging reservations in Sept at our favorite Inn near the TSV base (only 25 rooms).  It was a low--REALLY low--snow year.  Someone joining my crew for the first time kept asking if we were going to cancel.  She lives within a few hours of Tahoe so more of a snow snob.  Bottom line is that those of who had skied Taos before had no intention of cancelling.  There was no black terrain open that week.  But we had a ball and learned a lot on the long groomers, small bumps, even got a couple snowstorms.  That trip included driving to Telluride afterwards.  We wanted to check it out for the first time using the MCP.  Obviously still low snow those 3 days.  Caught a storm on Day 2 that dropped 9+ inches, with blue skies and fresh powder on Day 3.

The newbie to Taos understood by the second day of the Ski Week why we didn't cancel.  She's joining me and the same friends again this Feb.  (Skipped Taos last year because she skied Europe instead.)

My mid-season trip last winter was for about two weeks.  I had most of it set up by Sept.  Start and end dates were fixed, although I could extend at either end since I fly Southwest.  The trip was based on driving with Bill from SLC to Bozeman for Bridger and Big Sky.  We got rooms at a Bozeman motel and shared a gorgeous VRBO 3BR/2.5BA condo in Meadow Village for Big Sky.  Had a couple others join us for Bozeman and Big Sky.  Left the first two nights open.  Decided a week before I flew out to head to Driggs to ski Targhee over Pres. Day weekend.  Alternative plan was to ski around SLC before driving to MT.

Have never skied so much deep powder in my entire skiing life as during that trip.  One of the best condos I've ever rented too.  Can't get a place like that waiting until Jan to make travel plans.  The good and relatively inexpensive places with lots of beds get snapped up early.  It was the third time I shared a condo with friends at Big Sky.

Bottom line is that's how I plan for ski trips out west works for me and my friends regardless of snow conditions.  A lot of variation exists for people's priorities and life realities when it comes to being an advanced ski nut.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Does anyone know when the rates go up on the Ikon pass?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Z wrote
Does anyone know when the rates go up on the Ikon pass?
Haven't noticed any announcement yet.

For 2018-19 the rates went up on 10/10/2018.  But since that was the first season, hard to know what will happen this fall.  The final sale date was 12/13/2018.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
They announced a Basin

I’m expecting a few more announcements of partners joining or a bolt on purchase after Labor Day to drive some buzz a couple weeks before the deadline

Jay Peak would be the one that gets me to buy for sure
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Just pulled the trigger on the Ikon pass

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/328037-19-20-IKON-PASS-Group-Buy

I saw this thread that if we can get 12k in spend from our rag tag group on the Harv's play thing here we can get discounts next year.  Anyone want to spearhead this?  Sounds like a nice job for a certain lift and sno crazed college kid we know to organize.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Z wrote

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/328037-19-20-IKON-PASS-Group-Buy

I saw this thread that if we can get 12k in spend from our rag tag group on the Harv's play thing here we can get discounts next year.  Anyone want to spearhead this?  Sounds like a nice job for a certain lift and sno crazed college kid we know to organize.
I don't have the time to organize something like this, but would definitely participate.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote

Based on what I read, the sign ups happened in May 2019 for 2019-20.  That's when the discount codes were generated.  Still valid in August but not possible to get any new codes by then.  Most interesting that the people who signed up were not obligated to buy.  Even possible for the organizer to get an unused code back at a later date to be given to someone else if the situation changes for a person on the list.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Looks like a plan for the 20/21 season. Do we have about 25 people who would do this? I doubt it but maybe we jump into another pool.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
What I read was that the codes expired on Aug 1

The spend needed is 12k so that would be 18.5 of the lower cost adult versions at 649 bucks a pop
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Z wrote
The spend needed is 12k so that would be 18.5 of the lower cost adult versions at 649 bucks a pop
Assuming of course that the same group program is offered next spring.

I'd heard of some type of group program for 2018-19 but never any details.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I still think 18/19 people from this group would be hard to put together.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Why not just hook up with the TGR group next spring?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JTG4eva! wrote

How dare you bring common sense into this
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
campgottagopee wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

How dare you bring common sense into this
This year it was easy to get Ikon discounts. I got one through a ski club that I wasn't even a member of. I ended up regretting it because the discount passes weren't issued until after Winter Park closed for the season, but a full price pass would have given me some spring days there.

It's really not worth organizing something for a small discount that's easy to find elsewhere.  OTOH if you like to organize this kind of thing, this is the kind of thing you'll like to organize.

mm

"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
PeeTex wrote
Looks like a plan for the 20/21 season. Do we have about 25 people who would do this? I doubt it but maybe we jump into another pool.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Z wrote
What I read was that the codes expired on Aug 1

So I read the whole TGR thread more carefully.  The codes that were received by the organizer before July 31 were still good after Aug. 1.  However, the price went up.  Any purchases using a discount code will have to be done by mid-Oct.  The list ended up with over 80 names, including friends of the organizer who aren't TGR members.

The $12K amount was only to guarantee that the TGR group would automatically be eligible for a similar deal for 2020-21.

The initial discounted price was the same as the Mar-Apr price, so the deal was for people who couldn't decide that early or didn't have the cash on hand until the summer.

Does seem to make more sense of NYSkiBlog folks interested next season who don't buy during the early bird period should just get on TGR and join that group.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Why do dentist and other big money making city types need discounts?
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
raisingarizona wrote
Why do dentist and other big money making city types need discounts?
Because it’s my money and l’ll decide how to spend it.

Why does every ski resort in North America need to be in one or another price fixing scheme?

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'd heard a rumor that there were dentists over at TGR.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 345678