classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Hurricane Thread

JasonWx
Not sure...

He wouldn't leave if asked too any way...that's Richard..

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote

he has a full house generator and was watching tv..
When my parents built their house my dad put one of these in. Throw one switch and the entire house is lit up. When building new the cost is peanuts and worth it's weight in gold when needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Add in an underground concrete bunker for the win.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It looks like a class 5 shiticane boys.....

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
JasonWx wrote
today's run has it going into the NC and parking it's self there for days. no impact on us..but that can change
The rain after landfall is going to continue thru the weekend.  Flooding expected to be worse than after Hurricane Matthew, which a lot of people remember all too well.  Rivers won't crest for another day or two.  Some places have received 15+ inches of rain already, sometimes at rates of 3+ inches per hour.

Sections of I-95 and I-40 in eastern NC are closed already.

I figured out why I look at max wind gusts more than the sustained wind predictions.  Downed trees because of soaked roots is the bigger problem where I live when hurricanes hit the Carolinas.  All it takes is one gust to push down a tree on a road or power line to cause problems for hours or even days.  Lost power at my house for 12 hours yesterday, long before the rains were heavy around Raleigh.  But a minor inconvenience compared to what's happening to folks who live along the coast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sounds like your buddy was lucky.  Authorities have water rescued nearly 1000 people statewide and over 20% were from the cape fear flood zone.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
I-40 is closed due to flooding all the way from I-95 to Wilmington.  I don't remember that happening since that section of I-40 was completed in 1990.

Fayetteville and Lumberton are the bigger cities getting the brunt of the river flooding because the storm center is taking so long to move out of SC.  Was creeping at about 3mph most of the day.  In addition to the Cape Fear River, the Lumber River and the Pee Dee are expected to end up well over flood stage, probably a few feet higher than Hurricane Matthew.  The Lumber and Pee Dee go into SC and end near Myrtle Beach.  Central NC is getting a lot more rain tonight after getting soaked as the storm came across Wilmington.

It's bad and still getting worse in quite a few counties.  The Cape Fear River isn't expected to crest until Tuesday morning.  It drains into the Atlantic at Wilmington.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm supposed to play in a member/guest at Carolina National a week from Thursday. Gonna be interesting to see if it still goes.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I'm supposed to play in a member/guest at Carolina National a week from Thursday. Gonna be interesting to see if it still goes.
Do you mean near Myrtle Beach?  Latest estimate for restoring power in that county is by midnight on Wed, Sept. 19 for the customers served by Duke Energy.

Were you going to drive or fly?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JasonWx wrote

the fact that the cam is still working and flag is sill flying ,shows to me that the storm is not living up to the hype..

This cracked me up

And now these are even funnier

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
campgottagopee wrote
This cracked me up

I saw that too.  For the rest of his life he should be legally compelled to introduce himself as, "Hi, I'm <name> and I'm a f***ing tool."
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
that's the best!!
I'm glad FIOS dropped them from my tv package...

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Im sure FEMA will do everything in their power to quickly restore the golf courses.....   maybe bring a couple cases of bounty paper towels in case the putting ways are wet
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Do you mean near Myrtle Beach?  Latest estimate for restoring power in that county is by midnight on Wed, Sept. 19 for the customers served by Duke Energy.

Were you going to drive or fly?
This one: http://carolinanationalgolfclub.com

About 45 minutes north of Myrtle Beach, near Southport, NC. We're going to drive this time (tourney starts on the 27th).

ScottyJack wrote
Im sure FEMA will do everything in their power to quickly restore the golf courses.....   maybe bring a couple cases of bounty paper towels in case the putting ways are wet
Good idea!

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My buddy owns a restaurant 20 mins north of Myrtle . Hardly any damage , and power is back on..

He lives in Wilmington..His house has minor roof damage , but has a quite a few downed trees..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
This one: http://carolinanationalgolfclub.com

About 45 minutes north of Myrtle Beach, near Southport, NC. We're going to drive this time (tourney starts on the 27th).
That's what I thought.  Not sure where you start from, but my usual route via I-81 to to US29 and south from Danville may be better to avoid I-95 in NC.

Here's the alert on NCDOT as of 9/17/18.  Have seen pictures of chunks missing from I-95 that could mean sections will be closed for weeks, at least in one direction.  Will be more obvious after NC rivers crest on Tuesday 9/18.

"Due to flooding in southern, central and eastern parts of the state, NCDOT advises motorists not to travel through these parts of the state.
 Travel should be completely avoided in areas south of US-64 and east of I-73/I-74.

Several sections of I-95 and I-40 are flooded.
 I-95 Southbound traffic from Virginia should use US-64 West (Exit 138) to I-540 West to I-40 West to US-321 South to I-85 South.  Follow directions in South Carolina to re-access I-95."

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
JasonWx wrote
My buddy owns a restaurant 20 mins north of Myrtle . Hardly any damage , and power is back on..

He lives in Wilmington..His house has minor roof damage , but has a quite a few downed trees..
SC got lucky.

80,000 still without power in the Wilmington area.  Looks like another 50,000 without power around Lumberton and Fayetteville where there is the most concern about river flooding.  But the Duke outage map has local details now instead of just overall numbers by county.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Cape Fear River forecast to crest tonight.  Jason, your buddy still dry?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
He was as of yesterday.. Plan on calling later this morning..

Rumor has it NWS is thinking about changing the Hurricane scale.. They want to incorporate a rain metric in the scale. Most storms that hit the US have sub hurricane strength winds, but as we know cause major floods.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Numbers:

- 37 dead humans
- 3.4 million dead animals and livestock
- 500,000 without power
- 1000 search and rescue missions
- 1200 roads closed
- 4300 homes completely submerged
- 22 billion in damage and lost commerce
- toxic pollution from hog, chicken farms

NWS considering a different categorization system for hurricanes that accounts for more than sustained wind speed to counter the tendency of humans to resist evacuation on lower numbered categories of storms.