classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
125 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NY Taxpayer Ski Free Day?

Ethan Snow
Skiing is expensive, it gets more expensive every year is seems. I am not rich, and I have to be resourceful, and prioritize my expenses to be able to ski as much as I do. Every penny of it is worth it though. I know a lot of people who used to ski, but no longer do because it's just too expensive for them. I actually think that is kind of a pathetic excuse, but some people just have other priorities before earning tons of money, and I respect that.

I think it would be cool if the ORDA resorts offered at least one NY resident ski-free day. Just one of many ways the state could show some appreciation to it's taxpayers. Skiers would simply show a proof of residency (ie. drivers license) to receive a lift ticket.

Not sure how to get any leverage on this however. Any thoughts?
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NY Taxpayer Ski Free Day?

snoloco
Could be a good idea, but would bring in massive crowds on whatever day they did it.  Would probably need to be late season when lots of terrain is open, but few people skiing.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
 Not sure how to get any leverage on this however. Any thoughts?
That's a great idea, Ethan. Leverage ? Contact the Politian's I guess. Beatty Little may be a good start. She rep's the north country but is kinda milque toast.

An alternative to having a specific date free, it could be 1 free day anytime. Spreads out any possible crowds, the expense for the mtn and makes it easier for peeps to get there as their schedule permits.

Great idea tho. The industry is always looking for ways to get new participants. This is one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Ski free on your birthday is the way to do it, your 1/2 birthday for folks born in the summer
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ski free days bring out a few but for the poor people making the pathetic excuse that it's just too expensive you should probably include the costs of rentals, gas and lodging money, and the 15 dollar burgers if you want to see a significant impact.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Well, if you're dealing with NY state residents, lodging is not really an issue, because Gore and Belleayer are pretty centrally located, and anyone can drive there in a couole of hours. (excluding western NY) I think you're over thinking it.  These guys will bring their own lunch and their 30 year old straight skis, and ski in blue jeans and a wool sweater.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
While I like the premise of this, imo it would be another kick in the balls for private ski areas...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Correct, the private Catskill areas would most definitely be opposed to this.

About the food prices, ORDA doesn't do passholder discount like most private areas do.    Probably because Centerplate doesn't allow it, while most private areas run their own food service.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ethan Snow wrote
Well, if you're dealing with NY state residents, lodging is not really an issue, because Gore and Belleayer are pretty centrally located, and anyone can drive there in a couole of hours. (excluding western NY) I think you're over thinking it.  These guys will bring their own lunch and their 30 year old straight skis, and ski in blue jeans and a wool sweater.
Well shoot, I like your thinking! Great counter post and I fully support this message!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
While I like the premise of this, imo it would be another kick in the balls for private ski areas...
And a fantastic counter point.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I want a free golf day at State owned golf courses, too. And free admission to state parks! And I want a pony! I want an oompa loompa now!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Somebody's got the Bah Humbugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I want a free golf day at State owned golf courses, too. And free admission to state parks! And I want a pony! I want an oompa loompa now!
So you wanted to vote for Bernie? :D

My post was actually a snarky comment about people making pathetic excuses why they weren't skiing when in reality the activity has become stupid expensive for most regular working folk.

That being said, I thought Ethan's response was super killer and made a bunch of sense.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
What private ski areas are left other than Plattekill? Personally, I don't really think privately owned, and ski biz mix well.  The big corps have an advantage for sure. But then again Peak isn't doing so well either.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Agree that skiing is too expensive.

Unfortunately, we're stuck in a cycle: To make skiing more accessible, we need more feeder areas. Feeder areas are shutting down because of expenses and global warming. Since feeder areas shut down, the only place for lift serve skiing is the big resorts. Big resorts, with monopoly pricing power, raise prices to make skiing even more expensive.

Not sure what the solution is. Best I can come up with is the hope that the coming energy revolution makes snowmaking, chairlifts, and groomers super cheap to run, global warming slows, and local ski areas are able to bounce back.

If not, RA, maybe you'll be rich enough for those unlimited Heli runs by then.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hunter and Windham are what I was referring to.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
Hunter, Windham, Royal, West, Willard, Maple Ski Ridge, Royal, Jiminy, Berkshire East, Bromley, Mount Snow, Stratton, etc.

Just to name a few around Albany.

EDIT: hmmm, is he just referring to Mountains owned by an individual? That's a weird way to distinguish among mountains...
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Not all of those are in NY.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
snoloco wrote
Not all of those are in NY.
But, presumably they'd be pissed at free state ski days because they'd lose customers.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
Hey guess what boys? I'm skiing some deep pow tomorrow! Merry Christmas! Much love from Arizona!
1234 ... 7