Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Hurricane Thread

marznc
marznc wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
This one: http://carolinanationalgolfclub.com

About 45 minutes north of Myrtle Beach, near Southport, NC. We're going to drive this time (tourney starts on the 27th).
That's what I thought.  Not sure where you start from, but my usual route via I-81 to to US29 and south from Danville may be better to avoid I-95 in NC.
The alternative route thru VA to Myrtle Beach taking I-81 to Roanoke and going south on US220 to Greensboro takes about an hour longer than the usual route via DC & Richmond on I-95.  Given how much of I-95 is closed due to flooding right now and damage, that's what I would recommend in the next week or more.  I do everything I can to avoid traffic along the I-95 corridor around DC/Baltimore.  Have been taking US301 to RT207 lately when I have reasons to drive thru NJ on the Turnpike or I-295.

The NC DOT is still recommending people get off I-95 onto I-85 to avoid the closed sections of I-95.

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Discovered that there is something called the NC Flood Inundation Mapping and Alert Network.

https://fiman.nc.gov/fiman/About.aspx

The gauge database for a few locations includes every building in the potential flood zone near the gauge with a color-coded indication of what flood level will cause flooding for each building.  The one I happened to look at is for Black River at NC 210, one of the gauges with flood levels currently still rising (purple).

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Some years ago my mom saw this happening on the beach in Florida. She called me to tell me about all the people running up and cutting off hunks. Somehow back then I wished I was there....
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Florence impact continues:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article218791660.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
UNC-Wilmington will be completely closed until at least Oct. 1.  Univ. administrators are working hard to figure out how to salvage the fall semester.  Some buildings have major damage.  Opened up campus for a few hours to allow students to retrieve vehicles they left there.  Have canceled Fall Break and Reading Day to get back a few days.

The UNCW website was taken down before the storm as a precaution.  Won't be up again until power is reliable for all portals accessed by the main website.  They put up a temporary website for status updates.  Happened to find out because my daughter is applying and was looking for info today.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
The losses to farm livestock are already much higher than from Hurricane Matthew two years ago.  NC is the second in the nation in hog production so the impact goes far beyond one state.  The flooding covers more counties and seems to be lasting longer because of how long it took for the storm to move north after landfall.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article218610365.html

Pictures of flooding on the Cape Fear River Sept. 16-18, starting two days after landfall.

http://time.com/5399441/north-carolina-cape-fear-river-flooding/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Some rivers are still rising.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Seems like Hurricane Michael has gotten less "hype?"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
it sure has...
less flooding with this one, but i bet we see a ton of structural damage..

Florence stalled , Michael keeps on moving..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
Seems like Hurricane Michael has gotten less "hype?"
Still getting plenty of coverage in NC because more flooding and high winds is expected in areas that are will water logged from Florence.  Some rain predictions are over 5 inches in central NC, which includes where I live near Raleigh.  At least the coastal areas are not expecting to get much rain this time.

UNC Wilmington just started classes on 10/8 and have had to cancel them for late this week due to predicted tropical storm winds and rain.  There are dorms that are still not ready for occupancy.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This time it was the high winds that did the damage in central NC.  There are major power outages all over the state.  Some flooding expected but different rivers than for Hurricane Florence.  Just over 600,000 without power as of 7:30pm on Oct. 11.  A lot of traffic lights are out in Raleigh.

It was a good thing the NC State Fair didn't open.  Some big trees down at the fairgrounds.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Holy cow. What does the damage look if the storm take that track?  Could this be a miracle where it isn't too bad?

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It would seem like today & tomorrow are the big days.

"Powerful storm" by itself is less dangerous than people think it would be. "Powerful storm *moving very slowly*" is way more dangerous.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Could be a big rain event. If it makes that turn the coast will be on the less dangerous side of the storm
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
You are all lucky that you don't live in the Bahamas.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Would be kind of a weird ski forum if we did.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Would be kind of a weird ski forum if we did.
Imagine “Big Snow” in the Bahamas
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It was offered to me on my last vacation there.