Skier lost on Whiteface

Peter Minde
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skier lost on Whiteface

warp daddy
Horrible , hope they find the man . Must  be in the woods
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
If they don't find him tonight, he is most likely dead.  I worked at ski resorts for years, and every season at least one person died on the mountain, either from a heart attack or traumatic injury.  It's not uncommon.

Hopefully he's just injured and they will find him very soon.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ugh. I sincerely hope for a miracle.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey wrote
Agreed. Last night must have been cold up on the mountain with the winds picking up after the low moved on. Fingers crossed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
So sad to hear.  He was probably just out having fun.  
I recently purchased an InReach tracker and I'm learning how to use it.  I'm an avid skier but not a great skier and being 56 years old and someone who skis alone a lot, I figure that anything can happen.  I'm going to be using it even on the main mountains JUST IN CASE.  I figure that I can always slide off a trail, be alone on a trail too long or something. No, it's not a cure all but I figure why not take advantage of today's technology.  At the end of the day common sense and backcountry skills are most important but why not  add a little edge....

Prayers for the missing skier and his family.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This is not going to have a happy ending unfortunately if he has been gone since Wednesday.  Probably decided to ski the woods alone that were not open.  Pow fever is a dangerous thing.  

And seriously are those the best photos the paper could find of WF
A 7 year old with a cell phone could have shot better photos than that

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Same --- I can't even imagine

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
This is not going to have a happy ending unfortunately if he has been gone since Wednesday.  Probably decided to ski the woods alone that were not open.  Pow fever is a dangerous thing.  

Coach, you know that mountain ---- wouldn't you think if he just went to ski the woods they would find him?? I mean he wasn't a local so I'd guess he wouldn't venture into something that wasn't marked as a trail?? Are there areas there that he could've zigged when he should've zagged that would put him in some remote area that they couldn't see during a SAR?? I know places like that exist at Smuggs but I don't know WF well enough to know if that's possible.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
If they haven’t found him yet then he’s dead.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Snowhunter
I’ve started to put the bar down regularly because I’m thinking “if I have a heart attack I don’t want to fall right off the chair”
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
They are still searching, big crews out on snow shoes, saw a dog on the mountain, and a helicopter. Sign at the summit quad just says “positive thoughts.” It’s pretty somber skiing and seeing all of the search crews. The VIP lot is full of police, dec, forest ranger and other vehicles. Sad.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
terrible story.

Granted he could be anywhere, and could likely have gotten injured thus preventing him from getting either down as far as the river or the gully that empties out down towards Bear Den.....but Z (or others): what are the likely/frequent spots folks commonly veer off into and get into trouble?

I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to go over the top side and down...figured he'd more likely venture into some woods on side of trail or gondi lift line--or similar.

And I know full well it ain't a prevention measure, but I insist on myself and 2 kids to carry a loud emergency whistle in their jacket chest pocket---just in case they need to get some attention. They're not venturing into unmarked stuff (yet), but I figured a good idea in case they're ever in marked glades and get into trouble---you never know how long it could be before someone else comes in behind you.....
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by SIAWOL
Is there cell phone service up there? If yeah then my guess is that he knocked himself out, maybe a tree strike and died in the cold.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote
Is there cell phone service up there? If yeah then my guess is that he knocked himself out, maybe a tree strike and died in the cold.
Yea, there is. I'm thinking the same as you. That's the only thing that remotely makes sense.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
T Mobile sucks at the mountain.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
If he had a phone couldn't they locate him by using that?
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Snowhunter
Snowhunter wrote
So sad to hear.  He was probably just out having fun.  
I recently purchased an InReach tracker and I'm learning how to use it.
My old lady cant live without it... it's a no brainer if you engage in high risk recreational pursuits.  SOS & Messaging.

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Still not found. They are calling it a night and will resume in the morning. They are saying they don't need any more volunteers.
I don't rip, I bomb.
1234 ... 11