classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
312 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Snowmaking/Operations Outlook Thread

snoloco
The correct answer is 428.  I'll find out the totals on the other lifts in due time.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
Face4Me wrote
I know this one ....

The correct answer is "Who gives a shit?"
Now that's some funny shit...Thanks for a good laugh guys

Can't take credit for it ... At the seven minute mark  ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CzbXA53I24

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Hahaha good one man love those skits
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Gore just announced that the ski bowl opens this weekend while Whiteface hasn't started snowmaking on Lookout yet.  Not fair!!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
The correct answer is 428.  I'll find out the totals on the other lifts in due time.
"It's a little known fact....."

- Cliff Clavin
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Junior
snoloco wrote
Gore just announced that the ski bowl opens this weekend while Whiteface hasn't started snowmaking on Lookout yet.  Not fair!!
Life's not fair, bro
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Don't worry snow, echo is closed for racing all weekend and sagamore isn't blown yet so no burnt ridge either.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
So the Gore report shows the Hudson Chair opening tomorrow, but it's not connected to the rest of the mountain, so I'm not even going to consider it open.  No way I'm confining myself down there all day nor am I going to attempt to take the shuttle bus between them (not sure if they even have one between the Ski Bowl and the main base).  Well I won't do either because I'm going to Whiteface both days this weekend.

They blew snow on Oak Ridge and Peaceful Valley, and it appears Moxham is open on natural snow, unless they blew there and didn't report it.  It had plumbing added for last year, as did 46er.  I really thought they should've blown Sagamore first, and then expanded to the Ski Bowl once they could've connected it.  Partly personal bias because Sagamore is my favorite Gore trail, followed by Chatiemac.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Well that and I'm sure there's still some desire to fulfill the Ski Bowl's original purpose, the reason it was built in the first place - to get people downtown NC. The Gov's courting private investors who would probably like to see the Bowl open. I hope the build at the SB Village. Quite a bit could be done there.

You def should ski it some day Sno whether the connector's open or not. Plus, isn't the Ski Bowl one of the very first ski areas in the whole country ? As a Loco you should ski it.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I've skied it many times.  First in December 2012 on all natural snow.  Skied it a couple times later that year, and in 14-15.  Will do so again as soon as the connection is open.  I'm hoping to get on 46er at some point this year.  Snowmaking was added last year, but was never used.  I'm saying I think they should open Sagamore first because it allows for that lift to be more useful, and provides access to nearby glades.  It's also my favorite Gore trail .  One of my other personal favorites is Moxham at the Ski Bowl.  I think Peaceful Valley sucks and Oak Ridge isn't much better.  There is a huge flat spot right at the top of the Village Chair that really hurts the flow of both runs.  Peaceful valley is incredibly boring at the top also.  Haven't had the chance to ski 46er or Hudson yet.

I've only skied Lookout Mtn at Whiteface 3 times.  February 2011, March 2013, and April 2015.  Notice a pattern?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
It seems like on average, every other year is a good year/bad year.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Whiteface must've known I was there yesterday and lit up Wilmington for only that purpose.   Looks like they already turned them off again.  Bunch of bait and switching liars.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Found out it was just an error in the report.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
snoloco wrote
Whiteface must've known I was there yesterday and lit up Wilmington for only that purpose.   Looks like they already turned them off again.  Bunch of bait and switching liars.
Delusions of grandeur anyone?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I definitely overreacted to a simple error in the snow report.  Someone updated it yesterday to show snowmaking was on Wilmington, and whoever updated it this morning probably clicked the snowmaking icon to show that guns were on Wilmington not knowing that it was already there and it showed them being off.

Later fb post by a customer confirmed that it was an error in the report and guns were on WT.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Pretty cool video of them lighting up the guns on Wilmington yesterday.  Well maybe only interesting to Ethan and I.

Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
snoloco wrote
Dude, you gotta chill out.  It just snowed close to 2 feet over this past weekend.  They are working WT...and I was in the gondola with some "higher up" peeps from management who even said that it could almost be open enough right now for experts if they really wanted to...

Look at the weather...get your homework done and get ready to rip next weekend man....
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
snoloco wrote
I seem to know more about lifts while Ethan knows more about snowmaking.  A lift trivia question for all of you is guess how many total sheave wheels are the towers of the Whiteface gondola?
I know this one ....

The correct answer is "Who gives a shit?"

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Now what's with the report?  Shows the guns have been turned off on Wilmington again.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Move them to Hoyt's!
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
1 ... 10111213141516