Skiing, This Weekend, Anyone?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skiing, This Weekend, Anyone?

Cornhead
  I plan on skiing Killington on Saturday, Jay Sunday. There are no deals for either on Liftopia, so $49 for K, $45 for J. The weather doesn't look great, chance of showers both days. I think this will truly be the end for me. Lazlo, will you be skiing Killington this weekend?

I wouldn't mind checking out Jay's waterpark, just for the hell of it, but more likely will try to stay at the Snowshoe Lodge in Jay, $30 per night, five channels of snow on the TV. What are the chances of wifi there, slim to none?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Skiing, This Weekend, Anyone?

Plattekill
Thanks for the update. My skiing is limited to midweek as we have already started our summer mountain bike season and spin our lifts on weekends.  We opened to strong numbers this past weekend. Enjoy the snow. Not sure if I'll make it there before season end this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Plattekill wrote
Thanks for the update. My skiing is limited to midweek as we have already started our summer mountain bike season and spin our lifts on weekends.  We opened to strong numbers this past weekend. Enjoy the snow. Not sure if I'll make it there before season end this year.
  Good luck with your mountain bike season, funny how you got snowed out in the Fall, and in the Spring. The slices of bread with not much "meat" in between. You did a great job on your snowmaking trails this year, kudos. Looking forward to many great days skiing Plattekill, love the place. Still waiting for my first "Powder Daize", here's to many next year.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
it's full on mtn bike season up here in the ADKs.  trails are dry and fast.

Some of my DH crew hit up Platty this weekend.

I will not be DH-ing till WF opens (June 16). My rig needs a bit of work...  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
DIFF bike for DH vs trail riding??
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Some of my DH crew hit up Platty this weekend.
What did the crew report? :)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Plattekill
Powderdaize are awesome for sure.  We'll order up a few for next year.  Thanks for positive comments on our snowmaking. I'm glad it is being noticed.  We are very proud of the infrastructure we have continually added over the last 19 years.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  We will be pinching pennies this year, but will, nevertheless, add a little more to our snowmaking this summer too.  We purchased 21 snowgun towers from Stratton last fall and 10 from Elk, along with a bunch of underground infrastructure items from Tupper and Mt Snow, and intend to put them in if we can find a good deal on some pipe somewhere.  We will keep you posted.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote

Sure, it's kinda like powder and ice skis.

Hey, if you think skiing is expensive, check out what people pay for a bicycle and immediately take it out in the woods and beat the crap out of it.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote
campgottagopee wrote

Sure, it's kinda like powder and ice skis.

Hey, if you think skiing is expensive, check out what people pay for a bicycle and immediately take it out in the woods and beat the crap out of it.
Gotcha, I thought maybe but wasn't a 100% sure.

I just bought my first bike so I'm familiar with current pricing...WOWOWOWOW..I can't believe the coin spent on those things...GEEZUS
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
...and sh!t breaks all the time! with skis you just need a little p-tex when you bash em on the rocks

i was thinking about kmart this weekend - mrs snowbunski's new skis came the day after we got back from utah and she's dying to try em out. with the warm weather this week and the forecast its doubtful though

was also thinking about tuckerman but i think its inferno weekend and looking at the reports it doesn't seem like a very good year for a first timer with the crevasses and undermined snow conditions
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Plattekill
Plattekill wrote
Powderdaize are awesome for sure.  We'll order up a few for next year.  Thanks for positive comments on our snowmaking. I'm glad it is being noticed.  We are very proud of the infrastructure we have continually added over the last 19 years.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  We will be pinching pennies this year, but will, nevertheless, add a little more to our snowmaking this summer too.  We purchased 21 snowgun towers from Stratton last fall and 10 from Elk, along with a bunch of underground infrastructure items from Tupper and Mt Snow, and intend to put them in if we can find a good deal on some pipe somewhere.  We will keep you posted.
That is awesome. When is the volunteer day going to rescheduled for? I can't wait to get the loppers out to finish up some trails for the WINTER season, too. 12-13 is going to be big!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Plattekill
Matt, I will leave the date selection and clearing plan in your capable hands.  Its your baby.  You did a fine job last year and management has no complaints.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
...and sh!t breaks all the time! with skis you just need a little p-tex when you bash em on the rocks

i was thinking about kmart this weekend - mrs snowbunski's new skis came the day after we got back from utah and she's dying to try em out. with the warm weather this week and the forecast its doubtful though

was also thinking about tuckerman but i think its inferno weekend and looking at the reports it doesn't seem like a very good year for a first timer with the crevasses and undermined snow conditions
  I wanted to attend T4T's "Slackfest" again this year on Memorial Day Weekend, had a great time last year, camping, hiking, skiing, beautiful scenery, what's not to like? I think they're planning on moving it up this year, don't know how much difference that'll make. I saw some pics from the summit, hard to believe it snowed over a foot there two weeks ago. I'd like to hit Tux in April sometime, like in a more normal snow year.

I'm not as obsessed with mountain biking as skiing, but I do enjoy it. I ride the trails at Chenango Valley State Park locally. There are trails there I never knew existed in all the years I've been going there. You can park on Pigeon Hill road and avoid having to pay to get into the park to bike, there's a trail head there.

If you do go to Killington, let me know, maybe we can share some turns.

Yikes, I just checked the weather, went from, chance of showers both days, to showers Saturday, rain Sunday, perhaps I'm done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Plattekill wrote
That is awesome. When is the volunteer day going to rescheduled for? I can't wait to get the loppers out to finish up some trails for the WINTER season, too. 12-13 is going to be big!!!!
I'd like to partake, wanted to this year, but couldn't for a reason that escapes me now. I'd like to know where the pruning is taking place.

Keep up the good work Laz, your efforts are appreciated, Platty is a true skier's, and boarder's, mountain. My fav in the Cats by a long shot. Why did I wait so long to ski it? dope.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I thought I would bump this.

What up peeps? Where?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
 Windham Sat and Gore Sun  
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Greek Peak---Sunday

last day of the year for us here in CNY, gonna be a good one, 50's and sunny

then it's on to golf, bike, and blastin chucks
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
All done for the season
On to training for a trip..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Closing Day at Platty on Sunday looks like it is going to be the awesome spring day we've been waiting for!!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Stupid question

Of course
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time