Locked 664 messages Options
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 34
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Market Philosophy: What You Got?

Harvey
Administrator
Johnny can you start a separate thread for these ideas?  This is really our only investing thread. Thanks.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by PeeTex
P - at this moment nothing should be a surprise, regardless of the size and direction of the move. The only sure thing is that volatility will continue until the market feels like we have more clarity on what’s actually happening. If the promised testing doesn’t materialize, and if our leadership doesn’t offer larger and more direct fiscal packages, the market will continue down. Payroll tax breaks will not cut it - especially when people are losing jobs...payroll tax cut doesn’t matter if you aren’t working.

I also think the market didn’t like when states were told yesterday that they should be finding their own respirators and protective equipment for healthcare workers.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Johnny can you start a separate thread for these ideas?  This is really our only investing thread. Thanks.
I thought he was looking for Angle investors for his new startup.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yes Johnny. No humor in the market thread, this is very serious business.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Harvey wrote
I thought he was looking for Angle investors for his new startup.
Yes, but as a joke. I figured I'd inject some humor into this. I laughed.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sorry not trying to be a downer.

TGR has a bidet threat along the same lines, but last time I looked last night, nothing as creative as Johnny.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Bought Amazon this morning
Report said market share of food sales for them could double during this crisis.  I doubt Amazon ever runs out of TP

I had looked at REGN (Albany based by the way) last week and didn’t pull trigger.  Kicking myself over that now
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
The Dow Jones Industrial Average is merely a Greek chorus for this tragedy. It reacts......it shows a certain segment of the audience how to act.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Z
Amazon WAS out of TP last nite , we checked for shitz n giggles
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
The volatility in this market is incredible. Not much else to say. The amount of fiscal and monetary stimulus being thrown at this is remarkable, yet the market appears to be shrugging slightly and saying "so what else you got?"

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I’m not offering any investment advice to anybody ever. My question is: who the hell is selling at this point? Running for the hills last week I half understand but how can you get out with the Dow at 20k?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Brownski wrote
I’m not offering any investment advice to anybody ever. My question is: who the hell is selling at this point? Running for the hills last week I half understand but how can you get out with the Dow at 20k?
If you think that the pandemic will do more damage than traders currently think it will...

If you think government economic support will be targeted poorly or be insufficiently large to deal with the crisis...

If you think that a lot of publicly traded companies won't survive this period of limited income...

Then it might be prudent to sell.

I'm in permanent buy mode, but I have definitely seen information that suggests that this will be a waaaayyy bigger economic crisis than traders are currently pricing in.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I'm in permanent buy mode, but I have definitely seen information that suggests that this will be a waaaayyy bigger economic crisis than traders are currently pricing in.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I understand who is selling, I know people who are selling.

I do know some who are buying, like MC I am buying (small amount each week) as long as I have a paycheck.

What I don't get is how you are getting enough buyers to match the sellers.  I understand that when you have more sellers than buyer the price drops, but I still don't fully understand the mechanism.

Looks like numbers are down less in the south:

MC2 5678F589 wrote
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I understand all of that. I do have a basic understanding how prices go up and down. I’m not buying tons but in the last week, I’ve bought a little and sold nothing. I can’t imagine selling something today that I had confidence in two weeks ago. In a month the folks who are selling now are going to regret it in my opinion. I guess we’ll see.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I’m never been a big index guy and right now buying the right stocks are more important than ever
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
You'd think that stocks for companies that make work from home software would be a good investment right now. Oh amd diaper companies for the baby boom in 9 months.  (Thanks P)
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
My guess is severs for things like Zoom, Skype, Webex, etc are getting hammered right now as well as bandwidth availability. I need a software package from Microsoft this week and trying to get it has been a disaster.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Boom !!! down 35 per cent from the high
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Boy, those Tax cuts really stimulated business, huh? And now we have to give these huge corporations our tax dollars directly? This whole system is a sham.
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 34