campgottagopee
Please share whatever the hell you guys are smoking

I'm lost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Magazine Top 20 Eastern Ski Areas

gorgonzola
I be feeling very edumacated dis morning... makes up for the brain damage incurred in the powder thread!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
It's a Nazi thing. It means eventually even Killington will get shut down,
Progressively shutting down a couple each year would be perfect
Reply | Threaded
|

DoWork
Well I don't mean to be unnecessarily negative about it but the perennial BS reader's poll is always the least informative thing I'll see all year without fail- but it's always there.  It just seems like kind of a waste when there are so many awesome stories out there for the journalists that actually leave their office and well, you know- ski and stuff.  After all, we live in the home of US skiing- literally every corner holds an incredible, often historically relevant and wholly deserving tale that in all seriousness is (or may be) in danger of being lost.  Just my .02, I don't mean to be overly dramatic, just in need of a little venting about the fluff for fluff's sake.  

ML, that sounds like a great algorithm!  I like it already- and I must say- for being the biggest kid on the block, Pow Mag "gets it" to a very surprising degree.            

Harv it's good to come by  I've been meaning to contribute for some time.  Great forums around here and some awesome familiar faces too!  Love my NY peeps and areas for sure!  
"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
DoWork wrote
ML, that sounds like a great algorithm!
Made me laugh.

I'd love to do a survey that was 40% snow, 40% terrain and 20% somethin else like does the owner buy you a beer. But that's some work right there.

I'm thinking dual NYSB meetups to share that Platty/Magic love. We'll show em who's top 20.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I just saw this page so I decided to post it here.  Comment about your praises or gripes about the rankings below.

20.  Saddleback, Maine
19.  Bromley, Vermont
18.  Mad River Glen, Vermont
17.  Cannon, New Hampshire
16.  Mount Snow, Vermont
15.  Loon, New Hampshire
14.  Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
13.  Stratton, Vermont
12.  Jay Peak, Vermont
11.  Sugarbush, Vermont
10.  Okemo, Vermont
9.  Sunday River, Maine
8.  Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
7.  Sugarloaf, Maine
6.  Whiteface, New York
5.  Holiday Valley, New York
4.  Killington, Vermont
3.  Stowe, Vermont
2.  Smuggler's Notch, Vermont
1.  Tremblant, Quebec
The whole list is a joke. Tremblant is a freezing cold ice mound with no snow. Who goes further north to get less snow? Where are these readers from? I'm guessing majority from dc to boston. I'm guessing they just want to visit montreal, which has nothing to do with skiing. Tremblant gets about as much snow as mt snow if it's lucky.

Whiteface should rename itself to iceface.

Bromley is a cool place.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
PowderAssassin wrote

Just cause some folks are rippin on your girly mountain and the girly way you ski, don't get nasty about our mountain cause you don't know what you're talking about. Its a big mountain with big exposure so there are icey times, but that's true of any big mountain in the NE. More and better snowmaking has changed the way WF skis.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
PowderAssassin wrote

Just cause some folks are rippin on your girly mountain and the girly way you ski, don't get nasty about our mountain cause you don't know what you're talking about. Its a big mountain with big exposure so there are icey times, but that's true of any big mountain in the NE. More and better snowmaking has changed the way WF skis.
LOL

Have fun at iceface...and yes it's wind exposed like most high NE suckass mountains. They all suck and are hardpack unless it has snowed. You're absolutely right about that.

But some people keep wanting to believe the east coast fantasy that NVT is a powder hounds destination. LMAO
350 inches plus baby!

I like to have a hill where I can actually get some use out of my k2 hellbents.

You're just another customer buying a lift ticket. Get over yourself. Have fun telling strangers on the internet what a HARDCORE skier you are.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
If you were really that core, you'd move out west to where the real mountains are. Get real. I don't claim to be "core". In all honesty, you're just strapping on a pair of planks and sliding down a mountain. It's for fun. You're not being paid, you're not winning medals, and you're not being features in a warren miller film. You're just another john doe getting ripped off by new england mountains and their shitty overpriced cater to the rich people ice covered overcrowded shitholes. Snow ridge charges 18 bucks for way WAY better snow conditions than any of these other destination resorts. If I'm going to spend a ton of money on lodging/lift tickets(I'm broke), then I'd fly out west. THe hermitage club mentality says it all.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Oh and the people who actually do extreme stuff should win darwin awards....ahhh...my ankles!! my ankles!!! And Ski racing has to be the dumbest shit ever. It should be called how to wreck your knees, possibly die, and be in pain forever and take unnecessary stupid risks. At least their making money for it. It's a livelihood. I get that. WTF is your excuse genius?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
Holy shit!  He's the gift that keeps on giving!  Every time he posts it's weirder and more delusional than the last.

MOAR Powderass!  Don't you dare ban this chump Harvey.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
More and better snowmaking has changed the way WF skis.
HAHAHA....Snow making creates typical hardpack conditions. That junk they blow on the trail turns to hardpack in 2.2 seconds once it's groomed. You can groom real snow and it doesn't do that. Oh and wider trails tend to not get icy as quickly because they're farther from the humidity of the snow gun. Smaller area they're blowing on. You can see boiler plate right next to the gun also. Something I've noticed at my local hill. I'm talking first chair stuff or when it's not busy. Obviously wider trails can have more traffic due to popularity(classic blue wide intermediate) causing it to be skied off, but that's a different thing.

You need natural snow and you need it often and not blown off the trail by crazy winds. If they used the southern exposure, they'd have not as bad wind problems. Northeast/west winds. Another reason snow ridge is king. Faces southeast/HIGHLY WIND protected and at a low elevation on top of it.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Yes, low elevation mountains that get lots of wet, sloppy fake effect are always held in high regard.

Up is down, down is up, cats and dogs living together.

MOAR PowderAss!
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
More and better snowmaking has changed the way WF skis.
HAHAHA....Snow making creates typical hardpack conditions. That junk they blow on the trail turns to hardpack in 2.2 seconds once it's groomed. You can groom real snow and it doesn't do that. Oh and wider trails tend to not get icy as quickly because they're farther from the humidity of the snow gun. Smaller area they're blowing on. You can see boiler plate right next to the gun also. Something I've noticed at my local hill. I'm talking first chair stuff or when it's not busy. Obviously wider trails can have more traffic due to popularity(classic blue wide intermediate) causing it to be skied off, but that's a different thing.

You need natural snow and you need it often and not blown off the trail by crazy winds. If they used the southern exposure, they'd have not as bad wind problems. Northeast/west winds. Another reason snow ridge is king. Faces southeast/HIGHLY WIND protected and at a low elevation on top of it.
Just curious, have you ever been to snow ridge?  And what is your home mountain?  Have you been to these places you talk shit about as well?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
Just curious, have you ever been to snow ridge?  And what is your home mountain?  Have you been to these places you talk shit about as well?
Of course I've been there. Multiple times.

Not telling you my home mountain.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

Don't be embarassed
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

HAHAHAHA SOMEONE HAS A SECRET!
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
Wait some one doesn't like jay?!? More for me
1234567 ... 11