149 messages Options
12345 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ikon Pass

Milo Maltbie
MC2 5678F589 wrote
 I get to go to Crested Butte and Steamboat next week and I don't have to worry about lift tickets.
I'm heading to CB the last week in February and Steamboat the following week.  I'll end up with 25 days on my Max pass, and most of it on mountains that aren't in Ikon.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Ladies and gentlemen, I completely agree with Matt and Milo on this. This is bullshit. Free the Maxpass!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
MAX Pass started with Intrawest, Boyne, and Powdr.  Did you really expect it to stay the same after Intrawest was purchased?  The northeast mountains operated by Boyne, Big Sky (owned by Boyne) and Powdr mountains are in Ikon.  All the others were added as a desperation move in the last year or two.  No way was that going to last.

Granted, as someone who doesn't live in the northeast but wants to get back to Big Sky, I like Ikon better than the MAX Pass. But I can fly for ski trips of a week or more.  Waiting to see how many days the non-Alterra locations in Ikon will be included.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Danzilla wrote
YES! Sign me up for the Harvey Pass.

Harvey wrote
How much is it?

The Harv Pass would be...

Plattekill, Gore, Whiteface, McCauley, Snow Ridge, Magic, Killington, Mad River, Sugarbush, Smuggs, Jay, Alta, Pow Mow, Mt Hood, Cannon, Tuckermans and all of Quebec.
Big Sky, Crystal and Whitewater heard about it and they want in.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
According to a video clip by a realtor in Steamboat who talked to the Alterra COO today, there will be two tiers for the Ikon Pass.  David Perry, Pres. and COO, also promised the pricing would be "aggressive."  Read on the Ikon FB Page that pricing will be released in February.

Also, today the CEO for Alterra was announced.  The CEO is Rusty Gregory, who was the CEO of Mammoth before the purchase in 2017.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
More info on the Ikon Pass.

There will be two versions available and pricing will be competitive.

They still may add resorts to it for 18-19.  Priority is North America but they want to try and get some overseas destinations like Epic.

There won't be a region specific version of the pass, for example one only good for the east or one only good for Colorado.

My takeaway is the Ikon Pass will end up being THE season pass at the Alterra mountains just like the Epic Pass is for Vail mountains.  For the partner resorts it will end up being an add on type thing like the Max Pass especially if that resort does not have unlimited days.

If they are adding resorts they need to do so before the pass goes on sale.  With Max Pass they would finalize the resort list before selling the pass and after they started no one could join or back out.

They really need to consider getting a ski area close to NYC on the pass or Vail will go on a buying spree and steal that market.  There's no way anywhere near as many people in NYC will buy the Ikon Pass as bought the Max Pass since the closest resort is currently Stratton which is over 4 hours away vs Mountain Creek only 90 minutes away plus Belleayre and Windham about 2.5 to 3 hours away.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
snoloco wrote
If they are adding resorts they need to do so before the pass goes on sale.  With Max Pass they would finalize the resort list before selling the pass and after they started no one could join or back out.
Not completely true. The RCR resorts were not added to Max pass until August/September last year.

Will be interested to see if RCR hooks onto any of these or goes it alone.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Danzilla wrote
snoloco wrote
Not completely true. The RCR resorts were not added to Max pass until August/September last year.

Will be interested to see if RCR hooks onto any of these or goes it alone.
Yep, both the MCP and the MAX Pass have added locations after sales started in the spring.  Usually the additions come in the summer.  Note that the MCP is not available in July and early August.  So announcing a new location is one way to create a buzz when sales start up again . . . at a higher price than before the end of June.

I think that was true for the Powder Alliance too but haven't followed that multi-resort variation that provides a few days at associated ski areas to season pass holders for no extra charge.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
What's everyone's take on the future of ORDA?

I talked to a family of four who was 10+year orda passholders who defected to max this year.  Since max pass is toast next year, I asked what their plan was for next year.  They won't be coming back to ORDA and plan on going to K with the Ikon add on if that exists.

I think many, hundreds if not thousands will do exactly as they did now that they realized what else is out there besides orda.

For Whiteface, they don't really have a core market anymore.  They're making it very clear that advanced skiers are no longer welcome (except racers) but have not transitioned into their new "intermediate friendly" market yet.  And they've had so many problems this year operationally so many will be looking to go elsewhere.  So who is going to buy a pass there that's not locked in based on location?

For Gore, it's still a day trip mountain for the Albany area.  With Stratton on Ikon and Gore not, people who are neutral between the two will likely switch to Stratton and also get K and some western mountains.  Of course some people hate the vibe at Stratton and will stick with Gore and probably also ski Whiteface.

Belleayre isn't near other mountains that are on multi resort passes except Hunter with the Peak Pass.  But they just put in a shiny new gondola and are promising more upgrades for next year.  I think they'll lose the least number of people.

What in your opinion should ORDA do to avoid being completely left behind in the new pass market?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
snoloco wrote
What's everyone's take on the future of ORDA?

They will be around for a long time

What else is it you wanted to know?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I wonder if with all the mountains on passes if it will de emphasize real estate and increase the demand for lodging.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like pricing is out:

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/ikon-pass
https://www.ikonpass.com/en/ikon-base-pass

Sorry if someone posted already, I didn't see it.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Thanks for posting.  I like that they added Sugarbush.  It's an easy daytrip from Potsdam.  And with Tremblant unlimited and no blackouts so I can avoid Whiteface on Chevy Weekend.

I'll probably get the cheaper version.  I don't need more than 5 days at Stratton and I would avoid it during the height of Christmas Week anyways.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
if you live out west that's dirt cheap...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Not planning to buy one but has anyone posted a side-by-side comparison of MAX vs IKON?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Max was better but Ikon has its bonuses.  I go to college in Potsdam and they added Sugarbush which I can get to without staying overnight.  And Tremblant is unlimited with no blackouts.

If you live in or near NYC or Boston it's a bust.  For NYC, Stratton is only 5 days with the cheaper version but it is unlimited on the more expensive one.  But it always requires and overnight.  For Boston, on the cheaper version you only get 5 days between Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf.  And even if you get the more expensive version you still only get 7 days between those three.  Total idiocy to not have mountains near population centers on this.  My opinion is Alterra marketing has their heads up their asses for allowing this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
snoloco wrote
Max was better but Ikon has its bonuses.  I go to college in Potsdam and they added Sugarbush which I can get to without staying overnight.  And Tremblant is unlimited with no blackouts.

If you live in or near NYC or Boston it's a bust.  For NYC, Stratton is only 5 days with the cheaper version but it is unlimited on the more expensive one.  But it always requires and overnight.  For Boston, on the cheaper version you only get 5 days between Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf.  And even if you get the more expensive version you still only get 7 days between those three.  Total idiocy to not have mountains near population centers on this.  My opinion is Alterra marketing has their heads up their asses for allowing this.
Totally agree with Sno.  This is a bust and very disappointing for Metro NYC skiers (me).  I’m enjoying the Maxpass this season, but will probably switch back to the Ski3 for next.  Ah well, will enjoy the Maxpass for now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Lateski wrote
snoloco wrote

Totally agree with Sno.  This is a bust and very disappointing for Metro NYC skiers (me).  I’m enjoying the Maxpass this season, but will probably switch back to the Ski3 for next.  Ah well, will enjoy the Maxpass for now.
Agreed. I’m thinking Plattekill season pass next year. It will require less thinking as well
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I just read the comments on the announcement FB post.  Looks like everyone who doesn't live in Colorado is really really angry. .

In Utah there is no unlimited at either Deer Valley or Alta/Snowbird and Brighton and Solitude which were on max pass were dropped.

In California, Mammoth isn't unlimited on the cheaper 600 dollar version and Squaw Valley is unlimited days but has blackouts on the cheaper version.

In the east, Stratton is only unlimited with the 900 dollar version and there's no Gore, Whiteface, Belleayre, Windham, Mountain Creek, Pico, Okemo, or Sunapee.  And instead of 5 days each at Loon, Sunday River, or Sugarloaf, there's only 5 or 7 days between them depending on what pass you buy.  So it sucks for both the Boston and NY markets.

From what I've seen this pass is a complete bust for the majority of the skiing public and Epic will soon be looking to stick it to them and cover the markets that Ikon screws.

I'd be curious to hear Z's take on this since he seems to know quite a bit about the ski biz.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Is there a Killington unlimited option?

Edit: looks like no.

Stratton, Tremblant & Blue in the east (Snowshoe, too, I guess)
12345 ... 8