The Hurricane Thread

52 messages Options
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: The Hurricane Thread

Not sure...

He wouldn't leave if asked too any way...that's Richard..

"Peace and Love"
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote

he has a full house generator and was watching tv..
When my parents built their house my dad put one of these in. Throw one switch and the entire house is lit up. When building new the cost is peanuts and worth it's weight in gold when needed.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

Add in an underground concrete bunker for the win.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

It looks like a class 5 shiticane boys.....

marznc marznc
Reply |

JasonWx wrote
today's run has it going into the NC and parking it's self there for days. no impact on us..but that can change
The rain after landfall is going to continue thru the weekend.  Flooding expected to be worse than after Hurricane Matthew, which a lot of people remember all too well.  Rivers won't crest for another day or two.  Some places have received 15+ inches of rain already, sometimes at rates of 3+ inches per hour.

Sections of I-95 and I-40 in eastern NC are closed already.

I figured out why I look at max wind gusts more than the sustained wind predictions.  Downed trees because of soaked roots is the bigger problem where I live when hurricanes hit the Carolinas.  All it takes is one gust to push down a tree on a road or power line to cause problems for hours or even days.  Lost power at my house for 12 hours yesterday, long before the rains were heavy around Raleigh.  But a minor inconvenience compared to what's happening to folks who live along the coast.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Sounds like your buddy was lucky.  Authorities have water rescued nearly 1000 people statewide and over 20% were from the cape fear flood zone.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
marznc marznc
Reply |

I-40 is closed due to flooding all the way from I-95 to Wilmington.  I don't remember that happening since that section of I-40 was completed in 1990.

Fayetteville and Lumberton are the bigger cities getting the brunt of the river flooding because the storm center is taking so long to move out of SC.  Was creeping at about 3mph most of the day.  In addition to the Cape Fear River, the Lumber River and the Pee Dee are expected to end up well over flood stage, probably a few feet higher than Hurricane Matthew.  The Lumber and Pee Dee go into SC and end near Myrtle Beach.  Central NC is getting a lot more rain tonight after getting soaked as the storm came across Wilmington.

It's bad and still getting worse in quite a few counties.  The Cape Fear River isn't expected to crest until Tuesday morning.  It drains into the Atlantic at Wilmington.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

I'm supposed to play in a member/guest at Carolina National a week from Thursday. Gonna be interesting to see if it still goes.
marznc marznc
Reply |

MC2 5678F589 wrote
I'm supposed to play in a member/guest at Carolina National a week from Thursday. Gonna be interesting to see if it still goes.
Do you mean near Myrtle Beach?  Latest estimate for restoring power in that county is by midnight on Wed, Sept. 19 for the customers served by Duke Energy.

Were you going to drive or fly?
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

JasonWx wrote

the fact that the cam is still working and flag is sill flying ,shows to me that the storm is not living up to the hype..

This cracked me up

And now these are even funnier