classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
201 messages Options
123456 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skier lost on Whiteface

Hoser
People time, gas, equipment, food, heli fuel, insurance, dog food, all of it, 100% inclusive.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Can't wait to hear the rest of this story.

I'm hoping that he was trying to fake his own death for some crazy reason (insurance fraud, love triangle, etc.).
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
I spent a couple of days with search crews searching for him, but I have to say, at the time, I was pretty sure he wasn't on the mountain. It just didn't make sense.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
I’m starting to think this guy is on a beach somewhere with his girlfriend.  
Edit
Retraction on my other comments
I meant no disrespect
I do hope he is on a beach somewhere though as that is the only happy ending to this
i thought this was insensitive at the time...... turns out you were dead on
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Face4Me
I just seemed to know this guy had pulled something like this.  I kept saying it and poeple were looking at me funny but something just didn’t feel right here.  The final puzzle piece was that in the past he had laid down on the trail becuase he was drunk.  Since he clearly wasn’t on the side of a trail I thought what a great alibi he created for himself.  He then just skied down to Kids kampus where his girl friend picked him up.  

How the hell did he got to Cali without the state troopers knowing?  If he used a fake Id to fly he is in deep shit.  If he used his own ID how did the cops not find that out?  Someone has some splaining to do on that.  

This guy is a dirt bag of the highest order.  Millions were spent on this and even his friends were searching for him for days.  SAR crews were at risk.  Supposedly his own kids were there and despondent over the fate of thier dad.   He needs to be sent a bill by the state for all the costs plus a nice profit margin as well as be locked up with some big dudes that will make him thier bitch.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Z wrote
He needs to be sent a bill by the state for all the costs plus a nice profit margin as well as be locked up with some big dudes that will make him thier bitch.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
I guess I'll wait to hear the full story before I pass judgement.

I'm just impressed with ORDA and all of the agencies that were involved searching for him. This was a great display of professionalism and dedication to task. I'm also really glad that none of the searchers were seriously hurt. There was some pretty gnarly terrain that people were going through looking for him.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Face4Me wrote
This is probably a good idea. Seven days later he was found in the same clothes?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
This post was updated on .
I'd like to kick his fuckin' ass.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Face4Me wrote
Really?

Just think what he put his own kids through.

What could possibly make you say well ok this was justified? Is he some kind of spy fighting terriorism and had to fake his disappearance.  There is no way this has a rational explaination that we are going say yeah I guess this guy is ok.

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Maybe he has bipolar disorder or something? What an asshat anyway.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Z wrote
Face4Me wrote
Really?

What could possibly make you say well ok this was justified? Is he some kind of spy fighting terriorism and had to fake his disappearance.  There is no way this has a rational explaination that we are going say yeah I guess this guy is ok.
I have enough life experience to know that until you've walked in another man's shoes, you never really know for sure what drives people to do the things they do. Desperation can drive people to do things that any "rational" person would never do. Mental illness can manifest itself in so many ways.

I'm not saying that what he did was OK ... not by any means. But I'm willing to hear the story. If you're right, and he was shacking up with a girlfriend or something like that, well then, I'm with Johnny ... I want to kick his ass ... but if it was something else, then I have to keep my mind open.

Sometimes, things are never as simple and straight-forward as they seem.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Maybe he has bipolar disorder or something? What an asshat anyway.
Alien abduction?  

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Face4Me wrote
Z wrote
Face4Me wrote
Really?

I have enough life experience to know that until you've walked in another man's shoes, you never really know for sure what drives people to do the things they do. Desperation can drive people to do things that any "rational" person would never do. Mental illness can manifest itself in so many ways.

I'm not saying that what he did was OK ... not by any means. But I'm willing to hear the story. If you're right, and he was shacking up with a girlfriend or something like that, well then, I'm with Johnny ... I want to kick his ass ... but if it was something else, then I have to keep my mind open.

Sometimes, things are never as simple and straight-forward as they seem.
Face is correct. He’s not making excuses for the guy, just waiting for the facts to come. If it turns out to be what it most likely is (a bonehead skipping out on his family) NYS will find something to charge him with. I’m just thankful nobody got hurt searching for him. Imagine if one of those helicopters had crashed. I’m also glad the bonehead isn’t laying in the woods frozen someplace.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
This post was updated on .
Face4Me wrote
Z wrote
Face4Me wrote
I'm have the same sentiment as one never knows until the facts are gathered and analyzed.  I was at the mountain most days during this SAR. I was skiing and did all I could to stop and look down the many places one might assume a skier could  lose control and launch into the woods. Areas off Approach and beyond the line of boulders where upper meets lower Boreen would be a few examples.
Face is correct. He’s not making excuses for the guy, just waiting for the facts to come. If it turns out to be what it most likely is (a bonehead skipping out on his family) NYS will find something to charge him with. I’m just thankful nobody got hurt searching for him. Imagine if one of those helicopters had crashed. I’m also glad the bonehead isn’t laying in the woods frozen someplace.
Ditto the "imagine if one of the copters would have crashed".. I took the shot ADkMike posted earlier and yes, a low flyer indeed, coming up Essex..I'll repost for clarity....I was staring at the pilot and shotgun guy as it flew by me....the closest I've ever come to a flying copter.... It was a surreal to see and experience this....been skiing WF for 44 yrs and this was a first....hopefully the last Most importantly...hats off to all involved in this SAR who put themselves at risk looking for this guy. The positive take away at this point is no one was injured from all I've read.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I'll vouch for both Face and Z saying he pulled a D.B. Cooper.  I wasn't sure.

I'll reserve judgment too.  Helmet and ski pants in Sacramento?  The guy must have stank to high heaven.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
where are these details coming from that he still had ski pants on in Cali?

How the hell did he get off WF and to Cali.  Assuming the NY Troopers are good at their jobs which I think they are how did he either fly or drive a car there which is a hell of a long drive?  Did he rent a car?  Have an accomplice which I assume is a girlfriend or maybe boyfriend?

It must of been one hell of a piece of ass or did he bet big on the Pats and owe his bookie big?

The guy was a first responder himself so how could he possibly put others thru this?  How does he put his family thru it?  He may play the crazy card but to plan and pull this off is not something a crazy person could do.  You needed to know exactly what you were doing to get as far as he did.

Face may not get this but the prison break movie portrayed those that live in our area as a bunch of stupid hicks and maybe this guy believed he could get away with it because of it.  Maybe Stiller will come back and film another one based on this story.  Supposedly he enjoyed filming in the area despite the stupid locals.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.mynbc5.com/article/missing-whiteface-skier-found-in-california/17764938

Dazed and confused, wandering in ski pants and helmet from the week before.......either this guy is a brilliant grifter and talented actor or he’s had some kind of significant medical episode.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Z wrote
Face4Me wrote
Really?
Yeah I say we kick his ass now to save time and examine the facts later!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Harvey wrote
Yeah I say we kick his ass now to save time and examine the facts later!
Full send!
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
123456 ... 11