Storm Speculation: 12/9/14

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
103 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Storm Speculation: 12/9/14

Marcski
NOAA is predicting another 7+ for Platty over the next 36 hours or so!  It will be a damn good opening weekend for Platty.  

Today Snow. High near 26. Northwest wind 15 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around 4 inches.

Tonight Snow. Low around 21. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around 3 inches.

Thursday Snow showers likely, mainly before 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 27. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Thursday Night A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 19. West wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Friday A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 29. West wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30.

Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.

Sunday Partly sunny, with a high near 32.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
My reading of the extended forecast does not show any major warmth on Monday. I think we dodged a bullet.
Sweet
Reply | Threaded
|

midatlantico
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
On my way up tomorrow and will report back for the blog.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It's odd because the NOAA medium term temp forecasts has been persistent showing temps well above average.  Like for the last ten days.  But temps seem pretty normal for this time of year. Maybe a little above average.

Platty upped their storm total to 8-10.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I think temps for the Cats will be in the mid to upper 40 starting monday - thursday...at least it will be dry..
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by The Poacher
The Poacher wrote
By the way, she said their internet is down
All Internet on Frontier north of Queensbury was down until about 30 mins ago.  They lost a fiber optic cable over night

Power is out at WF so no lifts currently.  Glad I waited until tommorow to take a half day off work to ski
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
Looks like the mountains will have some above freezing weather Sunday afternoon - Tuesday. The good news is that it should be dry for most part, maybe a little precip with the cold front Tuesday night. This time of year with clear skies we may get an inversion Sunday - Monday keeping the temperatures around freezing at the surface and a few degrees higher on mountain tops.

This looks much better than it did early in the week, there will be some record highs in the mid-west later this week but the storm stuck in the northeast will block it from getting here
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hmmm....

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris

It's coming down moderately here in Wilton/Gansevoort.  Tomorrow morning may be pretty nice...

About 1" since it started snowing again around 2:45
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It is nuking snow up here

At 5pm I shoveled my walk between the house and garage where I tune skis.  I finished at 5:10.  At 6 when I was done tuning there was close to 3" back on the walk way

The power has been going on and off for the last couple hours
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
Last year was like "the year without a base."  As a result, the woods didn't really come into play until February. I think that this year is starting out on a much more positive note. My reading of the extended forecast does not show any major warmth on Monday. I think we dodged a bullet.
There is a nice base in the woods. This snow came on hard and wet and is ending up light and dry. I'm off to the glades tomorrow. If conditions aren't good I'll do some packing, if they are I'll do some skiing.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Scott
In reply to this post by Z
Coach, how close are you to north creek? Is there an accurate total for Gore base/mid?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Scott wrote
Coach, how close are you to north creek? Is there an accurate total for Gore base/mid?
Coach is much closer to Whiteface.

Gore is looking at close to 10 inches in the last 36 hrs at the base right now, and it's snowing pretty good.

That's based on a conversation I had with some who lives in North Creek at 1000 feet.  There is significantly more than that at the top of Bear. Some "natural" areas were swallowing half a ski pole during the day and it it has continued to snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Scott
Thanks Harv, gores website was claiming I think 3-5 new snow which disappointed me but I knew that there must be more snow. I truly believe that that need a class in marketing at Gore although I know many on this site love that our mountain remains on the down low. But it could be frustrating to see the potential never realized especially when you see what they do out west with there marketing. They convince me every other year to go out there. It's all in the marketing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Scott there were issues in North Creek today with internet access. I know Gore did post at one point today, not really sure how that happened.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I actually heard a song on the radio today about this, the girl was singing "its all about the base..."
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Scott
Scott wrote
Sorry by now I figured every one knew I live close to Whiteface
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Sounds like Sugarbush won so far... cold air hung on and there was no mixing, with a lot of light stuff landing on top of the cement.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
Looks like the forecast worked out after some of the earlier panic
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
18 inches in LP.  13 when I got home at 4:30 yseterday.