Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Marcski
I'm stoked to ski Platty this Saturday. Between yesterday's snow, Tuesday's clipper system and some possible lake effect this week, mother nature plus snowmaking should equal some nice conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Marcski wrote
I'm stoked to ski Platty this Saturday. Between yesterday's snow, Tuesday's clipper system and some possible lake effect this week, mother nature plus snowmaking should equal some nice conditions.
I'm thinking I'll be there, too.

Platty is good for the soul.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hard to tell with the snowmaking but looks like it has been snowing on and off at Plattekill today.  Any reports?

Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
I’ll be there. Bringing rock skis to explore a little . Last year opening was excellent AACEB0B2-0489-4ED3-8E3C-6577E4D6D254.jpeg
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
How was it? What was skied?  Freefall? Ridge?
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
I did some exploring opening day. Fat rock skis and speed allowed for some fun turns. Lazlo has been making a bunch of snow. A little thaw freeze should make a little base for the next storm
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Thanks for pics and report. Supposed to be a little rain/freezing rain next weekend which could firm up base. Can't wait to ski the newly cleared and cleaned terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
I missed the glade clearing for the first time in quite a few years because of #%€? work. Can you drop a hint to where you cleared this year? Maybe compare to any of the days in the last couple years. Or just flat out spill the beans.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
You gotta showup bro, it's the code!  We'll show you when we see you on the hill.

Hell I'll show you if they show me!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Looks like a wild night.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Great day. It’s weird to think today might be my only Plattekill day of the year- downside of the max-pass strategy

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
Work has been slow this month, so I guess you could say I have a little too much time on my hands.

I actually think this has potential to "preserve" the historical value of Plattekill. Things are getting a little tight with the new Magic Carpet, and ski instructors teaching lessons in the very confined base area. It takes away from the convenience of Plattekill being a "skiers mountain"

This plan would add an additional lodge, and parking area about the size of the current one, but the ski school, and rentals would operate out of the lower lodge, leaving the current lodge with plenty of space for seasond skiers. And plenty of place to park. (no more parking a half mile down the road) The magic carpet would be re-located over there, and the runout on Freefall would return to normal. The main lift would be a High Speed Quad, and is 8/10 of a mile long. I would also utilize the Tanglwood double as a beginner lift that serves the lower 1/3 of the terrain and will operate at about 350 Ft/min.  

Overlook is currently a Green, but it's got some steep spots in it, and I don't want to have a green trail connecting the two mountains.  I don't want novice skiers to think it's easy to ski over there, so I've changed it to blue.

Acquiring the Land, and funds for this project would not be totally out of the picture. Part of it is a farm that has potential for sale, and the rest is state land.  With the recent (and likely future) funding at Belleayre, it's likely that funds may be available for Belleayre's biggest competitor.

This would also increase Plattekill's vertical to 1250'

What are your thoughts?

Disclaimer: This diagram is nothing more than my imagination, and does not mean to suggest that Plattekill's current operation is inferior.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I like it!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Clearly stirring the pot- I like it! First though, no detaches! That just drives up prices. Second, why can't we buy the farm on the other side of the road, directly below the parking? Then we can extend the vert without spreading out down valley. Just build the new lodge down there, move parking, the road and the maintenance buildings out of the way. Then move the carpet and the tubing to the other side of the new lodge, extend all the trails downward, put a double from there up to about where the top of the carpet is now, trash the triple and put a fixed grip quad from the new base up to where the triple lets off now. The old lodge stays where it is but the rental and sales area on the lower level (and maybe the empty house in the woods also) is converted into a low-cost  ski-in-ski-out hostel
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Do both!  I like Ethan’s idea because it opens up a lot of woods off overlook down to the road, allowing you to ski down to the new lift area....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
, why can't we buy the farm on the other side of the road, directly below the parking? Then we can extend the vert without spreading out down valley. Just build the new lodge down there, move parking, the road and the maintenance buildings out of the way. Then move the carpet and the tubing to the other side of the new lodge, extend all the trails downward, put a double from there up to about where the top of the carpet is now,

I've thought about that too, but if you extend the trails downward you are going to have to build a skier bridge to get over the road and down to the new lodge. Unless you don't want to be able to park in the old parking lots or use the old lodge anymore. Do you really want it to look like Belleayre? Also it's pretty steep down through there, and like you said the shop, compressor building, snowmaking pond and pump house are in the way as well as the lower parking lot. That's a lot up move around. My goal was to keep all of that exactly like it is, and add another pod elsewhere. I don't think moving down valley would be all that bad. Yes it would require a lot longer lift, but it would also add some great trails and long uninterrupted glades with favorable exposure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Also, I don't want to move the tubing. I want the tubing hill to be close to the bar so that parents can hang out at the bar while their kids stay occupied - tubing. The current bar set up is pretty good. People dig it. I wouldn't add another bar  at the new lodge unless there was a high demand for it.

If It came to that, I would try to make it a year round restaurant that catered to locals during the summer as well as summer tourists alike.
1234 ... 13