BTW, Phil would shoot and eat that silly morning dove of yours
Who the hell is Phil?
U can't B serious
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R.I.P. Greek Peak

warp daddy
Yeah and fer sure Uncle SI would if Phil didn,t.   :)
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
warp daddy wrote
Yeah and fer sure Uncle SI would if Phil didn,t.   :)
Maybe Scotty can figure it out now...me thinks the tissue they put in his knee came out of his melon
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I heard GP secured their loan, can't find any confirmation. Has anyone heard anything?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I'm new to this forum, but have a vested interest in GP surviving, so thought I'd join the discussions.

I think there are a number of factors that led to where the company is today.  First of all, GP used to be an industry leader 30 or so years ago, but as was previously mentioned, rested on their laurels for decades.  The lack of infrastructure investment led to the scrap heap of a ski area they have today.

I truly believe GP is one of the best skiable mountains in the state, but management is lacking, as is marketing.  People need to be attracted to the Lodge during all seasons.  If you take a look at most successful ski resorts, the owners began with a descent mountain, developed and sold real estate, reinvested in the mountain, and so on.  Stratton is probably the best example of this in the east.  What Stratton, Sugarbush, Beaver Creek, etc. also have are summer attractions, such as Mountain Biking and golf courses.  The adventure center was a complete waste of money, as families are not going to book trips to GP for the adventure center. Such an attraction is nothing more than icing on the cake. Money would had better been spent on a golf course, that would attract destination travelers and groups.  Let's face it, GP is NOT in the finger lakes, and there is nothing in Virgil.

Although a high speed chairlift is not needed due to the current lack of crowds, a new fixed quad chair and the development of GP East would garner media attention.  They also need to invest in an efficient snowmaking system, as so much money is being wated on energy.

This brings me to the lack of marketing at GP.  What do they do to promote the area?  The reality is that they need someone who can market the resort, including establishing realistic price points.  Who is spending $300 a night at the lodge this time of the year?  Nobody, which is why the parking lot is vacant, and which is why on most evenings, we are the only ones eating in the acorn grill.  They should be offering $99 a night hotel rates that include waterpark access during off season, just as the Hyatt Beaver Creek does, the Marriott Breckenridge does, and so on.  In addition, the albatross that is the Adventure Center should be offering all day rates of half of what they are charging. Locals can not afford what is currently being charged, and I do not see vet many out of state license plates in the parking lots.  The inexpensive ski season passes they have been offering the last several years are a great idea, as it encourages further spending, but other than that, management seems to have no reality of what they are doing.

I really do not want to see a bankruptcy filing of any sorts, as I believe the FDIC and Schumer spectacle this week was bad enough to damage season pass sales, advanced Lodge bookings, and conference center bookings.  What I would like to see is the owners be forced into a new financial partner that can bring some business sense to the resort.  Quite honestly, which Kryger actually knows how to run a 4-diamond hotel?

Reply | Threaded
|

parris
In reply to this post by Cornhead
I believe that you're right with the terrain and such for GP locally and that I was letting my frustration with how things seem to run at the area in general speak before I'd thought things through better.  There appears to be a lot of untapped terrain at the area that could be really fun which could spread people out and make them want to visit there repeatedly.  

If they got the loan that's great!  I wonder if any schools will head to other areas given the difficulties of the last season.

For people who've skied GP for years when was the area under lift 2 closed off?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
On the same token, what was the name of the trail to the left of Ronnie's Run if you are facing up the mountain?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
I'm new to this forum, but have a vested interest in GP surviving, so thought I'd join the discussions.

I think there are a number of factors that led to where the company is today.  First of all, GP used to be an industry leader 30 or so years ago, but as was previously mentioned, rested on their laurels for decades.  The lack of infrastructure investment led to the scrap heap of a ski area they have today.

I truly believe GP is one of the best skiable mountains in the state, but management is lacking, as is marketing.  People need to be attracted to the Lodge during all seasons.  If you take a look at most successful ski resorts, the owners began with a descent mountain, developed and sold real estate, reinvested in the mountain, and so on.  Stratton is probably the best example of this in the east.  What Stratton, Sugarbush, Beaver Creek, etc. also have are summer attractions, such as Mountain Biking and golf courses.  The adventure center was a complete waste of money, as families are not going to book trips to GP for the adventure center. Such an attraction is nothing more than icing on the cake. Money would had better been spent on a golf course, that would attract destination travelers and groups.  Let's face it, GP is NOT in the finger lakes, and there is nothing in Virgil.
Although a high speed chairlift is not needed due to the current lack of crowds, a new fixed quad chair and the development of GP East would garner media attention.  They also need to invest in an efficient snowmaking system, as so much money is being wated on energy.

This brings me to the lack of marketing at GP.  What do they do to promote the area?  The reality is that they need someone who can market the resort, including establishing realistic price points.  Who is spending $300 a night at the lodge this time of the year?  Nobody, which is why the parking lot is vacant, and which is why on most evenings, we are the only ones eating in the acorn grill.  They should be offering $99 a night hotel rates that include waterpark access during off season, just as the Hyatt Beaver Creek does, the Marriott Breckenridge does, and so on.  In addition, the albatross that is the Adventure Center should be offering all day rates of half of what they are charging. Locals can not afford what is currently being charged, and I do not see vet many out of state license plates in the parking lots.  The inexpensive ski season passes they have been offering the last several years are a great idea, as it encourages further spending, but other than that, management seems to have no reality of what they are doing.

I really do not want to see a bankruptcy filing of any sorts, as I believe the FDIC and Schumer spectacle this week was bad enough to damage season pass sales, advanced Lodge bookings, and conference center bookings.  What I would like to see is the owners be forced into a new financial partner that can bring some business sense to the resort.  Quite honestly, which Kryger actually knows how to run a 4-diamond hotel?
Welcome to the forum....your post is spot on. HOWEVER, we DO have the Virgil Market

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
under chair 2 (atlas) close 20ish years ago???

Skiers right of Ronnies is Pollux
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
HOWEVER, we DO have the Virgil Market
dude that cider press/pie place (Hollenbachs?) is MAD good and a destination in itself! eff GP, i'll make the trip up for cider, pies and pickles

oh yea, and doesn't tebow and 1/2 of rex ryan arrive next week?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
campgottagopee wrote
dude that cider press/pie place (Hollenbachs?) is MAD good and a destination in itself! eff GP, i'll make the trip up for cider, pies and pickles

Shhhhhh, now everyone will want to come to Virgil ...that place is goodness, amazing how apple pie and beer go soooooo god together.

Yup, (1/2 of rex...ha) the Jets are comming to town, let Tebowmania begin

You see GP's package deal they're promoting on FB for it???? i thought it was a good deal.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
don't foget the cheese....that smoked xxx sharp cheddar is killa

now i'm hungry
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
You guys are too much!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
wait until the azzclowns get going once the snow starts....pure entertainment

Rj, U live near GP???
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
campgottagopee wrote

Maybe Tebow and the Jets will visit the water park and adventure center, that ought to cure everything. I'm a Jets fan, I think the Tebow acquisition is a joke, sure to be entertaining however. To quote Bart Scott, "Can't wait!".

Hey Camp, what's the scoop? Someone told me GP found someone to float their loan. Is it true?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Haven't heard that but I'll keep my nose to the ground.

I've been told they have several banks willing to give them half of what they need.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Speaking of the cider mill, I happened through the area today and noticed that all of their signs, including those attached to the building are gone.  Bruce didn't decide to retire and close the cider mill, did he?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Highly doubt that..prolly getting them spruced up for this fall...Bruce used to be my bus driver 100 years ago...good guy
Reply | Threaded
|

gimme789
This is REALLY bumming me out.  I have skiied at GP since the early 70s.  Its always been a great place to ski.  IMO the best beginner area on the East Coast.  When the snow belt kicks in, some great powder days too.   Yes the lifts are slow, but the Seasons Pass is such a great deal, it doesnt matter to me.   I will admit, if I paid full price for a ticket there, I'd probably complain about the slow lifts though.      That hotel/waterpark/adventure center had me worried right from the get-go. I just don't see GP as a 4 season destination.  Has anyone heard anything?  Praying for positive news on this.
1234567 ... 10