classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
182 messages Options
1 ... 678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ORDA seems to be still making snow?

Benny Profane
As I said, long story. Besides, highly doublful that snow up at Alta was typically light and fluffy. They were borderline, for sure. Watched it as it pored rain as I drove south on 15.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
I know people who had a very good time in LCC/BCC on March 9-10.  There was 6-7 inches of pretty good new snow and relatively few people.  Those at Alta and Solitude were glad they went.  However all PC and Snowbasin got was rain.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
As I said, long story. Besides, highly doublful that snow up at Alta was typically light and fluffy. They were borderline, for sure. Watched it as it pored rain as I drove south on 15.

Probably a good thing with only 6 to 8 and a crusty old base layer.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
I know people who had a very good time in LCC/BCC on March 9-10.  There was 6-7 inches of pretty good new snow and relatively few people.  Those at Alta and Solitude were glad they went.  However all PC and Snowbasin got was rain.
Rain all the way up the mountain or just at the bases? Some of my best days have been rain at the base and creamy pow from midway up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goldsbar
Belleayre still has hoses attached to the snow guns...at least the ones on the webcam.  Not sure when they'll be able to use them.  Maybe for about 5 minutes tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Goldsbar wrote
Belleayre still has hoses attached to the snow guns...at least the ones on the webcam.  Not sure when they'll be able to use them.
Next November...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Next November...
Next January
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
not orda or nybut got an email from blue this afternoon ....

"We'll be ending our season this weekend, but that's not stopping us from firing up the guns ONE LAST TIME! We'll have some fresh powder waiting for you!"

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The apocalypse: manmade snow is now called fresh powder.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
not orda or nybut got an email from blue this afternoon ....

"We'll be ending our season this weekend, but that's not stopping us from firing up the guns ONE LAST TIME! We'll have some fresh powder waiting for you!"

Nice... In my opinion, I think that is a good management call for the pass-holder satisfaction metric.

My experience there was always good... Mid 80's...Back in the days when it was called Little Gap  
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
The apocalypse: manmade snow is now called fresh powder.
Maybe their fan guns have a Champagne setting.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Is this in reference to Belleayre, or Whiteface, or Gore. I sure hope WF isn't making snow, and planning on closing this weekend.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Heard some crazy rumors that WF may make snow so they can get green terrian back for the Brit groups coming in.  These are really low profitability groups so I not sure this would make good business sense.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Coach Z wrote
Heard some crazy rumors that WF may make snow so they can get green terrian back for the Brit groups coming in.  These are really low profitability groups so I not sure this would make good business sense.
That would be just plain crazy.  The mountain is so beyond the point where snowmaking makes any sense at all.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I always wondered about Brit groups that fly to the northeast to ski. Are they tying a couple ski days into a larger visit of NYC, DC, Niagara Falls, etc. (which makes sense) or do they actually fly across the ocean to ski here because Killington or Tremblant gave them an incredible deal? I've spoken to some UKers who've done that and the general response was "the entire ski area was the size of the bunny slope in the Alps, where we usually go." Any idea?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
My guess is that they speak the same language and they just want to come to the US as you mentioned.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I spk with a few and I agree its marketing, marketing, marketing.     Starts with a desire to visit the US and ends with lots of photos of great snow, steep runs and great night life.     Ooops.    Should have went to Vail area or PC.    

I did not ask about $, but I cannot imagine there being more than a $400 US difference, but maybe that is the deal maker.      Rather, one could argue that if they were around for more than 7 days skiing, a season pass would save them money from going out west.     Remember too, they just flew 6 or 7 hours to get here, another 4 or 5 with a layover makes for a long trip.      I made it to HI once,  will likely never go back.  Don't need the 12 hours in a plane with extra time for a layover in CA.   The Carribean is just as nice (in my view), more friendly, cheaper, and I can get there in 4-5 hours.      

Skier ability......this may be the big sell.   While there are many good skiers, many of these invaders are level 5-7.    The East is all they really need.    Think of the average guest (average) there for a day....they might ski 2 hours in the AM and 2 hours in the PM.    I used to take 30-40 people to Europe skiing as a trip leader.    Same deal, about 3-4 hours a day on green and maybe blue slopes, never outside the purview of the base area for fear they would get lost.     It drove me crazy, until I realized....its about the trip, not the skiing, that an excuse to travel and adds to the story over beers with friends.      
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
They come here because of the cost and Olympic town appeal which matters to euros.

Most are level 1-5 skiers.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
The long weekend after Thanksgiving didn't make sense for snowmaking either last Nov because it was so warm on Friday.  But it was just cold enough that the guns were on that Sat morning to make just enough to re-open Mixing Bowl.  I was there with friends and family, including a friend who is a beginner.  We were in Lake Placid to celebrate Thanksgiving with my daughter so skiing was a bonus.  My friend paid for a lift ticket just for a few runs on Mixing Bowl in the afternoon.

Granted that was early season.  But I can understand making snow at any time when you know there are travelers coming who need green trails to have fun sliding on snow.  Even when it's clearly going to only be good for a few days for whatever reason.  Happens all the time in the southeast.  Make snow for a holiday period knowing it's all going to melt because there won't be enough time to build a base of over 20 inches.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
I spk with a few and I agree its marketing, marketing, marketing.     Starts with a desire to visit the US and ends with lots of photos of great snow, steep runs and great night life.     Ooops.    Should have went to Vail area or PC.    

I did not ask about $, but I cannot imagine there being more than a $400 US difference, but maybe that is the deal maker.      Rather, one could argue that if they were around for more than 7 days skiing, a season pass would save them money from going out west.     Remember too, they just flew 6 or 7 hours to get here, another 4 or 5 with a layover makes for a long trip.      I made it to HI once,  will likely never go back.  Don't need the 12 hours in a plane with extra time for a layover in CA.   The Carribean is just as nice (in my view), more friendly, cheaper, and I can get there in 4-5 hours.      

Skier ability......this may be the big sell.   While there are many good skiers, many of these invaders are level 5-7.    The East is all they really need.    Think of the average guest (average) there for a day....they might ski 2 hours in the AM and 2 hours in the PM.    I used to take 30-40 people to Europe skiing as a trip leader.    Same deal, about 3-4 hours a day on green and maybe blue slopes, never outside the purview of the base area for fear they would get lost.     It drove me crazy, until I realized....its about the trip, not the skiing, that an excuse to travel and adds to the story over beers with friends.

I know, major head scratcher. Killington gets a ton late season. Like, just stay on the plane for another four hours to Denver, right? They have to do a connection to get to Vermont, right? They must really dislike French and German people. But then they're subjected to the Vermont dirtbag snowboarder all around them. Even serving them the awful food. I don't get it. I mean, they can take a fast train to Geneva.
funny like a clown
1 ... 678910