428 messages Options
1 ... 1819202122
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The latest ORDA Screwup

SIAWOL
trackbiker wrote
I don't think they would ever let Twin Fawns bump up. It's off the Sunway Chair that a lot of beginners take and that area is sort of a beginners area.
The Arena seems wide enough that they could let part of that bump up. Blue Mountain lets half of their Main Street trail bump up (they actually seed it). The Arena would be great for watching from the patio in front of the lodge.
Around the 2010-2012 seasons (as best as I can remember), the skiers right of Arena was left to bump up.

Yeah its been years since they let Arena bump up on the right in the spring. Was never a full year commitment, however. Now they're using that area every weekend for either a carving course, gate training, or rail jam thing (whatever those are). "The Arena's like a box of chocolates...."

I wouldn't dis the Twin Fawns idea. Sure it's a beginner's area, but you really don't see a lot of beginners on Twin Fawns--they mostly take Jamboree. And if its bumped up, they're even less likely to take it--especially as they can see it clearly from the lift. TF isn't exactly shown a lot of love by the ops crew--which is fine. Just blow a bit on it and then let it be. See what happens 1 winter. Maybe people use it, maybe not. But it doesn't seem like a big investment on the mountain's part to try.

3/19/2011

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2019/07/olympic-center-to-get-100m-overhaul/

$100 million on Olympic center
$62m for Vanho

And Whiteface gets a minor snowmaking capacity increase when things are being held together with chew gum during the ski season.

How did the priorities get this screwed up?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Z wrote
https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2019/07/olympic-center-to-get-100m-overhaul/

$100 million on Olympic center
$62m for Vanho

And Whiteface gets a minor snowmaking capacity increase when things are being held together with chew gum during the ski season.

How did the priorities get this screwed up?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
162 million could do some amazing things for a ski area.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Last weekend, 5 October, we brought my cousin and his lady to the top of Whiteface to see leaves at peak foliage.  As the steps to the top were covered with a layer of ice, we went to use the elevator.  Guess what?  It was out of service!  Two years and probably as many millions and the elevator wasn't working on probably the busiest day of the year.

A story to tell when they get back to Tampa.....
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Operating elevators is harder then it looks?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
There was an hour long wait at the toll booth to drive up to the summit on Sunday afternoon
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Z wrote
There was an hour long wait at the toll booth to drive up to the summit on Sunday afternoon
How many cars is that?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
Z wrote
How many cars is that?
I would guess they have to count how many have gone through and throttle back the traffic once they know they’re out of parking spaces at the top. Then as people come back down and exit they can let more through. Maybe a local can confirm?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Brownski wrote
Harvey wrote
Z wrote
How many cars is that?
I would guess they have to count how many have gone through and throttle back the traffic once they know they’re out of parking spaces at the top. Then as people come back down and exit they can let more through. Maybe a local can confirm?
You've used complete common sense. We're talking about NYS here so there's no way that's how they do it
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
You've used complete common sense. We're talking about NYS here so there's no way that's how they do it
Nobody up there ever worked a door I guess?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Harvey wrote
Z wrote
How many cars is that?
I was wondering how the existence of a wait to go up the toll road represents an ORDA screw up.

Is ORDA even responsible?  The DEC maintains the highway, I believe.

I suppose if the toll house was undermanned it could be considered a screw up on someone’s part.  However, if it was just traffic management, or having to wait your turn to pay the toll....it was probably only your own screw up by not getting there earlier!

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Good point. APA probably - and lots of people wanting to use the road is probably evidence of good marketing, not a screw up. They screwed up by not putting in a four lane highway and a large parking garage on the peak?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote

I was wondering how the existence of a wait to go up the toll road represents an ORDA screw up.

Same here
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
campgottagopee wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

Same here
I believe he has referring to the elevator not working on the busiest day of the year. Not the traffic.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
trackbiker wrote
campgottagopee wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

Same here
I believe he has referring to the elevator not working on the busiest day of the year. Not the traffic.
Yeah, I got DB’s point about the elevator.  Just not sure how Z’s complaint about the traffic related.    Maybe it was just an extension of the conversation....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Sorry I wasn’t saying that it was a screw up.  Should have been clear on that.  Just an observation to add on to discussion of the elevator not working

It’s good for Orda from a money stand point.  They were letting limited numbers up and turned cars away that had less than a quarter tank of gas

From a environmental stand point huge numbers of cars burning fuel slowly crawling up the Mt to climb up there is probably a bad idea particularly if they are saying it could burn a quarter tank of gas.  Given the Govs stance on all things CO2 related maybe the Hwy should be shutdown and the Gondi utilized as a more green alternative.  That whiny teen Greta whatever could fly her private jet to the Daks and protest.  

shows how interested city folk are with colored leaves I guess
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
Just a question for season pass 3 pass.
When u buy season pass for all 3 in early November
Do they give choice pick it locally like bell. But then I decide I want to go to Gore. Do i to choose which hill picking it up at? When making credit card transaction
Question 2 is if I choose for it to come to my address does it go in mail quick after transaction so I buy it tomorrow I get by early next week ( can I do pictures through my phone or that something that get done only at the hill?
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
Last year I purchased the ski3 through Belleayre’s website. Were at whiteface at the end of the summer and asked for our passes. The lady at the counter printed them then gave us a hard time saying you need to pick them up at the mountain you bought from. Something about making sure the waiver was signed and paperwork in order. I said we bought online and signed the waiver there and she ended up giving us our passes. I wouldn’t count on that happening again as it does say somewhere that you must pick up at the mtn you bought from.

As far as how long it takes to get a new pass, I’m still waiting on the 19-20 pass. Went to the fall fest at Belleayre and the passes weren’t ready as they didn’t have the new RFID pass media yet. They said if you fill out an envelope with address they will mail to you when they get it. Nothing yet though.

If you end up buying one just go to guest services at any mountain and they’ll give you a day ticket if you don’t have your pass yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by ScottySkis1
I buy my pass online at Gore but I've always been able to ski Whiteface before I picked up my pass. Last year I uploaded a picture and they printed my pass at the ticket counter inside. It was faster than buying a day ticket.

This year they aren't gonna mail passes until the RFID is ready, so maybe not at all. Until then you need to pick up a bar code pass.  It seems easy to print a bar code on an RFID card, but... ORDA.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
1 ... 1819202122