classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
98 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Road Trip 2019

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Looks like it’s just me and the boys this year for a final roller coaster-centered road trip. We’ll probably be mainly hitting six flags parks, might make it as far as far as Texas, haven’t really thought it through yet, but mainly the eastern half of the USA. What is can’t miss for a 16 yr old and a 12 yr old boy and an immature 48 yr old?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where should I go on my road trip this year?

Sick Bird Rider
On your way to/from Texas, have lunch in New Orleans. Great seafood, weirdness, mind expanding for all.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Looks like it’s just me and the boys this year for a final roller coaster-centered road trip. We’ll probably be mainly hitting six flags parks, might make it as far as far as Texas, haven’t really thought it through yet, but mainly the eastern half of the USA. What is can’t miss for a 16 yr old and a 12 yr old boy and an immature 48 yr old?
Not roller coasters, but here are a couple potential adventures in the southeast.  I did the Gorge Zip Line in NC with my daughter when she was a tween.  It's just south of Asheville.  The best zip line we've done so far.  A lot of the area covered is old growth forest.  The Via Ferrata in WV is on my bucket list for the "green season."

https://thegorgezipline.com

https://www.nrocks.com - WV Via Ferrata, rock climbing, caving

The Mile High Swinging Bridge near the summit of Grandfather Mountain is relatively unique.  People don't expect to get to over a mile high in the south.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Zip line sounds fun. New Orleans is intriguing but it might be tough. I feel like it deserves its own trip. I’ll have to look at that
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
NOLA ain't for kiddies...
I just drove from New Orleans to Nashville to Rockland County..Lots of pretty country  out there..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That sounds like a cool drive Jason. Nashville’s a possibility- a little more on the way between parks the NOLA as well. I guess I’ll have to check that out
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i forgot to mention..in 21hrs...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Brownski wrote
That sounds like a cool drive Jason. Nashville’s a possibility- a little more on the way between parks the NOLA as well. I guess I’ll have to check that out
Then there is Mammoth Cave in KY.  Not an adventure in the same sense as a via ferreta, but quite unique.  Not many dry caves and Mammoth is . . . well . . . huge.

Save New Orleans for when your sons are of drinking age.  If you want to see an old city with great food, check out Charleston, SC.

Looks like there are classic rollercoasters at Family Kingdom in Myrtle Beach, SC.

https://youtu.be/jfJArIj4Y7I
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
i forgot to mention..in 21hrs...
Impressive
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Then there is Mammoth Cave in KY.  Not an adventure in the same sense as a via ferreta, but quite unique.  Not many dry caves and Mammoth is . . . well . . . huge.

Save New Orleans for when your sons are of drinking age.  If you want to see an old city with great food, check out Charleston, SC.

Looks like there are classic rollercoasters at Family Kingdom in Myrtle Beach, SC.

https://youtu.be/jfJArIj4Y7I
Mammoth Cave is just the kind of thing I’m looking for
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
If it is on the route, don't forget about the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very cool drive and you can always check out the caves at Luray Caverns.

Lots of Civil War history in the nearby Shenandoah Valley if you are into that.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Brownski wrote
Mammoth Cave is just the kind of thing I’m looking for
Haven't been there for about 15 years.  I would guess that buying tickets in advance to reserve spots is well worth the effort.  As I remember, there is a separate tour to a smaller cave that has the more typical stalagmites and stalactites.

If you want to consider adding something educational, the Coal Mine Museum in Beckley, WV is a bit different.  The site was a working coal mine in the past.  Of course, whether or not it's on the way or a detour depends on your route.

https://beckley.org/underground-tour/

Have you ever heard of the Virgina Creeper Trail?  It's long Rails-to-Trails bike trail near Abingdon in southwest VA, 17 miles mostly downhill from Whitetop to Abingdon.  Have the option of getting a shuttle to the top and only ride down.  Great ice cream near the end of the trail in Abingdon.  The trail continues past Abingdon put that section is much less scenic.

https://www.vacreepertrail.org
http://www.vacreepertrail.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Looks like mammoth is probably out but a day or half day in New Orleans now makes sense. Gonna be Texas heavy I think
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
Looks like mammoth is probably out but a day or half day in New Orleans now makes sense. Gonna be Texas heavy I think
Blue Toes and I spent a pleasant afternoon in New Orleans on one of our lengthy road trips some years ago. Rolled in from the Texas side in time for a nice seafood lunch, wandered around the French Quarter for a while until we got off the tourist beat and stumbled on a full-on crime bust. Cops had guns out, bad guy splayed over the hood of the cop car, just like on TV. We decided to return to the the tourist area at that point.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Brownski wrote
If you do go to New Orleans , P.M. me..I have been there 15 times , maybe more..I can give you restaurants etc..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thanks JW. We’ll most likely be pretty roadworn and bedraggled by then so outdoor and/or rustic bbq and seafood places will probably be the best candidates
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Ain't no BBQ in NOLA...Seafood yes..

The French Quarter is something to experience but do NOT stay there. During the day it's interesting and fun. At night it's interesting , fun and much more..Make some time for the WW2 museum. I'm sure you and the kids will love it..

Go to Superior Seafood over on St Charles..The drive down St Charles is nice and you see a different side of NOLA..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Looks like tropical storm Barry may get in the way at some point so I guess I’ll have to stay flexible. Leaving on Sunday
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Since the wife is staying home I’ll be packing my girl repellent
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Road Trip 2019

Brownski
Just hit the road this morning and already discovered a new soft drink brand