214 messages Options
12345678 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Magazine Top 20 Eastern Ski Areas

x10003q
PowderAssassin wrote
HAHAHA....Snow making creates typical hardpack conditions. That junk they blow on the trail turns to hardpack in 2.2 seconds once it's groomed. You can groom real snow and it doesn't do that. Oh and wider trails tend to not get icy as quickly because they're farther from the humidity of the snow gun. Smaller area they're blowing on. You can see boiler plate right next to the gun also. Something I've noticed at my local hill. I'm talking first chair stuff or when it's not busy. Obviously wider trails can have more traffic due to popularity(classic blue wide intermediate) causing it to be skied off, but that's a different thing.

You need natural snow and you need it often and not blown off the trail by crazy winds. If they used the southern exposure, they'd have not as bad wind problems. Northeast/west winds. Another reason snow ridge is king. Faces southeast/HIGHLY WIND protected and at a low elevation on top of it.
This is priceless.......
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
x10003q wrote

This is priceless.......
So you think the crap they blow out of the gun is the same thing as real snow? PUHHLEASE. It's absolutely not. It's like saying sleet/grapule is the same thing as snow. It's consistency, moisture content, and size/shape are completely different to the real thing. You can't replicate what falls out of the sky. Machine made snow turns into sratchy hardpack vs when you have real snow, it's nice soft groomers even when it's wet snow. NO COMPARISON.

And are you really arguing that snow ridge doesn't have better wind protection then iceface? Are you F'ing kidding me?
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
southerly exposure sucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
ml242 wrote
southerly exposure sucks.
Not for spring skiing it doesn't. Makes for beautiful corn snow when it gets above freezing. The key is for it not to be crowded so you don't get ruts everywhere. It can really help soften up the ice that we get when it gets above freezing as well. Grooming is really important in spring skiing conditions. Nothing better than a finally soft velvet layer of corn snow freshly groomed. I wish they'd do a regroom at most areas during the day when it's spring conditions.

And southern exposure is GREAT when you're skiing on POWDER DAYS. Southerly exposure is great for wind protection. Wind is out the north and northeast, that's the strongest winds. Then on the backside of a low some northwest/westerlies but those aren't as strong. You're not looking at this from the point of view of a powder hound. I can tell the way people are talking about booking ski trips ahead of time to new england areas, you aint pow hounds. People who chase pow make the trip at last second.

If you have a night skiing operation, it's brutal because of sun thawing and then refreezing at night. Night skiing sucks though period anyway unless it's bombing out. I never go night skiing unless it's snowing. THen it's really fun.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Oh when you're talking spring skiing, man made and natural melting are the same thing. You can't tell the difference then.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
I have snow ridge. I assassinate all the pow I want there.
PowderAssassin wrote
Last year I follwed turin, ny nws forecast ...and I can honestly say Turin ny kicked NVT's ass big time. I didn't mark it down for totals. I should do it this year.  And snow ridge isn't even in the bullseye of the tug hill. They're on the edge. I remember a bunch of lake effect storms absolutely hammering just northeast of turin. But snow ridge got a ton as well. I was watching the bands on the radar. Incredibly intense stuff. It was feet and feet on a weekly basis. Nothing even remotely close to that in NVT.
PowderAssassin wrote
Another reason snow ridge is king. Faces southeast/HIGHLY WIND protected and at a low elevation on top of it.
PowderAssassin wrote
You're just another john doe getting ripped off by new england mountains and their shitty overpriced cater to the rich people ice covered overcrowded shitholes. Snow ridge charges 18 bucks for way WAY better snow conditions than any of these other destination resorts.
PowderAssassin wrote
I can tell you the tug gets more snow more often, and deeper snow, less wind affected, wider trails so it doesn't get tracked out, WAY WAY less crowds which is really important. Of course snow ridge doesn't get as much as the high mountains in CO, but they never claimed to. They are really honest and give actual lift tickets people can afford vs the rip off of northern new england snow gun reliant hills.
You know, I’ve never been to Snow Ridge.  It’s been high on my list of ski areas I need to get to, but for some reason I’ve recently lost all interest.  I will definitely be going back to Jay though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
PowderAssassin wrote
x10003q wrote

This is priceless.......
So you think the crap they blow out of the gun is the same thing as real snow? PUHHLEASE. It's absolutely not. It's like saying sleet/grapule is the same thing as snow. It's consistency, moisture content, and size/shape are completely different to the real thing. You can't replicate what falls out of the sky. Machine made snow turns into sratchy hardpack vs when you have real snow, it's nice soft groomers even when it's wet snow. NO COMPARISON.

And are you really arguing that snow ridge doesn't have better wind protection then iceface? Are you F'ing kidding me?
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
PowderAssassin wrote
You're not looking at this from the point of view of a powder hound. I can tell the way people are talking about booking ski trips ahead of time to new england areas, you aint pow hounds. People who chase pow make the trip at last second.
hahaha, says the guy that skis snow ridge 2x a year and bromley once (plus an unnamed local bump). Nice storm chasing.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ml242 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
You're not looking at this from the point of view of a powder hound. I can tell the way people are talking about booking ski trips ahead of time to new england areas, you aint pow hounds. People who chase pow make the trip at last second.
hahaha, says the guy that skis snow ridge 2x a year and bromley once (plus an unnamed local bump). Nice storm chasing.
He my be a dick but he is right that there is a class of hounds that fly on a moments notice. Knew a remote worker once stationed in Phoenix. If it had snowed big in SL, Tahoe, Taos or Dillon he was not in the office - Southwest took him direct to all of them.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
We have two guys, Jim and Ron, who will fly out to Alta every time there is more than a foot of snow forecasted, as long as our base is over 30" or something like that. Every. Single. Time. They've been doing it for 20+ years.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
PowderAssassin wrote
x10003q wrote

This is priceless.......

I was just trying to save the sheer genius of your post for posterity.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
We have two guys, Jim and Ron, who will fly out to Alta every time there is more than a foot of snow forecasted, as long as our base is over 30" or something like that. Every. Single. Time. They've been doing it for 20+ years.
Yeah they got major money to burn. Honestly, if I had that type of money. I'd be doing cat power skiing at grand targhee and whistler area. lol....they seriously fly every ime it dumps? THat's almost every week. Sometimes multiple times a week. They got money to burn. I BARELY got the bread to pay for the gas to snow ridge or buy my season pass. Had to sell blood.

I'm being captain obvious here, but The fact is if you really want to ski as much powder as possible and you don't have a personal private jet, you want to live near a major pow destination. And no NVT is not that. Move to salt lake city area or jackson hole or any town near the pow resorts/backcountry ect. ect. Then you're right there. I don't live there so I do the best I can out here.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
So basically you dont ride any powder but you know all about it from the internet.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
PowderAssassin wrote
(I'm broke)
?!?! powder headinass, with all your ski and snow knowledge you should be operating many multi $$ corporations

Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
freeheeln wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
(I'm broke)
?!?! powder headinass, with all your ski and snow knowledge you should be operating many multi $$ corporations
He wouldnt be broke if he was a profession skier like all of us
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
So basically you dont ride any powder but you know all about it from the internet.
I got 9 pow days in last year. And I mean fresh untracked stuff on an actual trail. Your average ec skier gets 0. Many have never even been in powder before or been on a trail when it's snowing. When I say your average skier, I don't mean everyone. I just mean the few times a year average skier.

If I lived in vermont, I'd get more, If I lived near snow ridge, I'd get even more and finally if I lived out west I'd get WAY more.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
(I'm broke)
I don't see how knowing how much snow areas get and seeing though hype and marketing somehow means I will be able to get a job running corporations. But if you want to offer me one, I'd gladly take it.

14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
I got 9 pow days in last year. And I mean fresh untracked stuff on an actual trail. Your average ec skier gets 0. Many have never even been in powder before or been on a trail when it's snowing. When I say your average skier, I don't mean everyone. I just mean the few times a year average skier.

If I lived in vermont, I'd get more, If I lived near snow ridge, I'd get even more and finally if I lived out west I'd get WAY more.
You know we arent average ec skiers here.  I hit double that last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
 Another reason snow ridge is king. Faces southeast
What planet you on?

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin

skimore wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
 Another reason snow ridge is king. Faces southeast
What planet you on?

Looks like a southern exposure to me....what planet are you on?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12345678 ... 11