classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
125 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NY Taxpayer Ski Free Day?

Ethan Snow
Berkshire East is awesome! hard to believe that place is private? Family Owned?

Snoloco, Hunter is owned by Peak Resorts. I think you knew that. Windham is a huge multi billion dollar NYC funded Realestate company. Hardly a private business, and I couldn't give a shit how they feel about Belleayre, and Gore offering one free day to those who can't afford to ski at Windham.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Right now, Gore tickets are more expensive than Windham tickets.  Belleayre has been priced tickets below market value for years.

Still, Peak Resorts and whatever company runs Windham would pitch a fit if ORDA did this.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote

EDIT: hmmm, is he just referring to Mountains owned by an individual? That's a weird way to distinguish among mountains...
What I mean is family owned. Not sure how you define "private".
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by snoloco
Bah Humbug! poor Peak resorts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
There are 40 (+/-) ski areas in NY. Three are state owned or public. The rest are private.

The crankiness of someone like Laszlo is understandable:

"I am paying taxes to subsidize a competitor that can operate at a loss indefinitely and they are using my money to undercut my price."

While you may have less sympathy for Hunter or Windham, they can make the same argument.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Harvey wrote
There are 40 (+/-) ski areas in NY. Three are state owned or public. The rest are private.

"I am paying taxes to subsidize a competitor that can operate at a loss indefinitely and they are using my money to undercut my price."

While you may have less sympathy for Hunter or Windham, they can make the same argument.
Boom. This is an example of the state F-ing over small businesses.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Harvey

Harvey wrote

I get it. Laszlo is in a very tough position there. But it is completely his own choice to be running a shoestring business in a high tax state.

So, doesn't that mean that Windham and Peak, and whoever else is paying State business taxes, property taxes etc. that are theoretically subsidizing ORDA?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I think you just answered my question.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Harv's position on this is not completely unbiased, I believe he gets a few perks to support Platty. It's humorous, those on this forum, the most liberal are quick to turn on the welfare state when it's in thier own self interest.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PeeTex wrote
Harv's position on this is not completely unbiased, I believe he gets a few perks to support Platty. It's humorous, those on this forum, the most liberal are quick to turn on the welfare state when it's in thier own self interest.
And he should. He runs a business here and I think it's ok if he shows support for a partner, especially one that is a small business that might take a hit from a state run program funded by state tax dollars.

I'm guessing his "perks" aren't extremely glamorous or ridiculous and if any mountain deserves a little recognition for their efforts well then Plattekill gets my vote.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
So, doesn't that mean that Windham and Peak, and whoever else is paying State business taxes, property taxes etc. that are theoretically subsidizing ORDA?
This is not theoretical. Windham and Peak and every other business in NY is subsidizing ORDA.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
I have no problem with Harv supporting Platty, I think their great and would like to see more like them. However, if it weren't for ORDA, WF & Gore would not exist and LP would be a shit hole and NC would be boarded up. No private enterprise would touch these two ski areas and thousands of people in the North Country would be out of work. ORDA faces their own set of challenges dealing with the State and the APA
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Well how is ORDA offering ONE free day to its residents any worse than offering programs like WIC or food stamps to people who fall below the poverty line? Grocerey stores will take a hit as a result. Some stores such as Aldi don't accept food stamps. I don't see how one free day is going to cause other resorts to take a hit. A lot of the people who would go are not going to be people who would normally show up to Hunter, Windham Plattekill etc on a busy day anyway. Laszlo and his employees would be just as entitled to take advantage of this opportunity. An opportunity like this may get people to come,out, and get them hooked. Then, they would be likely to go where skiing is less expensive, and Plattekill is one of those places.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Why not take a bit of profit from the ORDA areas and give the mom and pop funds to create free skiing days to newbies? Wouldn't that help possibly create new skiers that would likely give payback to the sport, orda areas, and the mom and pop areas at the same time?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
ORDA giving back money to mom and pop areas? What a concept.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Why not take a bit of profit from the ORDA areas and give the mom and pop funds to create free skiing days to newbies? Wouldn't that help possibly create new skiers that would likely give payback to the sport, orda areas, and the mom and pop areas at the same time?

This is not exactly what you suggest, but SANY (Ski Areas of NY) is an industry group that is closely tied to the state and ORDA.  They offer a program to make family skiing more affordable and it benefits all NY mountains. Third and fourth graders ski free:

https://www.iskiny.com/ski-deals/free-kids-passport
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
There seems to be some misinformation out there about the relationship between NYSB and various mountains.

A few facts:

• NYSB supports all skiing.

• NYSB supports all NY ski mountains.

• NYSB is not profitable. This year our operating loss will be about $2500. These costs are borne by me.

• Since the beginning (2008) I have never published a word on nyskiblog.com that I don't stand behind 100%.  I am regularly approached to publish content for money and have not accepted those offers.

• NYSB is a labor of love, not a business.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Harv's position on this is not completely unbiased, I believe he gets a few perks to support Platty.
The new Lamborghini that Harv drives? Bought and paid for by Plattekill!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Laszlo doesn't even drive a lambo. He has an old beamer with paint peeling on the rims. I support all skiing as well. I now hold a Peak pass, a Plattekill pass and an Empire card. This year.  I feel like I'm pretty diversified in my ski mountains. Hunter and Pattekill I visit the most often due to location. Merry Christmas guys.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
PeeTex wrote
Harv's position on this is not completely unbiased, I believe he gets a few perks to support Platty.
The new Lamborghini that Harv drives? Bought and paid for by Plattekill!
Well then it would be the Plattykill Ski Blog, but I seem to recall the mention of a few free lift tickets along the way. I leave it up to Harv to refute that. I don't think that's wrong and I know Platty does a lot to support the people in the industry so why not Harv who is doing a good job of promoting the sport as well. Will that bias Harv, I am sure he would look the other way on a few rough edges given the amount of good will Platty had put in the bank, I know I would. Like defending a friend who step out of line once or twice. So don't take offense Harv, your doing a good thing here.

Oh, and Harv - if you a running a net loss of $2500/yr for this than your one generous dude that really needs to explore some cost reducing options, but I won't get into your stuff on that. However, That's a lot of college money for that smart little skier - just say'in,

Merry Christmas big guy.
12345 ... 7