classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
201 messages Options
1 ... 567891011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reports from The Land Of NAZ, 18/19

2000yearoldskier
Long time JHAF died 2003 . Super guy  met him in Vt. the day the dean of UVM told him was no longer welcome in 1980.He had 600 bucks and a beater car when he asked Vt Pete and I where he should go to a western ski bum.All we could say was JACKSON HOLE. Well he did and drove a gravel truck from May thru November and skied every day .Quiet, smart, and a real charger he was patched up in a couple of seasons. Back in those days they tortured dr. no daily. Sadly he was killed in an avalanche 2003. Somewhere in the hobacks there is nice tribute Haas Bench with grill and seating.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Sorry about your buddy 2k. It sounds like he lived a pretty good life though.

I forgot all about Dr. No. he was the guy that had a serious hard on to bust Coombs and eventually had him booted if I remember correctly.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Yo Zona --- you ever compete in the King and Queens thingE at Jackson?? Or wasn't that even a thing during your time there.

Just curious.
The Corbets comp? Oh gosh no. Last year was the first and I left 18 years ago! I wouldn’t want any part of that today to be completely honest. I don’t look for big air these days, my body tells me no go on that stuff. I did have days doing top to bottom tram laps chasing after Sick Rick and Micah that started with Corbets. They would call out the run like .....Corbets to Expert Chutes to Paint Brush to Dicks Ditch to whatever and I’d chase after em all day. I was young. 23 I think.
Gotcha. Like I said I wasn't sure if that thing was even around during you hay days at JH.

Check out Skier Cole on Instagram --- he just won 10K in some contest. He's a nephew of one of our crew. Both his dad and uncle were on the US ski team so it's in his genes.

The kid is rad. I smh at the shit he's doing.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Here we go. Hammer time.

Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
Keep it coming Arizona!  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The Pineapple Express is here!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
that sucks
what are the snow levels
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It does not suck. Snow levels will probably bounce between 8k to 9k for the next 24 then it finishes cold. Perfect storm really. Rain in town keeps the kids in school and people at work. Right now the extended forecast is calling for unsettled weather for at least a week. I love winter rain at 7k :D Colorado can keep their fluff, we’ll take the cream!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
ok...

Kind of stupid of me to say that sitting 2k miles away..

guess when it's all said and done you will primo skiing and some primo dirt on the trails..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
From a skiing perspective I like ‘atmospheric river’ better than ‘pineapple express’, just because of the perception that a ‘pineapple express’ brings warmer air, which it often does.

Either way, enjoy!!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
And warmer air holds more moisture. The snow level is currently at 10k, 500 feet up the Agassiz chair but it should drop later today. Maybe it’s not ideal but the snow will be some serious base builder.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
From a skiing perspective I like ‘atmospheric river’ better than ‘pineapple express’
Atmospheric River.  Sounds like a good name for a trail.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
D.B. Cooper wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
From a skiing perspective I like ‘atmospheric river’ better than ‘pineapple express’
Atmospheric River.  Sounds like a good name for a trail.
I like it!

You guys were right on with this one. The mountain got nailed with rain and ice but it ended with dropping 9 inches of snow. It skied good today. It was a weird snow though, kind of like a cold slush with cream. The forecast called for up to 26 inches but it was just too warm.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Yesterday we were treated to a wind buffed wonderland. I love the buff more than the fluff, it’s just so fast!

Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Noice. I assume that northern NM is in similar shape?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I’m not sure if these systems are hitting them like they are for us but I think it’s been a good year for NM.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
It’s all time right now. We just got another 18 in 24 and this morning was DEEP. Another larger system is en-route for Thursday forecasted to deliver multiple feets. Pack your snorkel SHD! I think I’m postponing my thing in Page so I should be here to give you the tour. I need some contact info SHD so we can connect.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
We found adventurous and sporty conditions out in the backcountry yesterday but we managed to find some deep powder anyways. Had a damn good scare with a quick slide for life right at the top of a steep and exposed chute. I thought I might be done for for second there. Luckily the blue ice trap didn’t last for too long. Going head first on your back down ice in a steep chute is not very cool.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
just wow!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
 Had a damn good scare with a quick slide for life right at the top of a steep and exposed chute. I thought I might be done for for second there.
One of the Top 5 ways I don't want to cash in my ticket, along with upside-down in a tree well.
1 ... 567891011