classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
90 messages Options
JP
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mad River Glen Should...

JP
Sorry bout that but I would like MRG to lose the attitude, some of us like groomed runs and snowmaking, it makes Eastern skiing much more enjoyable, specially as I get older. I have nothing against those who like to go au-naturale but the reverse snobbism gets to me. You like it fine, but believe me the only way MRG could exist is because of the Okemo's and Strattons that keep the sport alive.
JIMMYPETE
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
JP wrote
lose the attitude
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JP
I spoke with Eric Friedman of Mad River Glen a couple weeks ago.

His comment about snowmaking:

"Most people think we don't have snowmaking out of a commitment to a natural experience.  The real reason is that we don't have access to water."

IMO why not have one place in the east without snowmaking? If you are going to have such a place it might as well be on the green mtn spine.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
MRG should not change a thing and if you don't like it there are Okemo's and Strattons to ski.  That is why you have options.  I wouldn't be caught dead at Okemo or Stratton (perhaps a free ticket and all the planets aligning perfectly...nah).  I am bummed when they mow bumps and think cruising is boring after a few runs...but that is my taste in skiing...we can all co-exist...woops sorry for the attitude.  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
Imagine how incredible the place would be if they could lay down a base , that wouldn't melt out with every thaw.

Even Alta and Snowbird make snow on high traffic areas..

other than that , i wouldn't change a thing.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I believe MRG has three guns for high traffic areas
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
JP wrote
Sorry bout that but I would like MRG to lose the attitude, some of us like groomed runs and snowmaking, it makes Eastern skiing much more enjoyable, specially as I get older. I have nothing against those who like to go au-naturale but the reverse snobbism gets to me. You like it fine, but believe me the only way MRG could exist is because of the Okemo's and Strattons that keep the sport alive.
I definitely agree with RIVERCOIL here. There are other places to ski that meet your description. But, they do actually groom. The "beginner" area off of Birdland is awesome. And if you go there, you can shred cord all day because no one else does. My mom hadn't skied since blowing out her knees in the 90s and now has a handful of days this season doing just that. AND LOVING IT! So, I can't hesitate in correcting you.

Also, there really isn't much tude there. Everyone is always pretty damn nice. Like Noah John says, they carry your skis across 17 and always insist on buying you the first beer. Life doesn't get better than skiing at Mad!
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
I don't care whether they love slow lifts and no snowmaking, I'm fine with that,  don't mind the atmosphere, it's the superior attitude, "Okemo, Stratton skiers, why you don't know what you're missing" yes I do 1972, more ice, harder for a 67 year old,  I know this sounds petty [and maybe it is] maybe it comes from a friend or two who constantly act that way. Sorry, I was in Utah and can't say that Snowbird skiers ever had the same superior attitude, even though one would be hard to find a groomer anywhere on the mountain. I didn't mean to put down the mountain just a certain type of skiing attitude, and like it or not snowboarding has probably saved Eastern skiing,  
JIMMYPETE
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Harvey44 wrote
I spoke with Eric Friedman of Mad River Glen a couple weeks ago.

His comment about snowmaking:

"Most people think we don't have snowmaking out of a commitment to a natural experience.  The real reason is that we don't have access to water."
They don't have water because they never got the permits or built the facilities to bring water for snowmaking.  If they had snowmaking, they would need to groom the trails, which would require them to be straighter and wider and the they would need a high speed quad to sell enough lift tickets to pay for it all, and probably a 4 level parking structure.  
When you look at that way, the current single chair/natural snow business model makes a lot of sense.
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
JP wrote
I don't care whether they love slow lifts and no snowmaking, I'm fine with that,  don't mind the atmosphere, it's the superior attitude, "Okemo, Stratton skiers, why you don't know what you're missing" yes I do 1972, more ice, harder for a 67 year old,  I know this sounds petty [and maybe it is] maybe it comes from a friend or two who constantly act that way. Sorry, I was in Utah and can't say that Snowbird skiers ever had the same superior attitude, even though one would be hard to find a groomer anywhere on the mountain. I didn't mean to put down the mountain just a certain type of skiing attitude, and like it or not snowboarding has probably saved Eastern skiing,
There's nothing wrong with skiing groomers at Okemo.  When that's all I can do, that's what I'll do.  OTOH, between the rock hard man made snow and snowboarders butt sliding the steep sections, there's very few places in the east where you can ski reasonable bumps, outside of a few northern Vermont areas.
The reason Snowbird skiers don't have "attitude" is because they are right next to Alta, the North American center of superior skier attitude.    
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Mr MRG
Glad to see folks on the NY State Ski Blog talkin' MRG!
Thanks to our fans over there and please let me know if you're in the area - love to show new skiers around MRG.
I'll try to keep "the attitude" to a minimum.

THINK SNOW!!!

Eric Friedman
Marketing Director - Mad River Glen
THINK SNOW!!!!

Eric

Eric Friedman
Marketing Director

Mad River Glen
PO Box 1089
62 Mad River Resort Road
Waitsfield, VT 05673

Phone:    (802) 496-3551 extension: 111
Email:     eric@madriverglen.com
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
I guess I just don't like any tude, I was on a lift at Squaw and some Californian started asking me where I was from, when I told him the East Coast, naturally he asked me how I liked the West, and  blah blah , but then he said "how can you ski in the East?", when I told him I had many many fine days, he said "yeah but nobody would ever fly to the East Coast to ski", so I said "yeah but the East has one thing to beat the West." He looked surprised and said "what" I said "fewer a**holes"
JIMMYPETE
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Welcome Eric
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
JP, that's pretty funny actually.

I have actually met people flying east to ski... Peeps from Utah at MRG during an epic year and a family from Arhentina skiing whiteface during their summer. Pretty cool when that happens.
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
I have had some great conditions in the East and some pretty crappy days out West, obviously, overall Western conditions are not as erratic, the elevation insures that. I know some East Coast residents who will only ski out West and I do tell them they don't know what they are missing.  
JIMMYPETE
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
A little off topic, but...

We all want to believe that our the choices we've made in life are the right ones.  It's human nature.

I've found that some people do this by trying to prove to you that your life decisions were/are the wrong ones.

IMO it's insecurity, and in some ways like bullying.  It's also obnoxious as hell.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
i agree entirely.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
JP wrote
 I would like MRG to lose the attitude,
??? was just there for the tele fest the attitude was so POSITIVE .lifties rockin the tunes ,patrol and locals sharing suggested runs.
JP wrote
 groomed runs and snowmaking, it makes Eastern skiing much more enjoyable
your opinion

JP wrote
I have nothing against those who like to go au-naturale
but you want grooming and snowmaking
JP wrote
 but believe me the only way MRG could exist is because of the Okemo's and Strattons that keep the sport alive.
place was packed 30 min liftlines nobody left early
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
30 minute liftlines OMG what happened Stratton and Okemo close for the weekend and they had no where else to go
were there people parked on 17 waiting for someone to take the skis off the tops of their cars?
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
There is something for everyone in the east and if you don't like one place don't ski there...Many choices to be had
MRG has a loyal and dedicated following and should not/will not change for that person that skis there once and wants to change the whole mountain
Long Live MRG being MRG
  and that's not Magic Hat in the glass
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
30 minute liftlines because it was telefest weekend...