Long Term Prognostication: Winter 2011-12

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
71 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Long Term Prognostication: Winter 2011-12

evergreen
it feels like mid April felt last year, not the start of March.  I'm sorry but I kind of have a bad feeling about skiing past this weekend, it may be over......
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
We already decided pack up the house this coming weekend.  The 10 day forecast looks dismal and I doubt it will be worth the 9-hour round trip for us to come up and ski in the mud.  My kids are not happy about missing the bump contest, but there may not be any bumps to ski by the 18th anyway.  Fortunately, last fall I booked a trip to Colorado for the week before Easter, so we still have something to look forward to.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
pulling the plug on march 18th seems way premature - there is plenty of snow up high that has not even turned to corn yet so its got a long way to go

I am getting concerned that we may not make easter though
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Pulling the plug on the best part of ski season??  Nuts, just nuts..  

AS is right on.  Gore and WF will ski great through March and even early April.  I never understand my so many people disappear come March...

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
ScottyJack wrote
Pulling the plug on the best part of ski season??  Nuts, just nuts..  

AS is right on.  Gore and WF will ski great through March and even early April.  I never understand my so many people disappear come March...
+1

Although early golf is tempting.....but why not have both?  

The thing that surprised me most about dexter's post is that they have a house in the mountains.  I can see a flatlander who rarely skis being silly enough to give up on the season already.......but somebody invested in the sport enough to have a house in the mountains should know better.

We'll be up the 24th, 25th, 26th!
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Skidds wrote
The thing that surprised me most about dexter's post is that they have a house in the mountains.  I can see a flatlander who rarely skis being silly enough to give up on the season already.......but somebody invested in the sport enough to have a house in the mountains should know better.
I don't know how many of you work full time and drive 550 miles round trip every weekend, but it gets to be a real drag, especially when the conditions aren't going to be ideal.  If we lived in Albany or Saratoga, that might be a different story, but we have to weigh the benefits of skiing over the fatigue of the trip, the kids missing their spring sports games, and the cost of gas. I hope you all do have a fantastic late March. One of the benefits to owning a  house in the area is that we are not locked into a reservation for times when the weather is not great.  By the end of the weekend, we will have had 30 great days at Gore, and while I would love more, I also need a break.  Of course, if the storm of the century were to hit in the next week or two, we could always come back, but the forecast right now is for temperatures in the 50s from Sunday through the following weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
I hear you dex.....there are many factors involved.  Sounds like the prospect of less than stellar spring conditions, even though you probably realize there will still be decent skiing to be had, is the proverbial straw.  If only we all had the problem of having skied so much that we are able to pass on more marginal ski options.  I'm jealous.  Really, no sarcasm intended.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Both Bastardi and Lionel are talking about snow potential in early April.

BTW love poindex's post above. IMO, she speaks loud and clear for many ski families.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
LOL:

May be more that that. First time these maps haven't been blowtorch in about 3 weeks:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
just awful..too little too late..

it's over, just bring on the warm weather...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Jason...I'm not there yet...One more Day!!!  I am trying to substantiate the 3.5 hour drive to Jay but wouldn't mind hiking for Lies.  Looking at it yesterday, those bumps are preserved, literally
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back