Spring Weather 2017

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
86 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spring Weather 2017

JTG4eva!
Spring didn't get the memo out west.  If you've been thinking about a trip or have credits to use, Utah and Colorado have both been getting snow this week (some hills more than others, none as much as Baker ), and they both seem to have multiple storms lining up right thru the beginning of April, while the PNW looks like it may quiet down next week.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Enjoy nepa!

With my brother along hopefully there will be some better pics and video for the trip report.  Things would have turned out ok at Crystal (9" overnight and 10-12" more on the way) or Squaw (7" past 24 with upwards of 10" more on the way) but if your gonna chase might as well go where it's deepest.  Stoked to add Baker to my list of resorts!
Right On JTG!! Be careful.  It's a whole-nother level of remoteness over in that neck of the woods... if someone gets in trouble, it will take a long time for help to arrive.  The road ends at the ski area, and by the time you get there, you have trouble remembering what it looked like where you started.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I have been thinking about signing up for a trip up Mt Shuksan..I think that is Mt Bakers neck of the woods..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yes, it is.  The Shuksan Arm is a relatively short hike from the summit of Baker, looks like fun stuff.  Higher on Shuksan is a whole different world of glaciers and such.  I've been looking at video of the Shuksan Headwall, the Hanging Glacier, Northwest Couloir.....impressive stuff.  Should be quite a day in the backcountry Sunday, not that we will do any of that.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
nepa, thanks for the words of caution.  The hope is that we will get there early enough to snag a walk in private lesson (reservations were full).  For 2 people it's $128 per 1.5 hours.  My brother and I could split 3 hours, spend the $128 (plus a $60 lift ticket) and hopeyfully have lift privledges and someone to show us the goods and keep us from getting lost on a powder day.  Hopefully....
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Summer climbing trip
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JasonWx wrote
Summer climbing trip
Bring your skis... I think we're going have some fantastic summer skiing this year!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
It would be cool to do some summer skiing on Rainier or the Baker/Shuksan glaciers.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The Muir Snowfield on Rainer looks like a cool ski  back to Paradise..I did notice a lot sun cupping ..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
3" at whiteface and counting...here now
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by tjf1967
4 with 4 left
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Ok Ok
I admit, I got this one wrong...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Oh, wait....were you talking to TJ?
All told, Baker got 41 inches from Wednesday to Sunday!

Oh, and they got another 7 inches after we left yesterday.  

Seriously, thanks for putting up with all my boring weather waffling, and helping me nail this past weekend.

Mike, JetBlue to Seattle.....get on it!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!

Some time to groom after the freeze and a little shot of snow Friday night should improve things....and highs in the mid and upper 30s under the late March sun for the weekend should make for nice skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Just goes to show, crazy shit happens in the mountains weather wise...
I wonder what crystal received over the same time period?

you are iron man ..red eye and straight to the office..yikes
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Crystal got 1" Thursday, 7" Friday, and 6" over the past 48 hours.  Reports from Sat and Sun on TAY included "firm and fast" groomers, and "challenging and brutal" off piste.  In the scheme of things Baker isn't THAT far north of Crystal, but it's a world away, right now at least.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
I have been thinking about signing up for a trip up Mt Shuksan..I think that is Mt Bakers neck of the woods..
If you do get to this I recommend the crew at Mt. Baker Mountain Guides.  They were super friendly and efficient.  The guide we had yesterday, Jere Burrell, guides year round.  Skiing, ice climbing, mountain climbing.  Prior to his gig with MBMG he was a high level whitewater rafting guide.  Really nice guy, extremely knowledgeable.  Their prices are pretty good two, the backcountry day yesterday being $180 per person.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Tough looking forecast for the Northeast this week.  Active right through the weekend.  While elevation could result in some  snow on the summits, looks like a lot of ncp down low, where things are already a bit thin in spots.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Jason.. WTF man when's it gonna give?!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Jason, seriously, when is monsoon season ending around here?? This is ridiculous!