classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
125 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NY Taxpayer Ski Free Day?

Ethan Snow
Brownski wrote
That is not a bait n switch. Bait n switch is a well established tactic that is illegal. You shouldn't slander people so casually.
I'm sure Laz would sell the guy two tickets for $60. If he reduces his price cause he has less terrain open and is selling tickets for $35 or $40 or whatever, that is clearly a separate offer. My ten year old has the reading comprehension to understand that. If you show up that day, you just have to choose between the two offers. Two for sixty is still better then one for forty so I don't see what there is to complain about.
You said it better than I did Brownski. Thank you. I agree, Laz would have sold the guy two for 60
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Brownski
If you drop the price to reflect having only two trails open, that's not an offer.  That's setting the price to reflect the quality of the product.  Mountain's that have frequent skier cards base that price off a percentage of the window rate for a given day.  If the frequent skier card gives 25% off and they're charging 60 dollars that day, the price is 45 dollars.  If the window rate was dropped to 40 dollars to reflect having limited terrain open, the frequent skier price would be 30 dollars.  The BOGO coupon is essentially a 50% off coupon for two tickets.

According to Glade's story, the coupon was said to be valid with any full day ticket purchased on mountain.  Did not say it was based off the full price window rate.  It was also supposedly the third time Plattekill rejected these coupons on him.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
So, you think Glade should have been able to ski for $18 that day? I mean what the hell is anyone, Glade, or Laz going to do with eighteen dollars?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
I am very familiar with the story you are talking about. Laz was pissed, but I do understand why he wouldn't accept the BOGO. Lift tickets were $35 that day, and I don't know any mountains that accept BOGOs on top of discounted tickets. As far as Glade getting bait and switched three times, I can not speak for that. It sounds like a story to me, or he was trying to get a deal on top of a deal which is obnoxious.  I have friends who use the Buy 1 get 1 coupons for Plattekill now and then and we've never had any problems as long as you buy one full price ticket.
What was he pissed about?  That Glade took his business elsewhere?  I think he mainly did that because it would have only cost 10 dollars more to go to Belleayre because Plattekill didn't accept his coupon, and Belleayre had much more terrain open.

Says on the website that coupons/discounts are valid off full price, full day lift tickets.  The question is, whether full day full price means the window rate during peak season (as is listed on the website), or the full price window rate on a given day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by snoloco
Repeating yourself doesn't make you right. Laz is a lot smarter then you so I'm sure the wording on both discount offers included that they couldn't be combined with other offers. One is a BOGO and the other is a late season discount or an early season discount or some other discount. Go and ask one of the adults and he/she will explain it to you. Then come back here and apologize for slandering an honest guy who is trying to make an honest living.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Brownski wrote
an honest guy who is trying to make an honest living.
Laszlo? LOL
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Brownski wrote
Then come back here and apologize for slandering an honest guy who is trying to make an honest living.
I don't have a damn thing to apologize for.  Does Plattekill get a "safe space" from anyone questioning their business practices?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Ethan Snow wrote
Brownski wrote
an honest guy who is trying to make an honest living.
Laszlo? LOL
Dude, I don know him as well as you do (met him briefly twice) but I know plenty of small business owners and hustling doesn't make you dishonest. The guy offers a product at a certain price. Everybody that sells stuff discounts their products and nobody would put their stuff on sale at 40% off and then accept a coupon for another 50%.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This is the story that started the whole Glade shit show.

Tickets were $35 that day and Glade wanted to use a BOGO to pay $17.50.  The ticket window wouldn't honor both discounts.  He went off on the woman and said he was going to Belle to pay $40 for more terrain. Laz heard the ruckus and told him to go to Belle.

If this happened to him three times then he knew the policy.

Here's my bias: IMO, $35 is a fair price to ride a lift up the mountain and ski down. If that is too much for you then you should ski Greek Peak on a $5 day or head into the BC.

If you want a hill like Plattekill to survive, you've got to go there and spend some fucking money. Laz should crack down on grills on the deck, raise the price of burgers and charge $20 for parking. If you want a mountain that has perfected the art of fine print go somewhere else.

When it comes down to it, it's the Marcski's of the world who will keep Plattekill going, there's no future catering to Glade with his bag lunch, flask and $17 lift ticket.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Says on the website that coupons/discounts are valid off full price, full day lift tickets.  The question is, whether full day full price means the window rate during peak season (as is listed on the website), or the full price window rate on a given day.
It isn't a question, genius. It means the full price. If he is selling his tickets at the window for $35, that's a sale. If you have a BOGO coupon, that is a separate offer. All your buddy had to decide wether he wanted two tickets for $70 or two tickets for $60. It sounds to me like everybody was getting a pretty good deal that day.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Glade never did any of those things.  He showed up with 4 people intending to use BOGO's to pay 70 dollars for two tickets.  It was always in the back of his mind that if Plattekill rejected the coupon that he would go to Belleayre because they were charging 40 dollars and had much more terrain open.  When Plattekill rejected the coupon, he first explained that he thought it should've been valid because the coupon said full day ticket instead of full price ticket.  They have since changed it.  When they still wouldn't take it, he began talking to the people he was with about going to Belleayre making sure they were loud enough for Laz to hear.  I heard they had 10 people there that day.  Could've been 14 had they taken his coupon.

I think Plattekill should honor the discounts as they defined the policy.  The way it's defined on the website probably means "only valid with a full price mid season ticket" but, isn't entirely clear, and it would be pretty easy to argue the other way (valid for window price on the given day).
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey wrote
 Laz should crack down on grills on the deck, raise the price of burgers and charge $20 for parking. If you want a mountain that has perfected the art of fine print go somewhere else.
Sounds like a good way to go out of business by cracking down on the well established culture of the place.

The people who don't want grilling on deck, but want expensive burgers and 20 dollar parking are already enjoying themselves at Windham.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It was sarcasm sno.

The people who really get the "culture of the place" are not trying to squeeze the hill for every penny.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Harvey wrote

Here's my bias: IMO, $35 is a fair price to ride a lift up the mountain and ski down. If that is too much for you then you should ski Greek Peak on a $5 day or head into the BC.

$35 is a very fair price. I think I said that before. 17.50 is ridiculous. Never thought any differently.

Harvey wrote
 Laz should crack down on grills on the deck, raise the price of burgers and charge $20 for parking.
But in that case, no one would come. Plattekill is more primitive than other resorts, and they need to keep their pricing slightly lower. (which they do) I can park for free at any other mountain in NY. Plattekill is no more entitled to charge top dollar to park on dirt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Harvey wrote

The people who really get the "culture of the place" are not trying to squeeze the hill for every penny.
I worked there over the bike season. Never picked up my last paycheck, and am not planning on doing so. I just paid full price (in my age group) for a season pass so I can enjoy myself as a customer maybe 6 times this season because I like the culture.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This argument is about the grown man that skis without poles?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Brownski wrote
 If he is selling his tickets at the window for $35, that's a sale.
If expressly sold as such, it's a sale price. If not, it's not.

For instance, early season/late season day ticket pricing, is that a sale price OR full price for those dates ? Depends how the business sells (presents) it to the customer.

So there's points both ways but really, who cares to split hairs that fine over what was a cheap day of skiing either way. OMG. It's a whole lot of " tomato - tomawto ".

No matter, Glade had no bitch. Him just wanna be a pain in some ass.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Glade is concerned about his reputation a synopsis of his message:

Doesn't do bag lunch
No flask ever
Never spoke to Laz
Kept his cool
Bought beers and lunch at Belle
Would buy beer at Plattekill
Doesn't appreciate being slandered
snoloco is his number one fan
He is good for the sport
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I was there, Gladerunner was not abusive to the lady at the ticket window, he simply explained that he believed the BOGO should be valid. If I recall correctly, North Face was the only trail open. Perhaps Platty should've opted to not open at all. I for one don't think one trail is worth $35 to ski, Superstar late Spring withstanding.I understand it may seem petty to try and ski as cheaply as possible, but not all of us can afford cabins in the Daks. Perhaps we shouldn't be skiing at all, but we choose to at the expense of other things. I also find it hypocritical that you  look down your nose at brown baggers while skiing for free yourself. FYI, Glade doesn't have a flask, doesn't drink at all while skiing, he's not a teatoddler, probably just too cheap, even for a flask.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
Without knowing what the details said on the BOGO specifically for Platekill, in most cases it implies in some way thats its for one ticket purchased at full list price and given that Platekill doesn't (and hasn't as I recall) advertised early season or late season pricing on their website in advance or scheduled yearly, that would make any lowering of the price a "sale". Thus the BOGO would not qualify based on the $35 pricing.

Im sure there was a little grey area in there, where certain scenarios were not quite clearly defined. If it had any stipulation in regards to the BOGO not being combined with any other offer or discounted pricing, then I as the holder of the BOGO would have done a minimal level of do-deilgence and contacted the mountain ahead of the time to confirm the information to. And frankly even if it didnt have anything spelled out I would have still contacted them if they they were running a $35 ticket special to confirm the BOGO.

Its a privately owned business and they have the right to refuse so long as they are doing indiscriminately and consistently on the same stipulations.

Disclaimer: I have never been to Platekill, I do not know Lazslo and I am a season pass holder at Belleayre.