classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
312 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Snowmaking/Operations Outlook Thread

snoloco
Hoyt's is my favorite Lookout trail.  I haven't actually been on Lookout Below yet, but I like skiing the full length of WT.

I don't see it being any harder to open Wilmington than the opening day route.  They're about the same length.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Way rockier
They blasted almost the whole thing
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by snoloco
I think this belongs here...
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Seems like Whiteface weathered the r*in quite well.  Didn't lose any trails according to today's report.

Also they're now reporting Upper Wilderness open, which I didn't think they blew snow on.  Maybe they did, but it wasn't reported.

Skyward hasn't been groomed yet, but it looks like there's plenty of snow (enough to groom) on it from seeing the video they put on youtube and they might be finished up there.  They kept the guns on until they didn't have the temps on Monday night.  I think they started blowing there on the 28th.  If so, that's 6 days of straight snowmaking.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Monday there was an inversion and they were blowing some really wet snow up high but hey its going to rain so what difference does it make long term.  They will wait until it gets cold and then groom it all is my take.  They were blowing on Upper Wilderness on Monday.

It rained off and on but we didn't have a down pour gully washer so probably no really harm done except putting even more moisture in the snow pack to get firm once the temps drop this week.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Does it look like Skyward is finished and they just need to groom or do they still need to make more snow there?

Wilderness will need more snow for the bump contest.

If they're done on Skyward, then they can start setup on Wilmington, and light it up once Wilderness is done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Skyward had significant snow when I skied it on Monday.  Upper Wilderness skied well also, no guns late morning Monday.  No sure if enough (on both) but certainly not even close to bottoming out.  Niagara huge sick bumps.  So much snow.....so little time......
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
I think it makes sense to blow snow there for another couple of days and then move on.
the way this year is shaping up, I can see them repeating snow making on some trails.

The bumps on Niagra on Monday were great.

I heard that yesterday was pretty nice as well....Alas, I wont be back until Saturday when it will be cold...real cold.

might have to break out the crockpot.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
At this point, I see opening Wilmington at the absolute top priority.  MLK Saturday is the busiest day of the year and it will be a disaster if one of the lifts isn't open.

Blowing snow on open trails can wait.  Terrain expansion comes first.

Last I was there on December 16th, they had plenty of snow everywhere that is open, and really no need to resurface anything.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Wilmington I would think is low priority, its like Sagamore at Gore its not very high up on the list plus its very rocky
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Wilmington starts at 4000 feet, but goes down to the base.  It ends about the same elevation as Sagamore does.  The top section is quite rocky, but it isn't as bad on the lower section.

As a trail, it shouldn't really be a high priority, but it has to open before Hoyt's and Lookout Below can be opened.  They also need to get that lift up and running for MLK weekend or it will be a crowded mess on the other upper lifts, which normally don't line up.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Gore now reporting snowmaking on Echo.  Good to hear, that's one of my favorite trails.  Hopefully they can open it by the weekend.

Sleeping Bear is still the only North Side trail open, and there isn't a second route to the summit.  They have to open Tahawus for the Burnt Ridge connector to open also.  My guess is rectifying those issues are high priority.  I also want to see Chatiemac open soon.  It's my favorite upper mountain trail.

If Whiteface fails to open Lookout for MLK Weekend, I'm skiing Gore at least one of the days, especially with Sagamore likely to open soon also.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Sagamore is my favorite slpoe in New York.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Love to bomb that run. Midweek, groomed,,,,,, v-room !
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
snoloco wrote
Gore now reporting snowmaking on Echo.  Good to hear, that's one of my favorite trails.  Hopefully they can open it by the weekend.

Sleeping Bear is still the only North Side trail open, and there isn't a second route to the summit.  They have to open Tahawus for the Burnt Ridge connector to open also.  My guess is rectifying those issues are high priority.  I also want to see Chatiemac open soon.  It's my favorite upper mountain trail.

If Whiteface fails to open Lookout for MLK Weekend, I'm skiing Gore at least one of the days, especially with Sagamore likely to open soon also.
I am sure your comments will go right to top of the suggestion list.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Snowmaking was not restarted on Skyward,  ut was on Wilderness.  Can someone who's there today update if they appear to be setting up to blow Wilmington?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno

I'm going to ask you to cease and desist you obsession with snowmaking on Wilmington Trail.  You will know they are blowing on it when there is no blowing activity on any other trails besides the fan guns.  It takes all the pumping capacity to blow that so they cant do that and wilderness and all the others at the same time.  It is a low priority in my mind.  Also except for the bottom which they do last you cant see them blowing it from the ski area.  You can see it from Pale Face in Jay on Rt 86 but that is about it.

Like I said a few times now when they finish Wilderness they probably will blow Mac and maybe Upper Parkway.  They don't like to have to haul the guns all the way up to Lookout and then back to the Mt Run Pod.  Once they get up to Lookout they will do all three trails over the course of a couple weeks.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
oh its blowing on Wilmington trail today!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
14 whole pages now on snowmaking operations.

WTF?
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
please ski Gore every day.

We have had many MLK's without Lookout Mountain open.   Maybe we will have it this year, maybe we wont....

Lets appreciate what we do have.

skyward, skyward, skyward, skyward,

All of wilderness
Mountain Run
Drapers
Thurway
Essex
Approach
nice blue trails
and a grill.
1 ... 45678910 ... 16