classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
104 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Camp snowmobile conditions

campgottagopee
Me too!

I'm remaining hopeful that cold air and snow sets in.

Regardless the pig roast in Forestport is worth driving a truck to
Reply | Threaded
|

LightCahill
In reply to this post by JasonWx
This guy... (Mr. Orlando)
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Got out last night in Mullyville (Northwest Saratoga County, Lake Desolation area)
Good little ride cut short because I didn't fill the sled up on the way there... "Nah, I'll support the local club and fill up at Tinny's"... Well Tinny's is closed Tuesdays...

So got about 50mi in, Groomers were heading out as I was going back to the truck with 1 bar of gas and oil light on.

Hoping to Ride from Corinth to Fulton County Friday morning for a weekend of riding.  Will need to cross Sacandaga on Friday morning, hoping slush settles and tightens up a bit tomorrow night... Also hope the freezing rain doesn't bring TOO much stuff down.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Given the rain/refreeze went sledding today instead of skiing. It was a good choice up here in the forge despite the masses coming up for free sled weekend. I'll be skiing Gore tomorrow though.

Rode about 50 miles last night for a beer at Miriam's (Stillwater) and riding was great on trail 9 to Stillwater road. Also great on trail 1 to the brantingham cut-off. Trail 5 and 4th lake...trash. BBQ and Brews at the mountainside were awesome though! Go there!

Went out twice today. In the AM rode to confusion flats toward Brantingham and tried to run up to Miriam's for breakfast but the connector was complete open water 1 mile in...turned around and headed back to the forge. On the way back noticed all the inner trails were flat and fast. Mental note. Tons of sleds out starting around 11...before was deserted. Tack on another 50.

Went back out around 4. With 4th lake trash, had to take trail 5 which was trash. After that was awesome as long as you stuck near the forge. Once you headed up to Big Moose or Miriam's forget it. Moguls everywhere. Everybody in the bars, so deserted trails. I'll take it! Tack on another 50.

People rode responsibly up here today for the most part. Big change from the usual people passing on blind corners or hills into oncoming traffic. Way to go. Let's keep this up.

So 150 between last night and today, and most miles were smiles. In my book, it's not about miles, it's about smiles.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Riding is crazy good right now. With the temps it's looking like it will be good for a while now. A little snow for tomorrow and it will be even better. And there's still plenty of untracked  to be found as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote

People rode responsibly up here today for the most part. Big change from the usual people passing on blind corners or hills into oncoming traffic. Way to go. Let's keep this up.

I like hearing that. One nice thing about riding our local trail system is we don't see many other sleds.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
2 - tree inches of snow yesterday provided some great riding. It just keeps getting better. Anyway, a nice 81 mile loop with my neighbor yesterday.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
hope it's not on a ATV
We're going for it

Forecast looks good

there will def be some sketchy spots but we can deal with it

sled all serviced and ready to roll ---- heading out Sunday AM
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
2B was the place 2B yesterday

While we're getting close to the end here in CNY there is still some riding left iffin you can get there.

It has been an excellent year. By far the best year in my 3 full time years of riding. A+ rating

Hoping for one more good storm in March. If not the outlaw trails will do just fine
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ADK Loop is in the planning stage. Right now we know we'll be staying at Long Lake Feb 11th & 12th and Forest Port on the 15th.

Chris, TJ, or anyone know if Long Lake to LP is doable in a days ride? From the map it certainly looks like it would be but any local intel would be appreciated.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
If the tracks are covered the ride from Tupper to lp can't be more that 30 miles.  130 mile day is that to much?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Perfect!! We shoot for 100 miles/day so that fits in perfectly --- thanks for the info

there's some guys that will ride 200+ but for me that would turn something fun into something like work
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Tracks are not covered fro TL to LP
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Hopefully that changes in 2 weeks.....fingers crossed
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Camp planning his next sled trip

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I remember as a kid, sitting outside my grandparents’ gas station, watching people zipping around the ice on the Mohawk in all kinds of vehicles, motorcycles, pickups, cars.... My dad would always say, “At least one of them is going through the ice- there’s always at least one every year.”

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2020/02/yikes-record-year-for-upstate-ny-snowmobiles-atvs-going-through-ice.html
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller