Plattekill Conditions (2013-2014)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
102 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

takeahike46er
Great day on the hill. Snowed most of the day accumulating to at least 4" with very few people. I had fresh tracks up until my last run. I'll post a trip report soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Borgy
This post was updated on .
I wasn't sure what to expect at Platty today after yesterday's r**n. Fortunately the hill didn't go into a deep freeze overnight so the conditions were surprisingly good today right from the first bell just before 9:00.

From the chair Upper Face looked to be in great shape, all groomed out cord except for a swath of bumps along skiers right. On the hill, the cord was a bit firm and chunky, but easy to carve into. Upon closer inspection of the bumps I decided to give them some time to soften up.

After two runs on Face, I decided to hit the Northface Quad. From the chair Plunge looked about the same as Upper Face, groomed out cord with bumps along skiers left. Very nice run down the groomed track. From there I hit the other steeps off that chair, Northface and Freefall. Pretty much the same. Great skiing all around.

The ungroomed trails, such as Pipeline, definitely needed time to soften. But with the bright sun and warm temps, it didn't have to wait long. And by lunchtime, all the bumps were nice and soft too.

With the temps staying on the warm side tonight, I'll bet the hill will be awesome tomorrow as the groomers will have another pass to break up what little chunks remain after today's skiing.

Oh, and did I mention it was ski right onto the lifts all day? I think the longest line I encountered was three deep.

A great day at Platty. Never disappoints.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski

Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
when/where were those pix taken?
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Powderqueen wrote
when/where were those pix taken?
It was a spectacular President's Day week at Plattekill.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Love this awesome crappy phone pic!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Gotta hand it to the grooming team for making it well worth the trip. The groomed sides of trails were a nice east coast corduroy ,while the ungroomed was bumped with a nice soft coating of powder. It's hard,but very skiable. The woods I think we're a little dicey with the hard pack under just an inch or two of snow. We still found a few hidden places of the deep stuff well off the beaten paths.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

cf15130
Long time Catskill skier here.  Considering going to Plattekill for the first time ever this weekend, wanted to get an accurate local opinion since I am going to be bringing a group of friends up this weekend.  Personally looking to mix it up in the trees + moguls, was very disappointed with Windham's "Glade" and looking for some challenging terrain.  We are trying to avoid the recent ridiculous lift lines at the larger mountains (Hunter/Windham) but I don't want to disappoint the group on an adventure for skied off terrain on less vertical.  Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
2013/2014 Season:
Windham 11/30, 12/14, 1/24, 1/30, 2/1
Hunter 1/4
Killington 1/18, 1/19
Big White B.C 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14, 2/15
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Anyone going tomorrow (Friday) for the $15 lift tickets? They are offering $15 tix to the first 50 peeps. I am thinking of heading down. I don't think I'll make it in time for the $15 ticket but I do have a bogo if anyone wants to share ($19 per person).
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
In response to future first timer:
In my humble opinion ,the woods anywhere in the cats this weekend will be dicey. It hasn't snowed in what 2 weeks?
Plattekill probulary has the most uncharted tree skiing around. I've learned where to go by just following (not stalking ) the locals and I lot of experiments ,some fun some not so much. Just go have fun and enjoy the vibe. As for moguls,look for a local named Steve ( he wears carhardtts) he's got crazy skills on long straight skis in the bumps all day.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Powderdaize Thursday? Stay tuned.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
I can probulary free myself from work on Thursday. Besides e-mail from mountain is there another way to find out about a powderdaize? Is there a typical time that word gets out?
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thehof wrote
I can probulary free myself from work on Thursday. Besides e-mail from mountain is there another way to find out about a powderdaize? Is there a typical time that word gets out?
Laszlo will make the call sometime on Wednesday.

Speculation: if they've got 4-6" down and the radar looks good he'll go for it.

I will stay in touch with him and post in this thread as soon as I know.

Take the day off. You can always show up at work if it's a bust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I guess Laz saw this thread. Txt:

"We have alerted our plow, lift and food staff for Thursday."

(I thought Laz WAS the plow staff!)
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Been making a trek to Platty annually and today was this year's day. Knowing that the temps plummeted overnight made the late start after a late night not such a bad thing.  Talked to someone in the lodge as we were readying to start that told me yesterday was fun, spring-corn conditions. Even at 10:30 as we started, though, it was more like frozen hominy. Did a couple runs with my 9 yr old snowbarding son on the triple-chair side, took a short break, then spent the rest of the day on the double side. Groomed trails all skied very well, softening up oh-so-slightly as the sun worked on them as the day went on. The inch or two of cold new snow on the bumps on Freefall  and the left side of Plunge only made those trails manageable later in the afternoon.

Plattekill stands alone as the friendliest, most welcoming ski area I've been to. From the guy directing cars in the parking lot to the woman at the ticket window to the guy plating home-made lunches at the counter upstairs by the bar, it's like a big, happy family. I hope change is slow to make it's way up the road to this gem in the Catskills.
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks very much for this report Doc.

You can't fake that smile in the parking lot.  The is no local distain for flatlanders at that hill. None.

DrSkimeister wrote
I hope change is slow to make it's way up the road to this gem in the Catskills.
I understand this feeling completely including the implied notion that it's probably impossible.  The big three (H,B,W) have changed or are changing. (Of course Bell has the safety net).  The small 9, are all gone except for Plattekill.

You should have seen Laszlo's eyes light up when he visited Jay Peak a few years ago. Quite honestly it scared the hell outta me.  You don't get to be the one remaining of the small nine without pushing relentlessly forward.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Harvey wrote
There is no local distain for flatlanders at that hill. None.

There's none at any of the Catskills joints, but no question that Plattekill goes above and beyond in the friendliness department.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
There is no place in the world like Platty.  It has the best vibe of all ski areas around plus it has the terrain to keep you entertained.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
When ever i'am cheating on Platty,I proudly say Plattekill is my home mountain. It's a special place. Everyone I bring comes back and can't stop asking about when's next time. Wait a minute ,what do the conditions look like for next weekend?
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thehof wrote
...cheating on Platty...
LOL I get this.

Laz will txt me sometimes if I'm not there and say ..."you at Gore?"

And I'm like... well er um uh...