NY Snowmobile Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
104 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Camp snowmobile conditions

campgottagopee
Harv, there is SO much that could go wrong as sleds are not made to run over water. He had no idea what the ice was like on the other side, would he find a spot he could pop back up on to make his return turn or would he have to do it in the water. He made a massively wide turn because he said it was so slushy it was fighting him the entire time. Keep in mind you have to do all of this going wide effin open, so basically it's a one shot deal. Shit happens real fast around 90+MPH. If he were to back of the throttle even just the slightest he would've sunk. He didn't even know how good his belt was going to react because we had just adjusted it in the parking lot as soon as we had gotten there.

There are races etc over water on sleds but guys have special built sleds for that. This was a bone stock REV 800 EX, great trail sled but not ideal for the water.

#14 is just one of those guys ---- he is the guy that the does the shit nobody else will do because they don;t have the balls, or think too much about what could happen. I guarantee you the only thought going thru his head was how he couldn't wait to get back and finish his beer with us.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
Riding is done in the Valley this year but overall an excellent year! Lots of great POW rides and more fun than people should be allowed to have. Anyway, we wanted one more ride and knew Tug Hill would be the place to go. After a couple of phone calls we found out the place to ride was Highmarket Inn and north.

Every good ride starts out with the Pledge of Allegiance

Yea there's plenty of snow left there

Grooming had stopped for the year the day before we got there but we didn't care, it was better than being at work or not riding at all. We got in 123 miles, 80 of it in 1 to 2 foot whoops and 43 miles of groomed. In the AM the whoops were frozen solid so we really beat ourselves up pretty good. After a few hours the whoops began to soften and the snow became super tacky.  Man all of a sudden we were hooked right up and on top of them. Mash tater bumps are so fun to skip across the tops of, what a blast!

We saw lots of deer on our ride too.

On our way to Montague Inn

We ran into these friggin things. They are creepy in a sci-fi kinda way, I didn't like them and truly felt uneasy around them. The whooshing sound they make is beyond weird.

We met all kinds of really cool cats ---- some local and some not. Thanks Tug for the last ride of the year. We will see you again next year for the last hurrah of the season

Who knows, maybe if we get a corn harvest Sunday I'll go skiing  
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Nice Campster !! Ur getting a taste of The REAL NC .

The Tug wind farm is surreal but the one in Chateaugay way up nord "Eh  " like near  the  border and not terribly far where those  dudes busted loose from the BIG House is like a damn moonscape with density o these  huge  bladed bastages

People either love em or hate em, noise is a factor and along the river there has been some real controversy over visual pollution for some property owners and big windy lost

But the Tug and Chateaugay sites are remote so fewer were affected. Many  of those towers came up through our local port and as you observed they ARE huge . Winding them thru our streets once off loaded from the ships  to the arterial highway was a site to behold . Damn those truck drivers knew what in hell they were doing .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I did not like them at all. Hard to explain but I really felt uneasy around them, almost like they were aliens or some crazy thing. Normally crap like that doesn't bother me. We road right up to the base of one and man o man the noise was incredible. You could hear the turbines in there, the whooshing was immense. Sounded like a jet taking off. The wind was ripping as well so maybe that had something to do with it. They're just weird and totally out of place imo. Put those damn things in the city somewhere and not out in Gods Country.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Dang Camp, that looks fun as hell.

I have mixed feelings about wind turbines also.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It's a blast --- I'm thinking about heading back to Highmarket Inn this summer for their Annual Bike Race

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I need these for reasons.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I need these for reasons.
And those reasons would be:
1) I’m board and need a project?
2) Money is burning a whole in my pocket.
3) I’m trying to get my wife to sue for divorce.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Love my retro Johnny
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Figured some may like an update.

We got 20" of cold smoke from the last storm which completely got us going. With frigid temps and howling winds we stayed local during the storm.

We started at my Toy Shed

Breaking trail everywhere was a major blast! POW shots everywhere, at times you would be completely submerged just hanging on. Storm/POW riding is you better manhandle your sled or it's going to manhandle you.

We made it to the cabin. The hill climb up there is totally single file. The only thing worse than getting 1 sled stuck on that climb is having 2 sleds stuck.  

Like any good ride in the Valley it ends at Trax
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yesterday was incredibly fun. We went on a 125 mile jaunt hitting 3 ski areas. Not too many places in NYS can you do such a thing but you can here in  CNY

Of course we started at our beloved GP. Still breaking trail (30 miles worth) the plan was to go to the Hiawatha Inn located in Truxton NY. Great peeps, beers, and food.

From there we hit ribbons, game on! Flat and fast was the theme for the rest of the day. Labrador Mountain was the next stop. I love Lab. Really cool/fun bar and same for the staff that works there.

From there it was over to Song Mountain. The place was full of kids. The real bar downstairs wasn't open so we only stayed for a quick one then back on the trail.

The ride home (sorry no pics) was beautiful. The moon was incredible, trails were hard/fast and we were all hooked up just a gettin' it.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Man makes me want to get another sled.  I been to that bar in truxton, I have a friend I hang out with that is less than a mile from Song.  I'm going to catch up with you one of these weekends.  I was at the face.  Top five POW day there.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Right on!

The Hiawatha Inn is a local legend
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Looks like a ton of fun to me
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
 It is. It's an amazing workout as well. I feel like I got run over by a truck today.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Brownski
I have never been snowmobiling...Got a give it a try someday..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You'll get hooked then you're screwed
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee