CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mountain Creek: Bad Weekend

weekendwarrior
I enjoy your MC updates as I ski there w/ the triple play card. Thought about going this past weekend but now I'm glad I didn't. Just shows how heavily they rely on that gondola cab. If that breaks down the whole place falls apart.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
snoloco wrote
  Now mothers are bringing their entire families to the terrain park and their kids who don't know the simple park rules.  
all the places with smaller parks get this. I see whole duck lines of kids rolling over hits, destroying them..... That feature isn't there for you you to catch 2 inches of air , it is to jump on to the box, kid....
Reply | Threaded
|

weekendwarrior
In reply to this post by snoloco
Well,I'm a skier so I didn't realize the terrain parks were going downhill (no pun intended) as I don't use the features although I do ski at south. The trail pass to me was good & bad. Good in that it made people take entering the park more seriously, but bad in that if you were unaware of it & came to MC on a day trip it was another hoop for you to jump through (filling out the paper work etc) just to get on the mountain & get going. I wonder if you've gone to them formally with your complaints?It sounds like you're a season pass holder so that should carry some weight.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Skiers don't like terrain parks?
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
Intrawest wouldn't want Mountain Creek back for the main reason reason you stated: Its a day tripping mountain.

Intrawests whole model is based around building self contained realestate investments using the "Village" concept. Very quickly Intrawest realized their mistake in that Mountain Creek would never be that, thus why the entire base area at Vernon went undeveloped for years.
Reply | Threaded
|

weekendwarrior
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Many skiers do like them yes. I personally don't use them (middle aged skier incapable of doing tricks) but I do marvel at what some boarders & skiers can do in there. I coexist & ski around them mostly, sometimes taking on one of the jumps at a very slow speed resulting in a minuscule amount of air.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
No doubt Intrawest invested heavily into Mountain Creek when they took it over in 1997, but like I said for the most part it never fit their model. Ultimately it wasn't that Mountain Creek was something that wanted to get rid of pre-say but a matter of circumstance when the economy imploded and they were over burden with debt.

When they had to make a list of resorts to divest themselves of, Im sure Mountain Creeks case was not nearly as strong as its other properties to hold on to.

Now as to why the local media at the time trumpeted the return of the very group of people that drove Vernon Valley/Action Park into the ground is anyones guess. Im not surprised in the least about your report of slowly diminishing quality.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
evantful wrote
No doubt Intrawest invested heavily into Mountain Creek when they took it over in 1997, but like I said for the most part it never fit their model. Ultimately it wasn't that Mountain Creek was something that wanted to get rid of pre-say but a matter of circumstance when the economy imploded and they were over burden with debt.
It fit their model as Intrawest was trying to develop a big RE project at the top of MC. The problem was the project was rejected.

evantful wrote
When they had to make a list of resorts to divest themselves of, Im sure Mountain Creeks case was not nearly as strong as its other properties to hold on to.

Now as to why the local media at the time trumpeted the return of the very group of people that drove Vernon Valley/Action Park into the ground is anyones guess. Im not surprised in the least about your report of slowly diminishing quality.
The current owners own a lot of golf courses in the area and employ a lot of people. They also have relationships with the local media. Additionally,  people forget what a shyt show they made of VV/GG. It is only going to get worse.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by weekendwarrior
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
Sno they are apologizing

"We cannot tell a lie." This past weekend was historical in it's own way - fresh snow and a picture perfect bluebird day, plus Sunday was the real birthday of our first president, George Washington who we all know from school day lessons famously 'called it like it is' when confronted on chopping down the cherry tree. In that spirit, let's be honest. For some of you here this weekend, the experience stunk and the truth is, as your host it was really painful for us too. Frozen flooded water pipes in the lodge and a power surge that kept our lifts from operating are no fun. We can't control those elements but believe us, this isn't the way we like to play. You made the effort to spend your valuable time and money with us, and we let you down.

So, we'd like a 'Presidential Pardon' and a Do-Over. Your paid full-day lift ticket (or rental) from either Saturday or Sunday is valid for another visit through the end of the season and we've automatically added an extra visit to any qualifying Triple Play, Kids Play or Resolution Pack cards. Season Pass holders that put up with the service hold a special place and I want you to personally join me for a drink this weekend (age-appropriate for the kids too!) Your e-invite will be in your inbox shortly.
 There is a TON of snow on the mountain and plenty of skiing and riding ahead of us. You will do all of us at Mountain Creek an honor if you return for another visit and leave with a smile. Get Out & Play,
 MC President - Bill Benneyan
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Well, that's " something ". Can I have your beer Sno ?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Gunny J
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
BEER, kid BEER. What about the BEER ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
Just saw it almost as soon as they put it up.  Good move.  I was there Saturday, so maybe I will get to meet the resort president out of this.  I think my opinion of these guys would improve if I knew better what they were doing in management.  Very few days are as bad as Saturday and Sunday were and I hope they see this as a lesson to have a plan in place if there was a catastrophic lift failure like there was on Sunday or a problem with the lodge that caused it to be partially evacuated like Saturday.
Are you going to tell the president he's incompetent to his face?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote
Just saw it almost as soon as they put it up.  Good move.  I was there Saturday, so maybe I will get to meet the resort president out of this.  I think my opinion of these guys would improve if I knew better what they were doing in management.  Very few days are as bad as Saturday and Sunday were and I hope they see this as a lesson to have a plan in place if there was a catastrophic lift failure like there was on Sunday or a problem with the lodge that caused it to be partially evacuated like Saturday.
It would be awfully tempting, eh? I see an opportunity to ask this guy, What are you gonna do to make improvements?  And put it on the record right here.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote
I double dog dare you, Sno.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
snoloco wrote
weekendwarrior wrote
I wonder if you've gone to them formally with your complaints?It sounds like you're a season pass holder so that should carry some weight.
I am a season passholder both in the winter and at Action Park in the summer.  I also buy food/drink every time I am there.  I have calculated that I spend over 3000 dollars of my dad's money over a year at the place.  These guys still don't care, they have become so rich from running everything on the cheap and charging prices more like what an upscale resort should be charging.  3000 dollars to them is pennies on the dollar.  I have also heard that some other people have written to them, yet nothing gets done.  Tons of park kids were advocating for the terrain park to be expanded back to its original size and the park pass to come back, but they didn't even listen and haven't done a single thing.  To put it in perspective what they charge for what they offer, Jiminy Peak charges $69 on non holidays.  MC charges 67 and is almost the exact same size, maybe slightly smaller.  Jiminy Peak provides a much higher level of service than MC does for the same price, so MC could well be cutting corners so the owners can pocket more profits.
You do realize just how much you sound like a spoiled little turd right?  
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"