104 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NY Snowmobile Conditions

tjf1967
This post was updated on .
I've been waiting patiently.  Figured you need a conditions page now that you have gone over to the dark side.  Pictures and reports much appreciated slacker.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Camp snowmobile conditions

campgottagopee
LOL -- slacker??? MY ASS!!

We're still tip toeing around due to no real base. Ground is frozen solid which is helpful but can't really let er rip.

Got 45 miles in yesterday ---- hoping we get some LE later this week (locals calling for some) then it will be game on! Certain areas we can let er eat, mainly wind loaded sides of the fields are providing some POW drifts and face shots.

Beer break from yesterday

Trail map for those interested

I live right on S53

https://www.jimapco.com/maproom/snowmobile/nys/

You need to scroll down until you see Seven Valley Snow Goers, then click the link to see our trails here in CNY
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by tjf1967

tjf1967 wrote
I've been waiting patiently.  Figured you need a conditions page now that you have gone over to the dark side.  Pictures and reports much appreciated slacker.
Good one TJ!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Camp, we don't want to see any pics of sleds leaning on trees!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Phew --- close one yesterday

This new sled has a noticeably wider ski stance than my 06 did ---- doesn't quite fit thru some of the spots my old one did
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
It aint riding if there aint beer.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
OCD Alert

OK I just noticed this and I do like it.  After all snowmobiles do have SKIS, so technically these posts are Ski Conditions.

I'd like to LEAVE it in Conditions Forum if I can change the title to Snowmobile Conditions so it could be for all.

TJ?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
If you did not tell me I would probably not notice the change.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
tjf1967 wrote
If you did not tell me I would probably not notice the change.

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Camp, that's some step up from your old sleds.

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Some people get bendy if you change their shit and stuff.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Camp, that's some step up from your old sleds.

OMG --- that's the best thing ever!!! The dude even has a mullet!

He's tough as nails ---- wicked case job on that jump
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Enticer 340. Great sled
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
For sure!

Now I'm on the hunt for something pre 80's --- gotta have some old iron to beat around on early and late season. I'm an Arctic Cat guy so I'm thinking of a 440 Panther.

We should be good to go by Saturday night ---- calling for 6 to 12 of LE  BRAAP!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Riding is getting nice, real nice here in the Valley but still sketchy in the fields (windblown AF). Just a little more POW and everything will be in play for us.

With the temps/windchill's well into the double digits below zero Sat night's ride was short. We just burped around town towards Trax to listen to the band.

Sunday morning was still -8, breakfast at the Gun Club before our ride was the plan. We finally got moving around 10AM. We set out to do the county loop but due to windblown fields it wasn't isn't the cards. We still managed 54 miles riding hilltop to hilltop.

Main trails were groomed flat with a couple inches of POW on top. It was time to let them eat --- man there's nothing better than that.

First stop was Hoxie's Gorge. It's always a fun ride over there as the trail parallels RTE 81 for about an 1/8 of a mile, literally right next to the guard rail. As you blast by people in their cars the look on their faces is priceless.

From there it was a stop back at the Sled Shack for a beer and a quick warm-up.

It didn't take long before we all got the itch to get back out there. The trail goes right past Chair 5 (noticed it wasn't running), then right up along Arcadian Gate. Serious POW!!! Drift blasting is a real hoot!

Once up on top we ran into more groomed trails.  To our surprise we ran into more untouched groomed trails. Game on!

We decided to try and make it to the cabin. It's a real bitch to get to due to drifting snow. It's a ride that I would never have tried on my old sled, but this new one made it cake! The torque provide by this 4 stroke is wicked! Steep climb full of POW drifts was wicked.

Pretty nice view from up there as well.

From there it was time to head down to Trax to complete our ride. What a great day!!

We tried to hook up with the crew but we were too late. Riding was too good.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Camp, there is a 1978 Enticer 250 for sale in Fort Ann, $400, says it runs. Saw it on Facebook marketplace.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Been riding a good amount in SE Adks:

South Warren trails are in terrific shape- best club around with grooming, trail quality, signage.  Nice views at top of Prospect Mtn, French Mountain and through Luzerne.

Did 70 miles on North Warren Trails on Sunday: Dropped sleds in Warrensburg and rode North through the Pack Forest and up through Chestertown (passed Dynamite Hill), Across Brandt Lake and through the Mountains toward Hague.  Turned around shortly after Long Pond do get home for dinner.
Break in a nice Hemlock Grove

Rode briefly at Mulleyville last night, trails had not been groomed since the weekend, only did 15 miles before calling it quits.

Sleds are a ton of fun
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
How were the conditions east of brant lake, I have ridden from Bolton (right after where 9 bends over and around Northwest bay) but not this year yet.  All those small ponds and lakes were in good shape?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Chris
NOICE!!

You ever ride in Speculator? My buddy owns the Yamaha dealership there so he's quite familiar with the area. Going to try and get up there for a couple long weekends this year to chase him around.

And yes, sleds are wicked fun
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
NorEaster27 wrote
How were the conditions east of brant lake, I have ridden from Bolton (right after where 9 bends over and around Northwest bay) but not this year yet.  All those small ponds and lakes were in good shape?
They had only groomed about 1 mile east of Brant Lake before turning the groomer around, it was pretty bony down there and the probably didn't want to break anything on the drag.  We had 2nd tracks on that section.  From then on our it was ridden in nicely, but not groomed.  Certainly not blasting around corners, but the scenery up there is perfect for the speed that we rode it (10-20mph).  Still bony in spots.  Lakes/Ponds were in good shape, there's some nice pillow lines up by Long Pond...

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
1234 ... 6