Long Term Prognostication: Winter 2011-12

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
71 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Long Term Prognostication: Winter 2011-12

ScottyJack
Whoa, whoa, whoa little buck-a-roos!  let's stop w/ the debbie downer dosage!!

I'm going w/ the Josh Fox 4cast.  Sounds like the east coast is in for some action!!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by frosty
I agree with frosty.

i usually agree with with Josh..I think he is wrong this time..I bet he changes his tune..
I spoke to someone who is friends with Okemo's management..Okemo is ready to throw in the towel and suspend snowmaking very soon..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Whoa, whoa, whoa little buck-a-roos!  let's stop w/ the debbie downer dosage!!
I'm with you!

As of the 26th, Herb Stevens, "The Skiing Weatherman", was still calling for an upper level trough to develop, locking in some colder air for a while. He hasn't put out an updated outlook yet, but until he throws in the towel, I'm holding on to my optimism for February!!!

If nothing else, the current NOAA forecast for Lake Placid & Wilmington is calling for some very nice, seasonal weather beginning on Thursday and going through Monday at least. We just have to get through tomorrow. It looks like we could be in for a pretty good weekend. Here's hoping!!!

... oh, and go GIANTS!!!!

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
 Okemo is ready to throw in the towel and suspend snowmaking very soon..
That's scary. As Aussie noted elsewhere, we're only a couple weeks away from the traditional end of snowmaking. How much snow can any Mtn continue to make ? Business/money is probably already down due to low snowfall.

Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
..Okemo is ready to throw in the towel and suspend snowmaking very soon..
Thats terrifying..I feel like the season just started...
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
jimvdak wrote
I won't feel like the season has started until the woods open up.  By that measure, it is entirely possible this could be a non-season for Gore skiers.  Yes, some folks have been in the woods on a limited basis, but...
To tell the truth, I had a worried feeling about this season from the first few weeks, when Gore / WF barely pulled off a Thanksgiving opening and conditions were very marginal for the first 2 weekends.  I'm still hoping.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
 i usually agree with with Josh..I think he is wrong this time..I bet he changes his tune..

He changed his tune...

I wished he was right..not to be

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/2012/01/ugh-two-potential-storms-look-dead.html
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
JasonWx wrote
well his tune is still not all doom and gloom.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I'm not all doom and gloom either...I just see no meaningful improvement in our situation..Colder weather is on the way,but the pattern is blah...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
I won't feel like the season has started until the woods open up.  By that measure, it is entirely possible this could be a non-season for Gore skiers.  
Agreed.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
jimvdak wrote
 I had a worried feeling about this season from the first few weeks, when Gore / WF barely pulled off a Thanksgiving opening and conditions were very marginal for the first 2 weekends.  I'm still hoping.
By those parameters, last year would have been bad too..
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by miker92
miker92 wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
I won't feel like the season has started until the woods open up.  By that measure, it is entirely possible this could be a non-season for Gore skiers.  
Agreed.
I've been feeling that way all season
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
I just want SOME positive news at this point.  Something to pin some hope on.  It's February for God's sake
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
the ground hog saw his shadow. that's great news!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Lionel:

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/wetter-fur-naechstes-woche-7-2-11-zwi-2-12-11/

"We’ll see sustained cold temps as a high pressure system pumps cold air into the Northeast. We should have periods of snow flurries as weak areas of moisture move through. Two noticeable events will come with re-inforcing cold fronts. As these fronts move across the -20c air at 850 will work to spark snow showers of the very light and fluffy cold snow variety. Nothing looks tooo robust on the GFS but I’m sure each of these fronts has the chance to produce 4-6 inches of light snow across the Greens and ADK. So winter looks a little locked in for the next 10 days.

Beyond that we see the pattern relax a touch – which is a good thing. On or about President’s day/the few days after valentines day with the pattern relaxing we’ll see increased chances for a major east coast storm. Stay tuned."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
If you are interested in weather, what is going on in Europe is biblical. The canals of Venice froze for the first time since 1929. The Balkans are getting buried..Fascinating stuff..

That said , I think we are going to have a big March. We haven't had a good March in years and the pattern can't stay locked the way it is. Lets hope I'm right..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JasonWx wrote
If you are interested in weather, what is going on in Europe is biblical. The canals of Venice froze for the first time since 1929. The Balkans are getting buried..Fascinating stuff..

That said , I think we are going to have a big March. We haven't had a good March in years and the pattern can't stay locked the way it is. Lets hope I'm right..
I knew it, knew it, knew it.....GP crew is gonna have a rawkin good time and great skiing at the Face....all the azz clowns can thank me later
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Albany weather ....55 degrees tomorrow, 60 degrees Thursday.....I'll have to take my convertible to the Mtn.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
With the warm weather coming, will Gore be able to get past or even into this weekend?  Any thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Gore will have no problem getting through the next 2 weekends...Warm days cool nights, that snowmaking base isn't going anywhere..
"Peace and Love"