classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Proposal - Continuous TR/Conditions Thread

tBatt
This post was updated on .
I was thinking to clean up the clutter a bit, especially once the season really gets going and more people are joining, that we should get a thread with continuous condition updates and TR's. I was thinking one for Gore, one for Whiteface, one for the Catskills, One for the CNY area - Greek Peak/Lab/Tog/Song/Brisol, and maybe one for Western NY (Kissing Bridge/Holiday Valley/Peek n' Peak/Cockaigne).

I think Harv's Today thread was an attempt at that, but it didn't go too far.

A similar setup is done over on TGR and it works out well.

Whaddayathink?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Proposal - Continuous TR/Conditions Thread

Harvey
Administrator
fujative wrote
I was thinking to clean up the clutter a bit, especially once the season really gets going and more people are joining, that we should get a thread with  continuous condition updates and TR's. I was thinking one for Gore, one for Whiteface, one for the Catskills, One for the CNY area - Greek Peak/Lab/Tog/Song/Brisol, and maybe one for Western NY (Kissing Bridge/Holiday Valley/Peek n' Peak/Cockaigne).

I think Harv's Today thread was an attempt at that, but it didn't go too far.

Whaddayathink?
The "Today" Thread was actually a take off on a thread that Snowballs started on SkiAdk.  I think it may have been called "Today's Report." Not sure if he intended it to be so, but it took off with people posting in it each day.  Because that was a Gore forum it was all Gore beta.

Maybe it should be "Today at Hunter" etc. I don't really want to lump mountains together as in "Catskills." The difference between conditions at Plattekill and Hunter is probably as dramatic as the difference between Whiteface and Gore.

I don't want to discourage individual TRs. Those are the best and they are the lifeblood of a ski forum. But I do like the idea of allowing people who don't feel like posting a full TR to have the option of doing what Xman did in the Hunter Thread. "Here's one pic from Hunter and my 2 cents on the day."

The more info we share, the more valuable the forum.

I will probably start subforum for TRs. It's not super-original in design, but it is useful.  Whether or not "Today at XYZ mountain"  threads should be in the TR forum... I'm not sure.

Thanks for posting this Fuje. Other ideas welcome.

Probably won't do anything until the weekend at the earliest.

BTW Fuje ... you are our man in Western NY. How about a TR from KB/HV or Cockaigne?

Also who will be the first to post from the Tug?  Maybe we need some incentives?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I left my skis back home when I went for turkey day. We hadn't gotten any snow up to that point, what are the chances of getting any in two weeks before I went back for winter break?  Of course it hasn't really stopped snowing here in a week.

By Catskills, I meant throw whichever mountain you're talking about in the subject line, not the region as a whole.

Nothing opens up until this weekend out here, and I'm headed back home to ski some real mountains. Like I said, the sticks are back home.

I've been thinking about a Tug trip this year. It's actually closer to my house than it is from Buffalo. I've been talking to a friend about doing some snowmobile trips over winter break. Doing one out there would be pretty fun with some skis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by tBatt
fujative wrote
Continuous TR/Conditions Thread
Whaddayathink?
I think it's a great idea. Have a WF thread, Gore, Hunter, etc. and have people how have skied there throw in a pic or 2 and their 2 cents. Doing a routine TR doesn't seem "Blog worthy", to me anymore. However, a quick hit in an ongoing area thread is just the thing people would be interested in and give an opportunity to have questions asked and answered.

You have inspired me to start a Whiteface thread.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I did start it so people could get a daily report independent of and more in depth than what the mtn may say. It's a good idea to have daily reports here. People can watch them in between their visits and get a better idea of where they want to go on their next trip. Not everybody lives close to a hill. In my mind, people who drive long distances deserve to have lots of info to base their choices on.

Power to the Peeples! lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
70s Gore Kid wrote
I get a kick out of reading them, they're almost as fun as reading posts by Snowballs here.
Yea, He cracks me up too. That guy is funny.

Snowballs are popular. Everybody has had fun with Snowballs.

Thanks Kid!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I think it's a great idea. Have a WF thread, Gore, Hunter, etc. and have people how have skied there throw in a pic or 2 and their 2 cents. Doing a routine TR doesn't seem "Blog worthy", to me anymore. However, a quick hit in an ongoing area thread is just the thing people would be interested in and give an opportunity to have questions asked and answered.
 Exactly what I was going for. Not even pictures necessarily, just some beta on how the snow is (although pictures would be nice). I'm sure there are a fair amount of people out there who are willing to post a few words about the conditions rather than making an entire TR thread or blog post.

70s Gore Kid wrote
Just be prepared to cry when you see how much natural they've received this week.
Condor went up yesterday, got a text from him saying: run 1 = blower waist deep pow, run 2 = blower waist deep bumps, run 3 = blower east coast ice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The braintrust is working on this.  If I can't ski this weekend, then I will make progress.

IMO the individual mountain  threads should be called "Whiteface Today" or maybe "Whiteface Conditions" to keep it somewhat on topic ... conditions and mini-TRs.  But that is just what I think, and I'm not sure I'm going to manage it that tightly.  Aside from the lack of organization in here (my problem), so far the forum seems to be running pretty well with the limited attention I can give it (family, job, blog, skiing! is a lot to manage.)

I have to say I really appreciate the how responsible everyone has been. REALLY.

RIght now I am thinking, trying TRs, Weather, Gear and OT.  I'm hesitant to separate out the TRs because they are so important to the forum as a whole. Maybe if I can snag some Catskill pow this weekend, I'll have a divine inspiration.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp