classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
251 messages Options
12345 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jay, Burke and EB-5

PeeTex
Yea - I read that article but all that says is Bernie was there when they announced the deal. I found nothing that stated where Bernie was an active support to keep EB5 alive. If a program that was started in the 90's looked like it was going to bring in big bucks to Vt and he had a chance to get his mug pictured during the announcement why wouldn't he show up. Sure he wanted it to be a success, we all do. But it was not. Is that Bernie's fault, no. Unfortunately one cannot say who supported or opposed this as it seems to have been voted with unanimous consent every time it has been brought before our legislators since the 1990s. They must have seen big $ signs for letting in a few rich chumps. So I think this is a good question for all the candidates, bit Republicans and Democrats. I suspect Trump is the only one with balls enough to say it was a bad program from the onset.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
freeheeln wrote
Makes me miss those picnic tables at the old Stateside even more
Those were the days.

Photo by Harvey:

Harvey gets more photos of empty lodges than anyone, just saying
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
Harvey wrote
Steve Wright named GM.
Is that official?
Yes, official under the interim management company. Leisure Hotels at least has the sense to keep the good things going. Don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by freeheeln
LOL.

I was at Jay once, and I loved Stateside.  It didn't care that the urinals were stinky. I liked those beat tables, they reminded me of Plattekill and Hickory.

Always had mixed feelings about EB-5.  It feels like selling citizenship, and selling it at a high price that only the rich can afford. But, theoretically, that money goes to rural areas that need it. I don't know.

IF (?) the idea is ok, then I don't think you can blame Bernie for someone using the program to commit fraud.  People scam on all kinds of programs. Taxes, food stamps, defense contracts whatever. Any govt program can be scammed.

I will say that I don't have a ton of sympathy for the "investors." This is not like someone stealing food from starving children. These are two rich American guys ripping off a bunch of foreign millionaires and billionaires who's primary motivation was citizenship.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Peak Resorts and Mount Snow are also using EB-5 funding for their West Lake snowmaking project.  They're in some major debt right now, but I don't think they've broken any laws or committed fraud.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/04/breaking-news-jay-peak-inc-busted-by-sec-as-a-ponzi-scheme

The end of Bernie  as he spearheaded the EB5 for Jay.  He is just as corrupt as the rest.  You watch Obama's justice department is going to roast him on a spit but has ignored the Clnton email server deal.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
This post was updated on .
Surprised Clinton didn't bring it up in the debate
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/04/breaking-news-jay-peak-inc-busted-by-sec-as-a-ponzi-scheme

The end of Bernie  as he spearheaded the EB5 for Jay.  He is just as corrupt as the rest.  You watch Obama's justice department is going to roast him on a spit but has ignored the Clnton email server deal.

Yeah, right. Bernie made a quarter million dollars for a speech to a few of these people. Bernie is rolling in phat dough.

Hey, I hate political corruption like the next guy, but I applaud any politician bringing jobs into nowhere Vermont by scamming rich foreigners trying to buy green cards. Nice idea. Where's the downside?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote

Oh, my. That would open her up to some return flak, wouldn't you think? Glass houses and all.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I will say that Steve is following the social media playbook: stay engaged regardless of whether the news is good or bad.  That can't be easy.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
I will say that Steve is following the social media playbook: stay engaged regardless of whether the news is good or bad.  That can't be easy.
True dat. Dude is a trooper and loves the mountain.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by Harvey
I think that we can say with certainty that Jay sold its soul to the devil and now payment is do. The devil has been working 24 hours a day for several years at Jay due to off shore style money flowing like high priced champagne.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote

Poor logic and lack of reasoning, Coach. The program isn't corrupt, and Bernie isn't corrupt for supporting a program that created jobs for his state. The guy at the top of the program buying vacation homes and paying off his taxes using the EB-5 money is the corrupt one. Guilty by association assumes Bernie had a hand in it. I don't care how you swing politically, that is just a stupid thing to believe.

Unrelated... unofficialnetworks.com sucks and is a lousy source.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'm not a fan of the program, but it seems like if an opportunity exists for your state to get jobs and cash you almost have to do it. Jay did not HAVE TO run a ponzi.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Thacheronix wrote

Oh, my. That would open her up to some return flak, wouldn't you think? Glass houses and all.
No senator or representative can use this against any other, the reason is that all the bills that started the program and the subsequent ones that has kept it alive have passed by floor votes that were recorded as unanimous consent, no individual votes were recorded so all of them are equally culpable. As Benny states - its a glass house issue. Only Trump can use this issue cleanly.

Hell - if Bernie farted Z would say it was a clear sign that Bernie supported big business polluters, Z is so biased on politics he can't reason.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
Unrelated... unofficialnetworks.com sucks and is a lousy source.
And this surprises you, from someone who feeds at the dog dish of Faux Nuse.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Thacheronix wrote

Bad attempt at sarcasm was teasing coach, sorry
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Not sure how one can blame Bernie for these guys being scumbag thieving bitches.

I'm not a fan of the program either, at least the people gaining  citizenship this way are creating jobs and paying taxes. Sure beats the illegals in this country leaching on us.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
campgottagopee wrote
Sure beats the illegals in this country leaching on us.
Don't be Harp'n on them peeps, there the ones cleaning Hillarys toilet for $5/hr.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Personally I think the Feds should bear the brunt of the blame for this, lax oversight for years allowed this to happen.
bigger problem I have is that with all the money being spent, virtually nothing on the hill was improved and I know that is how the system works but it still stinks for the skiers.
12345 ... 13