The Hurricane Thread

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Hurricane Thread

bumps
Already several days old but has this ever happened in the history of NOAA: a storm forecast retraction?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/07/sharpiegate-trump-alabama-hurricane-dorian
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Sorry, man, we're not allowed to talk about the President (and his group of sycophantic toadies), even though there is a thread titled "Was Obama the worst President?" if you go back far enough (or search).

Rules are rules, and camp will whine like nothing else if you even think about putting a political comment in here.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
On the subject of Hurricanes..

The GFS has been advertising a storm that will make Dorian look like a spring shower , taking a similar track ..
But it's in the 200 + hr..so one needs to take it with a grain of salt..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Sorry, man, we're not allowed to talk about the President (and his group of sycophantic toadies)
Noted. Setting aside the political context, can we address the general question -- has NOAA ever publicly apologized for a blown forecast?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
No.

Weather forecasting (like stock picking or sports predicting) is one of those professions where you're allowed to be wrong a lot and there are no repercussions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
There are bound to be remnants that I missed. Each thread has to be moved into PC one at a time. I addressed the one in question.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by bumps
bumps wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Sorry, man, we're not allowed to talk about the President (and his group of sycophantic toadies)
Noted. Setting aside the political context, can we address the general question -- has NOAA ever publicly apologized for a blown forecast?
They might have said something about the Sandy forecast..
also the Mayor Lindsey snow storm...that was one of the biggest forecast blunders ever..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
There are bound to be remnants that I missed. Each thread has to be moved into PC one at a time. I addressed the one in question.
Yeah, it's fine. I wasn't complaining about the admin. Just the selective outrage by some forum members about when we can talk about politics and when we can't
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I didnt remember that they messed up Sandy.

What was mayor Lindsey thing?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Lindsy storm..

snow turning to rain little to no accumulation...some areas picked up close to 30" ...NYC  was a mess for days
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
On the subject of Hurricanes..

The GFS has been advertising a storm that will make Dorian look like a spring shower , taking a similar track ..
But it's in the 200 + hr..so one needs to take it with a grain of salt..
Only got 1 inch of rain at my house when Dorian went up the NC coast a couple days ago.  No major issues in NC west of I-95.  The bigger threat inland turned out to be tornados, including one that wiped out a trailer park well before any rain along the coast.  This time it was the northern NC coast that was pummeled.

The hard hit that seemed to be unexpected was in Canada.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49624138
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/07/us/hurricane-dorian-saturday-wxc/index.html
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Oh shit, watch out Alabama: