Spring Weather 2017

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
86 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spring Weather 2017

nepa
Wow!  From Tahoe to Baker is the span of a few days...Talk about calling an audible.  

The March Excitement in the PNW waned a bit after the first week... I think you can see it in the tone of the Open Snow content from our boy Larry Schick... we opened March with 7 consecutive Pow days... since then it's been pretty blah... a few sunny days, but mostly refrigerator like conditions (steady cool temps for days at a time... very little sun).
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
Eastern question...how's everyone feeling about the weather Friday?  I'm having trouble pinning this one down.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
no trouble pinning this down...
Chance of light freezing rain/sleet for the dacks and greens
south winds 20-30 mph
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
Dang...yeah...I guess I'm just in denial.  I'm thinking Jay could be the move this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JasonWx
What do you think the better day to ski is this weekend?  I might be choosing between Sat PM and Sun AM.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Whoa, maybe not so quick.  Singlechair dropped the 50s for next week and indicating another chance for big storm next week! Id be stoked for another stella!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I like the sound of that.  I'll be up there April 1/2!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
both days look like crap..light mixed precip
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Man, a few degrees colder and we get at least a foot!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
As of right now I am glad I pulled the trigger on a trip out to Banff leaving mid next week. If the models change I may be regretting that decision.

Unfortunately was hoping to get in some decent turns this weekend before heading out west but the forecast not looking good at this point.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
both days look like crap..light mixed precip
Any areas you see that might at least be dry? Southern VT? CNY? What's your best advice?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
I second this question. Looked like NoVT from Stowe up may only have some light precip in the morning Saturday and then cloudy for the afternoon, but the precip line in the latest GFS looks close.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Brownski
In terms of the nrn Daks, both the NOAA forecast discussion and some of the forecasts I follow indicate that Saturday may dry out a bit late morning into the afternoon, after a couple inches of snow/sleet mix, before getting wet again Sunday.  Very uncertain forecast so anything can happen, but Sat may not be a wash out.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
If I had to make a choice, sat would be the better of the 2 days..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Tomorrow could turn out ok at Whiteface.  2-4" of a snowy, wintry mix thru tonight, and a 50/50 chance it could be spitting a variety at you tomorrow.  Vis may not be great, but not a washout.

Baker is up to 20" in 48 hours, 100% chance of snow today, tonight, and early tomorrow.  Freezing levels may briefly push 4000 this afternoon, but will generally be 3000 or below.  Even conservative forecasts put new snow through tomorrow at 7-18", with possibly more, especially at higher elevations.  Per Snowbrains, Baker now has the most snow ytd of any resort in North America at 720" and climbing.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JTG4eva! wrote
Tomorrow could turn out ok at Whiteface.  2-4" of a snowy, wintry mix thru tonight, and a 50/50 chance it could be spitting a variety at you tomorrow.  Vis may not be great, but not a washout.

Baker is up to 20" in 48 hours, 100% chance of snow today, tonight, and early tomorrow.  Freezing levels may briefly push 4000 this afternoon, but will generally be 3000 or below.  Even conservative forecasts put new snow through tomorrow at 7-18", with possibly more, especially at higher elevations.  Per Snowbrains, Baker now has the most snow ytd of any resort in North America at 720" and climbing.
Snowing heavily this AM on the East side... Pow day at the Ridge!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Baker is such a freak'n snow magnet..
Looking forward to your TR..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by nepa
Enjoy nepa!

With my brother along hopefully there will be some better pics and video for the trip report.  Things would have turned out ok at Crystal (9" overnight and 10-12" more on the way) or Squaw (7" past 24 with upwards of 10" more on the way) but if your gonna chase might as well go where it's deepest.  Stoked to add Baker to my list of resorts!

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by tjf1967
3 down 3 to go with 5 left.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Ah, but have you seen 3 days of improvement in conditions?

That next 5 might be tough.....forecast at 4810.