The Worst Day Since Yesterday

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
119 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Worst Day Since Yesterday

jimvdak
If I have my mind set on skiing on a particular day, the only thing that will stop me is if they close the mountain. I really don't like boilerplate, but if I'm set on skiing, I'll ski it (as long as my edges are sharp).

Worst day had to be last season when my brother and I took a risk driving up to Belleayre during a mixed precip. storm. I had been tracking the weather the whole day before up until i went to bed, and checked it again at 5am. The rain/snow line kept wavering right over catskills so I knew it was a risk. We got to the mountain early just as the snow turned to rain and it was POURING! There were rivers coming down the mountain after they recieved a few inches of snow overnight. Eventually it turned back to snow and everyone cheered (knew it still wouldnt be that great), so we headed out. It was like skiing through cement. If you slowed down or stopped, good luck getting anywhere. We were absolutely soaked by the end of the day but I'm not gunna lie, I'm glad we went.

I'm also not a huge fan of fog when I don't know the mountain...I almost killed my boyfriend (not by accident) when he took us down a trail at Whiteface we hadn't skiied before when I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me.
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
I know, I dug up an old one...
My worst ski day was at Gore on 4/7/13 when they closed the mountain early due to some clouds in the sky.  I actually said I would never go back, but I caved only 2 weeks later.
I would like to hear this story.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Whine post of the year

Seems as if what was done is better than getting stuck on the lift for some extended period
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
skimore wrote
Whine post of the year
Yeah, I do my fair share of whining, but closing 45 minutes early because of a lightning storm when there were very few people on the hill on a Sunday afternoon in April seems pretty legit to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote
I know, I dug up an old one...
My worst ski day was at Gore on 4/7/13 when they closed the mountain early due to some clouds in the sky.  I actually said I would never go back, but I caved only 2 weeks later.
I would like to hear this story.

Well now that you've heard it, what do you think?
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
DackerDan wrote
They should have gone down to the bar and gotten some cheese and crackers to go with the whine.

(It wasn't even a fine whine).
I'm underage, so that wouldn't work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Agree with Sick Bird Rider.  A bad day on skis is better than a good day at work.  That having been said, my worst day?  It wasn't the first edition of the late, lamented Great Glen to Bretton Woods marathon.  Day b4 the race, is was ~60, then the temperature plummeted to below freezing overnight.  So the tracks were ungroomable ice; my klister wore off within 3 km and then it was a double pole derby. Them was some scary downhills.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Peter Minde wrote
Agree with Sick Bird Rider.  A bad day on skis is better than a good day at work.  
I've had a day exiting the woods at 11pm. 5hrs of it in pushing through the densest trees imaginable in a full on blizzard. Another couple hrs in the dark navigating a creek bed with frozen waterfalls all while making about 4 turns for the 15 hrs. Then add the borrowed spotted cars alarm was set we reached it and no fob to shut it off.............I 'd rather been at work
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
skimore wrote
I've had a day exiting the woods at 11pm. 5hrs of it in pushing through the densest trees imaginable in a full on blizzard. Another couple hrs in the dark navigating a creek bed with frozen waterfalls all while making about 4 turns for the 15 hrs. Then add the borrowed spotted cars alarm was set we reached it and no fob to shut it off.............I 'd rather been at work
But after a hot meal, a few beers and a little time, all that probably seemed like a grand adventure, eh?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Sick Bird Rider wrote
But after a hot meal, a few beers and a little time, all that probably seemed like a grand adventure, eh?
Still reminisced about
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
Well, the tale was entertaining and oddly? not that surprising.

What are the rules on lightning?

Last summer we joined a pool and they made us get out when any thunder was heard.  They required 15 minutes without thunder to let us back in.  We usually just went home as it seemed to happen at days end.

I wouldn't want to be the guy who ran the gondi with people in it when it was struck by lighting.  Aaron told me the lifts on WF get hit often.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
My most redonkulous winter adventure was also about getting out well after dark.  The thing was I secretly had a great time.

One of my ski partners was way overmatched, and the other had significant gear issues.  But I was comfortable. We were following an old road, now known as the Raymond Brook Ski Trail.  At the time it was a faint road in the woods.  

Somehow with a crystal clear night, a million stars but no moon, I really felt I could see.  And I was warm and dry.

Meanwhile my overmatched partner was having trouble. A layer of sleet that was barely noticeable at 2500 feet was REALLY crunchy at 1500.

My under prepared partner had three pin leather Asolos, really light boots, and the holes were worn pretty wide.  His bail popped and his ski was gone. And... it was WHITE. WTF!

Eventually we came out down at the Riverwood (local North Creek honky tonk) at around 9pm.

I estimated we made SIX mistakes, and if we'd have made any THREE of them, we'd have been fine.

Here's the tale of the day:

http://nyskiblog.com/the-secret-ski/

My most scary moment in the woods was in summer. Solo camping deep in the Siamese, with a coyote or coydog or wolf circling my tent and howling.  Holy $hit was I scared.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
DackerDan wrote
They should have gone down to the bar and gotten some cheese and crackers to go with the whine.

(It wasn't even a fine whine).
I'm underage, so that wouldn't work.
your just doing it wrong
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Noah John wrote
Well, the tale was entertaining and oddly? not that surprising.
I don't think his Dad hits him enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
^ NJ, that comment is totally out of line. You should delete it before it gets deleted for you. Then apologize to Snoloco. And do not argue with me about it. Nobody should get away with making offhand comments like that regarding domestic violence.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Fuck off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It'd be easier if you could refrain from those kind of comments. Think about the audience, snoloco is 14.

In another thread you asked about costs involved with NYSB. I put time/effort this past summer into building the advanced profile feature — Sex, Age, Location — to help you understand members in context. It wasn't free.

I hate dedicating energy to this kind of crap. Don't make work for the moderators.