Road Trip 2019

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
98 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Road Trip 2019

Brownski
We will not be needing any hot dogs at the game tonight. Holy crap.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Brownski wrote
Obstructed view is part of the Wrigley charm I guess. What do you expect from a place built in 1914?
While the wife didn’t appreciate the sore neck she got from her Fenway experience this past spring (body and legs facing one direction, crane the neck in another to actually see the field), it was, as she said (and the kids keep making fun of her for), a slice of Americana.  Good times.

I appreciate the trip log and the effort Brownski....but better you than me!  In the 36 hours from late Friday to Monday we logged about 17 hours of driving.  Gawd it sucked, but we had fun in Quebec City and a nice overnight in Placid whilst the eldest son had a successful orientation at Plattsburgh.  I don’t know how we ever survived the drive to Florida back when we used to do it....
Thanks and congrats to your son. He should check out Ausable Point, nice beach. As far as the driving, I’ve got junior helping out a bit and, after that first day, we’re trying not to do more then 10 hours straight. Once we’re in Texas, it’ll be 2 days per stop mostly and more like 3-5 hours between cities so that’ll be easier. NY to Fl is brutal.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
On the hot dog front....we love doing Chicago style hots at home, banana peppers, celery salt, and all.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
These seats were $19 apiece
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
I love old buildings that are still in use, even with all their limitations.  I hope they keep Wrigley going for a long time.

Brownski wrote
This is a cool shot.  Always interesting to see who is at a day game.

Broski... what are the boys saying?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah I agree Harv, though that was a night game- started at 7- so I guess I took the pic before the sun went down. Wriggle was really cool. KC was a 70s era stadium that got updated after 2000 some time. It was nice but a different style, kind of like a bigger version of a good minor league park with a mini golf course and a merry go round back behind the outfield.
The boys are having fun. They’re not thrilled with the driving times.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Pics

Before that it was a road day; western Illinois, Iowa and Missouri

We did get off the interstate for a while. It wasn’t all that different, just closer to the farms. Then I stopped to fill up and piss and this guy comes over “are you from New York?” Turns out he’s from near Elmira. That always happens. I remember checking into a cheap hotel in Fairbanks in the mid 90s and the guy behind the counter turned out to be from Latham. We’re everywhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
If I gave anyone the impression that Iowa and Indiana and Missouri were flat I take that back. Kansas is flatter than anything else on earth.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Another visit to Waffle House this morning and now another new discovery
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Road pics

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I see you are eating nothing but natural and healthy foods
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Brownski, do you come across any nuclear missile silos?  It hit me in the face driving through Montana (or N.D.) when I saw chain link/razor wire fence protecting a small hump with a steel door at ground level.  No buildings, no cars.  Freaky.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Junior
Just entered Texas, does anyone know what a fried pie is?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Because we diverted from St. Louis to KC yesterday, Six Flags’ tiny little Frontier City was now directly in our path to Texas. We had left it off our plan originally but decided to give it an hour since we were driving right by. Without the stop we would have reached Arlington at 4 and we had a 7 pm Rangers game to go to so it seemed safe.

They had an actual “gun fighters stunt show” with actual six shooters firing blanks and everything. They used to do these at the Lake George park back when it was called Story-town. It sucked of course but the anachronistic nature of it in today’s environment pleased me. Oklahoma’s a little different I guess.

We only rode two roller coasters. They were little but credible. My younger son almost recycled his Waffle House on the old loop coaster.

It was a fun break. We were back on the road in under an hour. However we did not make first pitch at the Rangers. More to come
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Anyone remember the train robbers at frontier town? Scared the shit out of me as a kid!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
8th inning 18-4... my kids want to stick it out to “see a position player pitch”. Theres’s six year old a couple rows back chanting “let’s go rangers let’s go!”. Meanwhile these holy rollers do last call in the sixth inning...
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
So the catcher is pitching. He just threw a 51 mph slider
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
fun game to watch..
geeze now ya have to drive back from TX...set the car on fire and catch a flight..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
So after Frontier City yesterday, I took over driving again for the Oklahoma City to Arlington leg. Everything was going great until just shy of the border, Apple maps says “there is a delay ahead. You’re still on the fastest route”. Yeah, ok, so  a minute later we hit the slow traffic. Slower, slower, stop. It comes to a dead stop and doesn’t start moving again. Eventually I get out of the car to see what I can see. The road is so straight and flat that I can actually see what looks like a vehicle fire about two miles ahead. So we sit and sit, didn’t move for over an hour. Fire trucks, cops and an ambulance go by on the shoulder from time to time. No other movement. At that point I really wanted my hour back from our Frontier City stop. Once we start moving it takes forever to get going again. There was tons of burned grass around the burned pickup. Must have been like wack a mole for the fire crews to get it all out.

So once everybody finally got past the fire, it was like the Indy 500. People just floored it to try to make up time I guess. Before you know it we cross the Red River and we’re in Texas finally. First thing we see is a restaurant that’s advertising burgers and pies. Seemed like a weird combination but then I noticed at the bottom of the sign it also said “fried pies”. What the hell is that? Before I could figure that out, I see more flashing lights up ahead. There’s a state trooper blocking one of the highway entrance ramps on the right,. Then I notice more cops blocking entrances on the other side and another one on the median, all with lights flashing. My side is still moving but the north bound is getting backed up. Then I see why. Going north on the dirt accessroad on the far side of the highway is a pickup truck with no rubber left on his wheels. He’s going about 20 mph or so on his rims with four police cars following along with their lights on. My son started shooting video but of course we were past and on our way in an instant. Here is the truck though.

Welcome to Texas- Wild West style. Then we got stuck in rush hour around Dallas so we missed first pitch at the Rangers. The Dbacks had 5 runs in before we were even in our seats.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Happy to say that the dude surrendered.
https://www.kxii.com/content/news/Chase-ends-in-standoff-near-Gainesville-512874311.html