classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
182 messages Options
1 ... 5678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ORDA seems to be still making snow?

evantful
Belleayre and Gore are back snowmaking this. Probably going to pound away for another 48hrs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Snowmaking is lit up all over Lake Placid. Whiteface is not the only place where snowmaking is going on, Although they are making the most. There is snowmaking at the Jumping complex, and they seem to be making snow in the parking lot, and on a loop through the woods for XC skiing. I talked to a guy in town, and he said there were division III Collegiate Nationals going on next week, and they wanted to prepare as best they could for them. They are making an XC loop at the jumping complex, for the XC races, because Van Ho is closed. What impressed me most was that there was a golf course that was running a fan gun off of a generator, and seemed to be preparing for a winter fest or something. I'm glad everyone is doing their best to make snow, but unfortunately, it is going to melt next week. has anyone seen the forecast?
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
ORDA is pissing away taxpayer dollars throwing bad money after good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Yeah I've seen the forecast.

If I had any idea Laz was going to blow this week I would have pushed him on it when I had the chance.

I asked the same question of Mike Pratt a few minutes ago... we'll see if he shares.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I didn't think laz was blowing this week?
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
There's a paved roller ski loop at the Intervale ski jumps, that's where they're making snow. Kudos to ORDA for stepping up. Next move... snowmaking at Mt van Hoevenberg?
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
I disagree. A lot of private areas  are also blowing snow late because of the bad season. Some private areas were able to blow more snow earlier when they had the chance because they had more horsepower, so maybe they are OK. But if the ORDA mountains have to close a lot earlier than their competitors, it hurts long term revenue and "profits". The extra snow also makes for a better experience.I saw quite a few daily tickets on jacketes today. How many would head to VT next time if conditions really sucked? We don't know the answer but it could add up over time. Because of the grooming and snowmaking, I think most visitors at gore today went home happy.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
TomCat wrote
ml242 wrote
I disagree. A lot of private areas  are also blowing snow late because of the bad season. Some private areas were able to blow more snow earlier when they had the chance because they had more horsepower, so maybe they are OK. But if the ORDA mountains have to close a lot earlier than their competitors, it hurts long term revenue and "profits". The extra snow also makes for a better experience.I saw quite a few daily tickets on jacketes today. How many would head to VT next time if conditions really sucked? We don't know the answer but it could add up over time. Because of the grooming and snowmaking, I think most visitors at gore today went home happy.

tom

You missed something important there. He said "taxpayer" money. The private areas are not spending our money.

Gore isn't risking it's existence by firing up the guns in March. The NY taxpayer has their back.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
There is snowmaking at Van Ho from the 1980 Olympics. But after the Olympics, they neglected to use it, or maintain it, and it has fallen into disrepair. I highly doubt ORDA will ever bring it back. If they do, the prices will be sure to go up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
While there used to be snow guns at Mount van Ho, they haven't been there for several years. Maybe 10?  If anyone from ORDA is reading this please correct me.  In the last 2 or 3 years, ORDA has done a great job opening the ski loop at the jump complex to the public.  However, an up to date snowmaking rig at Mt van Ho would be a draw both for tourists an for serious athletes.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
Right now it looks like Belleayre's lower mountain will be done this weekend, including the SuperCheif.... if it even makes it that far. I see them closing midweek after this and trying to get one more weekend in with the Triple running.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I'm honestly kind of surprised that anyone bothered to make snow this past week. I guess no one really knew it would be 75 degrees yesterday, and 65 today. I mean, it's only going to buy them maybe an extra week. Who is going to show up to pay it off? Season Passholders? Most full price payers have already given up on skiing, and are playing golf right now. Snow just doesn't hold up when it's Mid-summer, no matter how deep your base.

As much as I would like to ski into April, I would not be the least bit upset if this weekend was the last for Places such as Plattekill. El-nino has already ruined winter, and at some point we must just accept that, and realize that we will probably not see another winter this bad for many years. NY is only a small part of the ski industry, and each geographic location in the world is bound to get screwed once in a while. This year it was our turn.

I'm getting my bike tuned up.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
I'm waxing my shit up for a week in tahoe! 3 more feet just dropped!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Well, I can't agree more with you there! If I wasn't a college student with stupid priorities and a lack of cash, I would be doing the same thing. I'll be doing that someday.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by skunkape
skunkape wrote
I'm waxing my shit up for a week in tahoe! 3 more feet just dropped!
Wheels up at 8:30 tonight.  Crystal had 14 inches in the past 24 hours, more than 4 feet over the past two weeks....with another foot between now and when I leave Saturday if I'm lucky!

They did have a wind gust over 100mph last night and a smattering of rain mixed in late, but things are settling down a bit.  I hope I don't have to get hooked on this 'go find winter' thing, the Skymiles won't last that long!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Ethan Snow wrote
I'm honestly kind of surprised that anyone bothered to make snow this past week. I guess no one really knew it would be 75 degrees yesterday, and 65 today. I mean, it's only going to buy them maybe an extra week. Who is going to show up to pay it off? Season Passholders? Most full price payers have already given up on skiing, and are playing golf right now. Snow just doesn't hold up when it's Mid-summer, no matter how deep your base.
Ontario spring break coming up
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
 I hope I don't have to get hooked on this 'go find winter' thing,
Go for it. The rest of us are now getting our fix from James. It's deluxe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Just saying here, before you hit Expedia, it really hasn't snowed much here in Summit, Co., for, like six weeks, at least. But, hell, relatively speaking, base is good.

Long story, but, last Saturday I drove from Summit to Park City, woke up to rain on Sunday morning, and drove right back that day. Fun weekend. So, like, don't expect a powder paradise. Unless, of course, it starts to hammer when you land.  Could happen, you never know.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I thought it was snowing in Utah this week. I guess rain at PC is snow in LCC? If so why didn't you head up Benny?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Before I booked my current excursion to the Cascades I did check snow reports and forecasts for most western locales, see if any interesting options presented themselves.  Agreed, slim pickings for new snow out there.......but Crystal has been getting pounded.  Pushing 5 feet now over the past two weeks.  Tahoe looks like it's getting some love as well.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
1 ... 5678910