1 ... 13141516
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Snowmaking/Operations Outlook Thread

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
Over the last few days I've directed some of my bitching at what's going on higher up, like the gov pumping 20mil into Gore and Whiteface and not a single dollar for snowmaking.
FIFY
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Write it, put it down, leave it for a few hours.  If you come back and read it, and it doesn't sound batshit crazy to you....post.
NO!  NO!  Nobody should do that.  MORE people should post EXACTLY what they are thinking, especially after a few wobbly pops.  Other peoples' train wrecks is fun.  And a good way to identify one's own weaknesses.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Mrs. Grillman thinks that Sno needs to chill and stop by for a "hot dog" or a "lamb chop."

She also enjoys reading his "entertaining posts."

She thinks he should relax, and ski more...and learn to love whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
While I certainly act like an Internet tough guy on this thread about this topic, I always make a point of praising the Whiteface snowtribe guys when I see them on the hill during and after a good day of skiing.  It's a hard job to do,
very trumpian of you.  

No one respects anyone who calls people liars when in fact while you were typing away with your tiny little trump fingers they were out there in the cold night and day burying trails.  Doing exactly what you were erroneously accusing them of not doing.  

Are you sure you didn't vote for trump?  

don't be like trump.  know before you speak and act.  

very, very disappointed in you.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Right now, I'm not too concerned about snow conditions at other mountains because the conditions are looking very favorable for Woodstream this weekend.

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
What do you use to pound out that whaleback?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yes I was wondering the same. I want to see video, time lapse if necessary.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper

D.B. Cooper wrote
What do you use to pound out that whaleback?
That pile took about 16 hours to pound out. All afternoon and through the night on Monday.

I have a high pressure water pump below grade from my pond that pushes about 10 GPM with pressures anywhere between 400 and 600 PSI, and it runs on Gas.  I also have a 5 HP electric compressor closer to the house that provides compressed air to the system. There are 6 hydrants across the hill. I can run 3 guns, but I usually run 2, because I like to run them at 5 GPM per. IDEALLY, I will upgrade to a 15 GPM pump for next season but with the same motor which can easily handle a bigger load.  I was on a budget this season and got this used one for cheap. And, I have 3 homemade snowguns.

Here's some more pics. All taken on Monday. I'm pretty stoked. I was pretty conservative with snowmaking up until this point, because I was still trying to learn this new system, and we were receiving warm weather after every cold snap. Things are looking great now.

These pics below were taken while running 3 guns at once so the plume is smaller due to fewer open nozzles.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Very impressive how you put the snow out.  Way cool!  However, what I think enquiring minds want to know is.....how you gonna knock down that snowmaking whale and "groom it out"?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .

Like I said, I was running three guns on Monday. the other two I would move around and just create small deposits of snow that are relatively close together, and require minimal grooming. This large pile however, will become a jump/ landing and will require some shovel work to shape it, but it's basically already in the location where it needs to be.

Harvey, I do hope to make some kind of snowmaking edit this year. It's difficult because most of the action happens at night, and nighttime videos don't come out well. Joe Snow is my video guy and I am going to have to petition him to do some filming when I fire back up tomorrow afternoon.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Whiteface started snowmaking on Wilmington on Saturday mid day and is opening it tomorrow.  6 days from the start of snowmaking to the trail opening.  Looks like they didn't let the whales drain out before grooming, but have left the guns on for the time being to keep it fresh.

Early next week still looks good for snowmaking, so they'll either deepen up Wilmington or move to Hoyt's or LBO.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
1 ... 13141516